Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Dual works for ISO 5355, WTR and GripWalk but not ISO 9523 Touring. Pivots for 2019 are labeled "AW" instead of WTR/Dual.
    Dual works for ISO 5355, GripWalk (when set to Alpine/5355) and WTR,
    AW works for ISO 5355 and GripWalk (and NOT WTR).

Basically if it is approved for WTR it is now GW compatible (exception for fixed AFD P18s marker WTR). If it is stamped Grip Walk it is not going to work with WTR.

In addition to the pivot/look toes mentioned above:
    Marker and Tyrolia Bindings stamped GripWalk or GW work for ISO 5355 and Grip Walk (but NOT WTR).
    Marker bindings stamped SoleID, Tyrolias stamped with AT or Amer Bindings stamped with MNC will work with either 5355 or 9523 (which includes Grip Walk and WTR, but not Scarpa and Dynafit with quick step or master step inserts)

If you have Quick Step inserts (with the groove to help click in) most recent Scarpas and Dynafits) they are neither 5355 nor 9523 compliant and won’t be certified to work with any traditional binding. Could you make it work? Likely but it might not release consistently.

If your primary worry is having bindings which will work with your future boots I’d get the Salomon/Atomic/Armada Warden 13 MNC or 11 MNC, and stay away from Scarpa or Dynafit until the quick step shit is resolved (and Dynafit puts an actual tie on the Hoji).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I believe they mean you will have to adjust the toepiece height correctly, which will be lower than a WTR boot.
    Which is a bit odd since you also have to adjust toepiece height for a din boot or a wtr boot but no mention of "adjustments" in the table for those

The boot and binding manufacturers had a great deal going and they fucked it up.

It used to be, if the boot fits, buy it and adjust the binding.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Marker and Tyrolia Bindings stamped GripWalk or GW work for ISO 5355 and Grip Walk (but NOT WTR).
    Marker bindings stamped SoleID, Tyrolias stamped with AT or Amer Bindings stamped with MNC will work with either 5355 or 9523 (which includes Grip Walk and WTR, but not Scarpa and Dynafit with quick step or master step inserts)

If you have Quick Step inserts (with the groove to help click in) most recent Scarpas and Dynafits) they are neither 5355 nor 9523 compliant and won’t be certified to work with any traditional binding. Could you make it work? Likely but it might not release consistently.
    Marker Dalbello Volkl USA confirmed with me this summer via email that QuickStep inserts are fine in SoleID bindings (they even asked the German office).

"Marker Germany confirms that the Quickstep in sets (sic) are fine with Sole ID Bindings. They do not interfere with binding function."

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    The boot and binding manufacturers had a great deal going and they fucked it up.

It used to be, if the boot fits, buy it and adjust the binding.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app
    So what does this mean for the guy with four sets of sth 16s lying around?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    So what does this mean for the guy with four sets of sth 16s lying around?
    I've used them with everything from Lange RS 130's and Nordica Dobermans to Scarpa Spirit 3's and 4's with no problems, but I wouldn't tell you it was OK if I worked in a shop.

Langes have interchangeable soles. Can a wtr or grip walk sole get screwed on and upgrade older Lange boots?

Or is there a toe height consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Langes have interchangeable soles. Can a wtr or grip walk sole get screwed on and upgrade older Lange boots?
    The WTR soles are relatively recent; they didn't exist until the 2016-17 model year for the XT boots (2015-16 XT Freetours were WTR only and the footprint changed afterward). The first gen WTR soles won't work with older boots because there was no alpine sole available for them (I checked). They say a GripWalk sole is on the way, but I have never seen one, so can't check the fit (though I suspect it will only fit the new pattern XT Free with the "notch" in the sole pad.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ok, so I just bought some skis with 2019 model of Tyrolia Attack(2) 13 GW bindings.

I stupidly assumed that since my Lange Freetour 130 with WTR soles fit my 2018 Attack 14 "AT" bindings that they would also fit these new bindings.

The 2019 has a different adjustment for the AFD now. With the WTR soles no amount of adjusting gives me "business card" spacing between the AFD and toe.

EDIT: Ok, so I swapped out to the plastic soles and I can now get correct AFD to toe sole spacing.

I HATE having plastic soles on my boots. Headwaters hike is fucking SKETCH with non-grippy soles.

Can I really not use these new bindings with WTR soles?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Can I really not use these new bindings with WTR soles?
    No, you cannot. Tyrolia GW bindings are compatible with ISO 5355 Alpine and GripWalk soles, not WTR or ISO 9523 Touring. You could buy the Tyrolia Attack 14 AT binding or wait and see if Lange offers a GripWalk sole for your boot at some point in time.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have a set of last years Attack 14 ATs so I am just gonna swap them over. I find it highly unlikely the Lange will ever actually release a GW soul for a Freetour boot. They want us to buy the new Free XT.

Here is a source for the retroactive STH2 GripWalk compatibility....

Salomon Alpine Tech Manual 2019/20 - page 82

Clearly shows "STH2 WTR" binding as compatible with 5355, WTR, and GripWalk.. (and not 9523)

Unfortunately, I can't post a link or image.. but if you search google you should be able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_SF View Post

Clearly shows "STH2 WTR" binding as compatible with 5355, WTR, and GripWalk.. (and not 9523)

Unfortunately, I can't post a link or image.. but if you search google you should be able to find it.
    I’ve been running this combo for a couple years and the STH2 AFD lines up perfectly with the plastic part on a GripWalk sole. I’ve not had it tested out but there really is no reason it wouldn’t test fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Page 22. They changed their mind this season; in previous years they said ISO 5355 and WTR only. Similar to the Look Dual WTR bindings, first year they said alpine and WTR only, next year they said GripWalk was OK; no change in binding in either case.

I know its an old post, but I wanted to say thanks. I bought some new GripWalk boots this week and this confirmed compatibility with my STH2 WTR's