Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Don't do many long tours (6 miles+) so carrying extra weight is meh to me.
    not trying to talk you out of anything, but the reduced ROM compared to a "real" touring boot is more of a factor than the weight IMHO. Haven't toured in an XT, but I've had it in the shop back to back with my Vulcans.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    not trying to talk you out of anything, but the reduced ROM compared to a "real" touring boot is more of a factor than the weight IMHO. Haven't toured in an XT, but I've had it in the shop back to back with my Vulcans.
    Feels like the first gen beef boots IE Titan/Zzeus but the ski performance justifies the lack of ROM imho compared to those boots. They ski a lot better than Vulcans in my opinion, just as stiff but way less harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think the 140 shell is stiffer fwiw... having skied both with the same liner but I could be wrong. Boot fitter remarked the plastic on the 140 was different than the 130 when he was punching and grinding my 140s
    Wait. He was able to grind Grilamid? That shit melts with pretty much butter like propensity just walking by a Foredom.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Wait. He was able to grind Grilamid? That shit melts with pretty much butter like propensity just walking by a Foredom.
    That's that clued us in that it might be a different plastic. At least in the toe-box it ground very cleanly. He remarked that he's been unhappy with the results grinding on the XT110 and XT130 because it turns to goo. Our guess since the boot is "Dual Core" the lower shell is potentially PE, which is where the extra point of stiffness is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    hmm. not stiffer, but different. I have 130 days in my original RX liners and I can keep the buckles slammed all day without discomfort.

The flex is comparable, but not as progressive IMO.

For me, the continued ramp-up of the rx130 makes it the stronger boot. I definitely prefer it in variable and hard snow conditions, but the XT is a nice daily driver and rad for boot packs and work. Also feels much lighter on the foot, which is nice if you're gonna be in ski boots all day long. The XT feels to have a more upright stance, even with a WC spoiler attached, leading to a less aggressive feel as well. As Luke noted, the lower cuff does clamp down on the instep when removing the boots if you're not careful. Luckily that part of the boot flexes softer than the RX so I can manually control those flaps and keep them off my tender bits when removing it.

All in all, I'm happy with the boot. Like the RX, the new dual-core mold is a much better fit than the old XT, except I had to have a few additional modifications done, such as the mega low volume toe box, which was giving me very cold and bruised toenails. That was an easy fix by the bootfitter. The ultralon liner does not breathe as well as the RX, but has a better more comfortable face fabric compared to the standard Intuition, a la Dreamliner.

Good boots, wouldn't want to tour very far in them, unless the descent was absolutely worth it.
    What's your technique for getting the free tours off?
    I didn't quite understand it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I just grab the lower cuff and pry the overlap apart as I remove the boot.

Other boots I can usually just grab the spoiler/cuff and slide them off without trouble.

^^^ this^^^ plus stand up (don't sit) when exiting.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-06-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Just got the XT 130 LV in the mail today! First day on them tomorrow. I swapped out the stock liners with some intuition power wraps. These will be my 90% inbounds boot so I want an alpine boot cuff height. Power wraps are quite a bit taller (but lighter). Fingers crossed the forward lean feels...forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    That's that clued us in that it might be a different plastic. At least in the toe-box it ground very cleanly. He remarked that he's been unhappy with the results grinding on the XT110 and XT130 because it turns to goo. Our guess since the boot is "Dual Core" the lower shell is potentially PE, which is where the extra point of stiffness is coming from.
    Could be. We (I) only punch anything grilamid due to manufacturers warning and just experimenting with all brands they melt.
    Last edited by waxman; 03-07-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Could be. We (I) only punch anything grilamid due to manufacturers warning and just experimenting.
    Also because the shells are so thin you can hardly find anything to grind . . .

Ive been in the Free Pro 140 most of the winter and it is better then the Freetour XT 130, but it’s still not an every day boot for me. The Free Pro is great in soft snow, but as soon as the going gets fast and rough, it’s not enough. Lift access backcountry it’s been fine, but inbounds it’s not holding up as I would of hoped. I did switch out the stock liner for the RS140 cork liner, and that helped a ton, but it is still a softer boot with a walk mode. I do also have an Intuition Pro Tour liner for actually touring, because the cork liner is insanely heavy, and the combo of the pro tour and XT Free Pro skis pretty well.

The XT Free Pro was perfect for Japan, it’s fine for most lift access backcountry, and almost all soft snow days. If I’m riding lifts and not using the lifts to go for a hike, I’ll be grabbing my RS140 shells. If I was to go on a trip tomorrow, I’d probably take the XT Free Pro shells, RS140 liners and if touring was a possibility, toss in my intuition pro tour liners.

Today, 6-12in of cream cheese on hardpack, was the first time I really realized how much performance it gave up. I did a run in the Free Pro shell then switched to the RS140 shell, both with the RS140 cork liner, and I was amazed at how much more control the RS140 has. Night and day. Lange is getting closer to a true one boot for everything boot, but they aren’t quite there.

It’s a good boot, but a ridged spine boot is just a bit better.

My trick for getting the XT Free Pro off is unbuckle all the buckles, put the boot in ski mode, (usually I flip the lever then push back of the cuff towards the toe until I hear the ski mode click into place) then it comes off like a normal boot. I do use the laces on my liners and take my liners out every night though, that may affect how you do it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Just got the XT 130 LV in the mail today! First day on them tomorrow. I swapped out the stock liners with some intuition power wraps. These will be my 90% inbounds boot so I want an alpine boot cuff height. Power wraps are quite a bit taller (but lighter). Fingers crossed the forward lean feels...forward.
    IME the forward lean feels off with just my power wrap, so I added some velcro to my liner and stuck the stock spoilers on. Took up some calf room (chicken legs) and gave me the stance I wanted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good day banging around inbounds today. Pow and pow over hard. If you stay on top of these it’s all good but the flat lean angle and shorter cuff height (than an alpine boots) puts u in the backseat pretty quick. I’m running the stock liners currently. I’m thinking of a tall stiff intuition liner and a heel shim to convert these to full inbounds boots. I only plan short slack touring for these.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Good day banging around inbounds today. Pow and pow over hard. If you stay on top of these it’s all good but the flat lean angle and shorter cuff height (than an alpine boots) puts u in the backseat pretty quick. I’m running the stock liners currently. I’m thinking of a tall stiff intuition liner and a heel shim to convert these to full inbounds boots. I only plan short slack touring for these.
    I ski the 130 free and for the first couple of days i felt getting in the back seat, but i think it's because they are somewhat different when you press your calves back.
    I got used to it pretty soon.

So you may want to ski then got a few days.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I ski the 130 free and for the first couple of days i felt getting in the back seat, but i think it's because they are somewhat different when you press your calves back.
    I got used to it pretty soon.

So you may want to ski then got a few days.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Today was better as I adjust to them. Less backseaty for sure. I’m likely these boots more and more. Nice to have some boots with some mass to blast through inbounds chunder. Wouldn’t want them much lighter.