Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    We have enough hacks around here posing as contractors that if left to freewill would be downright scary.
    Haha. Fucking hacks.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

It’ll be interesting to see how rebuilding in Mexico City plays out. FEMA may remap some of that area as a wave velocity flood hazard, which technically can not have rebuild. They did his in MS after Katrina, but then FEMA created an exclusion/exemption for that area of MS because of a powerful congressman who would have loss some powerful supporters. They can’t do that every time....

Honest question, does anyone know a plan reviewer or inspector(public sector, not private) that has been sued? Anchorage may be a bit different than the rest of the country, but just about every engineering or architectural firm up here has some story of litigation, but I've yet to hear of a building official or rep being held accountable for construction, yet they can yield an inappropriate amount of sway in design/construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    Honest question, does anyone know a plan reviewer or inspector(public sector, not private) that has been sued? Anchorage may be a bit different than the rest of the country, but just about every engineering or architectural firm up here has some story of litigation, but I've yet to hear of a building official or rep being held accountable for construction, yet they can yield an inappropriate amount of sway in design/construction.
    It's really hard to successfully sue the government.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Liability for design is with the designer
    Liability for construction is with the contractor
    The jurisdiction has no liability unless jurisdiction policy created an issue. Jurisdictional review of work does not constitute certification of quality

Only issue we had in over 20 years, got red flagged on med gases on a dentist office build, we gave bid to Aire Liquid instead of Airgas, turns out inspectors dad was local Airgas guy.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Only issue we had in over 20 years, got red flagged on med gases on a dentist office build, we gave bid to Aire Liquid instead of Airgas, turns out inspectors dad was local Airgas guy.
    That's why we need full transparency and recusal in just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    I was looking at salvaging/moving three houses in Reno a very long time ago becuase they had been built on a gully that was dozed and filled without proper compaction. The settling was brutal and the county took the hit in a lawsuit for not thoroughly inspecting the compaction.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I was looking at salvaging/moving three houses in Reno a very long time ago becuase they had been built on a gully that was dozed and filled without proper compaction. The settling was brutal and the county took the hit in a lawsuit for not thoroughly inspecting the compaction.
    How in the hell did that happen ? We had major shrink swell issues in a neighborhood nearby back in the 70's.The county didn't properly certify the soil conditions and related foundation systems.

Contractors built shit that heaved and buckled to the tune of millions and millions. The county skated completely. The only result was an enforcement system that went way overboard and fucked with every contractor, and architect for years about piddling little shit.

Usually you have to show the municipality knowingly aggravated a situation to sue.
    My opinion is that structural issues should have to be supervised and signed off on by properly bonded, private companies that have an actual liability exposure. Many localities won't allow third party inspections.

Settlements were confidential but many parties sued in this one.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/lates...210025959.html

Materials folks, builders, city, realtors...a lot of finger pointing. You could see the old landslide path above the houses from the hiking trail nearby. Not sure how this ever became a project and then not sure how people buying the houses didn't look up the hill and ask about the old landslide.

How many of you guys have this?

1. In Summit County Colorado, a landowner/homeowner can no longer pull their own building permit to say GC their own house without taking a Codes Test , must pass with 80% first time, and must provide their own code books. If you fail, you must hire a licensed GC to build for you. Remember even if you were to GC your own project, you still have to pull permits, and get and pass inspections on each phase.

2. You want to do anything that falls under the jurisdicktion of the Engineering department, (e.g. fix driveway to prevent water from draining toward your house, clear/grade more than 500 sf (20x25, 10x50, etc) to add a deck or portable storage shed, etc) However, your drive way is "U" shaped or your driveway has a slope greater than 8% in first 25' and or 10% in the balance). Engineering says you must rip out your driveway in order to get permit for your other project. And, driveway must conform to all new ordinance and code. So, if it was within 50' of an intersection (no matter how small intersection) and the rest of the lot does not have good grade for the entrance, you are fucked, or no where can you achieve <8%/10% without a massive excavation job (import, export of soils, etc)

This is just the tip of the iceburg in Summit County. And, this from the people that pass site silt fence installations that are completely put in backwards. (what is backwards? where the wood posts are on the wrong side of the screen/fence ~ meaning in movement of heavy water/silt the fence will pull away from the posts and collapse rendering hazard ~ so yes important) Massive rookie stoopid , but lets prevent someone from keeping moisture out of their basement without tearing out their driveway of 32yrs (not me btw)

3. endless....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Settlements were confidential but many parties sued in this one.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/lates...210025959.html

Materials folks, builders, city, realtors...a lot of finger pointing. You could see the old landslide path above the houses from the hiking trail nearby. Not sure how this ever became a project and then not sure how people buying the houses didn't look up the hill and ask about the old landslide.
    Smell the freedom. No nanny-state bullshit here! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Why not just poured concrete houses?
    Prohibitively expensive. Lumber and drywall are cheap relative to concrete and rebar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Prohibitively expensive. Lumber and drywall are cheap relative to concrete and rebar.
    I wonder how many times a joint has to be rebuilt before it starts to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Smell the freedom. No nanny-state bullshit here! ;-)
    Taught them a lesson for buying a McMansion. I see no issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Wonder what a poured conc. structure does to a homeowners policy yearly premium ? I don't think it's prohibitively expensive, but definitely 15-20% more ?? I'm guessing of course.

Well replacement cost would be higher but risk would be lower, it shouldn't be much of a factor I wouldn't think.

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    How many of you guys have this?

1. In Summit County Colorado, a landowner/homeowner can no longer pull their own building permit to say GC their own house without taking a Codes Test , must pass with 80% first time, and must provide their own code books. If you fail, you must hire a licensed GC to build for you. Remember even if you were to GC your own project, you still have to pull permits, and get and pass inspections on each phase.

2. You want to do anything that falls under the jurisdicktion of the Engineering department, (e.g. fix driveway to prevent water from draining toward your house, clear/grade more than 500 sf (20x25, 10x50, etc) to add a deck or portable storage shed, etc) However, your drive way is "U" shaped or your driveway has a slope greater than 8% in first 25' and or 10% in the balance). Engineering says you must rip out your driveway in order to get permit for your other project. And, driveway must conform to all new ordinance and code. So, if it was within 50' of an intersection (no matter how small intersection) and the rest of the lot does not have good grade for the entrance, you are fucked, or no where can you achieve <8%/10% without a massive excavation job (import, export of soils, etc)

This is just the tip of the iceburg in Summit County. And, this from the people that pass site silt fence installations that are completely put in backwards. (what is backwards? where the wood posts are on the wrong side of the screen/fence ~ meaning in movement of heavy water/silt the fence will pull away from the posts and collapse rendering hazard ~ so yes important) Massive rookie stoopid , but lets prevent someone from keeping moisture out of their basement without tearing out their driveway of 32yrs (not me btw)

3. endless....
    dude your killing me, almost fucking funny
    I could tell you lots of stories, but I can't
    just one of those things
    I can also argue ever point you made, but I'm not
    and no one could belive the stick that is in my ass right now
    I've got an appointment at a massage parlor in denver shortly and I"m not going to make it

and concrete prices are high as shit unless you live in a metro area, then you could consider them somewhat resonable
    that's just the material the labor and form work are crazy
    $8 sq ft will get the conversation started

foam block houses are popular but pretty stupid in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    <snip>
    I've got an appointment at a massage parlor in denver shortly
    One of those along the interstate that promises a Happy Ending?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    His last post had details on the lot that I was not aware of, and AFAIK are not available on the public county website showing building permits/ status/ inspections etc. (I've looked at the county building website and I don't have any special login or access, just public records.)

I do not know if he reached out to someone local.
    Chups,

I didn't realize it until I read your original thread that I pedaled right by your place and the "afore" metioned construction site on a ride last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strava map.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	251524
    The building boom going on in that area as well as all of South Reno shows no signs of slowing down. All it takes is a drive down MRHWY towards Galena and a look at all the action on the South side of the road. Good luck with your new neighbors. Hopefully we"ll meet up at Rose sometime this winter. I'm in a 2017 Tacoma (Inferno Orange).