Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB Shimano XT or XTR 1x10 or 2x10

Hey Guys,

I have an old 3x9 Shimano setup that I'd just like to upgrade. I see I can't go to a 1x11 or 2x11 because of the spacing on the hubs. Anyone got anything?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Chain Reaction

WTB Shimano XT or XTR 1x10 or 2x10

I assume you are talking about a MTB hub? because you said XT or XTR which are MTB components.
    Then you say 2x11 which is road bike components??
    If you have a MTB hub, then 9, 10 and 11 speed Shimano MTB cassettes all fit on the same hub.
    So you could upgrade from a 3x9 to 1x11.
    If you're still confused.... then you should take it to your local bike shop instead of looking for parts on TGR.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 10-14-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Shimano XT/M8000 cassette, RD and shifter will work on your bike as-is.

Guess I should've researched a little better. Thanks for the info! Guess I'll go with a 1x11 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I assume you are talking about a MTB hub? because you said XT or XTR which are MTB components.
    If you have a MTB hub, then 9, 10 and 11 speed Shimano MTB cassettes all fit on the same hub.
    If you're still confused.... then you should take it to your local bike shop instead of looking for parts on TGR.
    Normally I would go to my local bike shop but my local bike shop right now doesn't speak English very well.

Shimano 11 speed XT m8000 11-42 or 11-46 $75
    Shimano 11 speed XT m8000 rear derailleur $65
    Shimano 11 speed XT m8000 shifter $40
    Just need to figure out if you want to put a dedicated 1x ring on the front. It will help with chain retention.
    If you have an older 5 bolt 110BCD crank the smallest ring you can get away with is a 34T. And will be trickier to find at $75
    If you have a 4 bolt 104 BCD crank you can go as small as 30T and find them as cheap as $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Shimano XT/M8000 cassette, RD and shifter will work on your bike as-is.
    I have a spare set of exactly this with a 104 bcd narrow wide chainring. NIP.

PM me with your email and I can send pictures along.

I've got a shimano deore xt fc-m760/761 crankset. I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest Mt Bike gear. Is the best option to go with a 1x11 and just replace a chainring? Do I leave the other chainrings on?

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    I've got a shimano deore xt fc-m760/761 crankset. I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest Mt Bike gear. Is the best option to go with a 1x11 and just replace a chainring? Do I leave the other chainrings on?
    Thats a 104 BCD crank, so for $25 bucks its best to get a narrow wide chainring to help with retention and better the chain line. You'd pull all three of the old rings off and put on the new single narrow wide.
    I also forgot to add a chain to your pick list.

AKPouge: I have a One Up 32t 1x ring and a 11-46 XT cassette which has virtually no wear. If interested let me know.

I personally prefer wide range 10-spd. You use a wide range 11-spd derailleur with a 10-spd shifter and a wide range 10spd cassette (like sunrace MX3 11-42t or 11-46t 10spd, but there are also cheaper and more expensive options).

You could run three chain rings in front for an ultra wide gearing setup, but most people will go to a single narrow wide. Take a look at the low gear you have now, that will help determine what chainring and cassette you want.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 10-15-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    I personally prefer wide range 10-spd. You use a wide range 11-spd derailleur with a 10-spd shifter and a wide range 10spd cassette (like sunrace MX3 11-42t or 11-46t 10spd, but there are also cheaper and more expensive options).
    Why would you fuck around with mix and match shit? For less than 200 bucks he can buy Shimano XT 8000 series 11 speed: Shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain. All pieces that were designed to work together?
    You know who has sunrace components on their bike? My 8 year old niece who bought her bike at Walmart in Nebraska.

All this shit was developed when the only 1x11 option was SRAM XX1 that required a special freehub, (usually new wheels) a $400 cassette, $400 derailure, $100 shifter and $75 chain.
    Its no longer 2012. We now have SLX and GX (NX?) level 1x11 from either SRAM or Shimano, and we don't need a black magic, voodoo type, shity special washer, and an extra long b-tension screw, to magically change a 10spd shifter to move an 11spd derailleur on a 10 speed cassette.
    Just buy the right shit and it works right out of the box.
    Your advice is the worst you can give. Because when you suggest this to someone and it does not work, they bring it to my shop and the mechanic ends up telling them, "buy the right shit. 10sp and 11sp don't mix".
    /rant

Why would you fuck around with mix and match shit? For less than 200 bucks he can buy Shimano XT 8000 series 11 speed: Shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain. All pieces that were designed to work together?
    You know who has sunrace components on their bike? My 8 year old niece who bought her bike at Walmart in Nebraska.

All this shit was developed when the only 1x11 option was SRAM XX1 that required a special freehub, (usually new wheels) a $400 cassette, $400 derailure, $100 shifter and $75 chain.
    Its no longer 2012. We now have SLX and GX (NX?) level 1x11 from either SRAM or Shimano, and we don't need a black magic, voodoo type, shity special washer, and an extra long b-tension screw, to magically change a 10spd shifter to move an 11spd derailleur on a 10 speed cassette.
    Just buy the right shit and it works right out of the box.
    Your advice is the worst you can give. Because when you suggest this to someone and it does not work, they bring it to my shop and the mechanic ends up telling them, "buy the right shit. 10sp and 11sp don't mix".
    /rant

Because 11-speed is fucking retarded and 10 speed works better. If I could get a viable wide range 8-speed, I'd be running that.

10spd shifters are directly compatible with 11 speed derailleurs, zero modification. Period.

But please feel free to continue felating the bike industry.

To be honest, I'm on a similar mix and match setup. Last year I went from 2x10 to 1x10. Shimano didn't have a wide range 10 speed cassette (do they now?), so I picked up an 11-42 sunrace. It worked really well but my knees were asking for a little lower gear so this spring I swapped that for a sunrace 11-46 cassette.

A few months later when my RD started to fail I replaced it with an m8000. It seems to follow the wide range cassette a bit better than the m785 that I had on there previously. The shifter is responsible for the indexing, not the derailleur, so 10 speed and 11 speed actually does mix. My thought was process was that when it's time to replace the cassette this time, I'll pick up an 11-speed shifter and an 11-speed cassette, although I might go with another sunrace (maybe 11-50). They're just so blasted heavy...

Aside from convenience, the spacing between the gears is much better on the sunrace than it is on the M8000 11-46. The Shimano has a 9 tooth jump whereas the Sunrace has a maximum of 6. I have no loyalty toward 10 speed vs 11 or 12. I don't believe it's the holy grail. However, for now, it makes sense as a slow upgrade path for me. As the OP is looking to do a full drivetrain overhaul I think going to full 11 speed makes great sense. There's no reason to stop at 10 speed - I can't imagine it saving him any money.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    To be honest, I'm on a similar mix and match setup. Last year I went from 2x10 to 1x10. Shimano didn't have a wide range 10 speed cassette (do they now?), so I picked up an 11-42 sunrace. It worked really well but my knees were asking for a little lower gear so this spring I swapped that for a sunrace 11-46 cassette.

A few months later when my RD started to fail I replaced it with an m8000. It seems to follow the wide range cassette a bit better than the m785 that I had on there previously. The shifter is responsible for the indexing, not the derailleur, so 10 speed and 11 speed actually does mix. My thought was process was that when it's time to replace the cassette this time, I'll pick up an 11-speed shifter and an 11-speed cassette, although I might go with another sunrace (maybe 11-50). They're just so blasted heavy...

Aside from convenience, the spacing between the gears is much better on the sunrace than it is on the M8000 11-46. The Shimano has a 9 tooth jump whereas the Sunrace has a maximum of 6. I have no loyalty toward 10 speed vs 11 or 12. I don't believe it's the holy grail. However, for now, it makes sense as a slow upgrade path for me. As the OP is looking to do a full drivetrain overhaul I think going to full 11 speed makes great sense. There's no reason to stop at 10 speed - I can't imagine it saving him any money.

Seth
    Shimano makes the CS-HG500 10-Speed 11-42t Cassette. Nice gear ratios but not as nice overall as the sunrace MX3's.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...1-42t-cassette

Works great with a M8000 or M7000 rear derailleur and your 10-spd shifter of choice.

I could be running any drivetrain I want, including eagle XX1. I bought a full 10-speed XTR setup a couple years ago, because I like it. I've got an E-13 cassette for one wheelset and sunrace MX3 on another. I might drop $190 for the Garbaruk 11-45T 10spd cassette in the spring to upgrade the sunrace.

I guess 1x11 fits my hub if I want to go for an 11 speed fixed gear. Guess I should have followed my original research.

I guess 1x11 fits my hub if I want to go for an 11 speed fixed gear. Guess I should have followed my original research.
    Wait, what? Since you are coming from 3x9 I can only assume you have a classic splined freehub. Any 11-xx cassette will fit your hub, whether it's 10, 11 or 12 speed (though I'd advise against low-end 12sp stuff that doesn't require a XD hub).

Wait, what? Since you are coming from 3x9 I can only assume you have a classic splined freehub. Any 11-xx cassette will fit your hub, whether it's 10, 11 or 12 speed (though I'd advise against low-end 12sp stuff that doesn't require a XD hub).
    Don't know what to tell you. I can get it on there, but it won't spin freely. Not sure if it matters, but it's a spinergry wheel I bought from someone on here. Too lazy to look through pm's to find it. I did call spinergy and I bought a part that they said will be able to convert the freehub to a 11 speed for $70 which is much cheaper and easier than trying to find a decent 26 in wheel here.

Exactly what cassette did you buy and exactly what hub do you have? Exactly what part did Spinergy sell you? Something doesn't add up here.

Exactly what cassette did you buy and exactly what hub do you have? Exactly what part did Spinergy sell you? Something doesn't add up here.
    I got a SLX CS-M7000 cassette from Sirshredalot. I got a part over the phone from Spinergy and they haven't sent an email confirmation and I don't remember exactly what part they said. Should I've gotten a M8000 cassette?

I got a SLX CS-M7000 cassette from Sirshredalot. I got a part over the phone from Spinergy and they haven't sent an email confirmation and I don't remember exactly what part they said. Should I've gotten a M8000 cassette?
    M7000 vs. M8000 should be irrelevant to your problem as they both interface with the hub identically. M8000 is just lighter. The overall width of the M7000 cassette is the same as your 9sp cassette, the spacing between the cogs is just narrower. So, there's no reason the new cassette by itself should be preventing the hub from freewheeling. It sounds like maybe you buggered up the hub somehow during the install. Have you tried reinstalling the old cassette to see if the problem persists?

Hopefully Spinergy isn't sending you a XD driver adapter.

My old cassette went back on fine and works fine. I had to ride the bike back from the bike shop with the old cassette. I've put cassettes on plenty of bikes before. There was not enough room on the hub for the cassette.

Any chance there is an extraspacer on there somewhere?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I don't think so.