Flax in skis. What's it do?

More and more I'm seeing Flax referenced in layups, especially light-weight skis. Down, Black Diamond (Blizzard), Salomon, DPS are all reputed to use it in touring skis.

Can someone give me a lowdown on what it reputedly does? Are you a believer?

"In a 100-gram serving, flax contains high levels (> 19% of the Daily Value, DV) of protein, dietary fiber, several B vitamins, and dietary minerals. Ten grams of flaxseed contains one gram of water-soluble fiber (which lowers blood cholesterol) and three grams of insoluble fiber (which helps prevent constipation). Flax contains hundreds of times more lignans than other plant foods. Flaxseeds are especially rich in thiamine, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus (DVs above 90%)."

Encourages camber, prevents flatulence?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Combined with carbon it is supposed to provide light weight stability and reduce the chattery feel that carbon skis have. My bud tried making some with flax only and they had zero flex.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    "In a 100-gram serving, flax contains high levels (> 19% of the Daily Value, DV) of protein, dietary fiber, several B vitamins, and dietary minerals. Ten grams of flaxseed contains one gram of water-soluble fiber (which lowers blood cholesterol) and three grams of insoluble fiber (which helps prevent constipation). Flax contains hundreds of times more lignans than other plant foods. Flaxseeds are especially rich in thiamine, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus (DVs above 90%)."
    Plus if you're gluten intolerant flax skis are a great alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Combined with carbon it is supposed to provide light weight stability and reduce the chattery feel that carbon skis have. My bud tried making some with flax only and they had zero flex.
    ^^^
    This. No magic bullet, but it does help with feel without adding a lot of weight.

Always good to have options.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

We've tested a bunch of Whitedots with various flax layups....lighter than fiberglass...good combo with carbon layers to keep the pingy, over-carbonated feel down to a dull roar...works really well in light-weight builds...no problems so far...eco-friendly sales pitch....haven't seen it used in more charging-type, high-speed freighttrain skis yet....others may know more about it...
    Builders tell me they like the light weight, dampening effect and sustainable fiber aspects of it in their skis...
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

I'm 5' 10", 205 and charge. FOG though...
    Flax sounds like it would help me take a dump.

Eco friendly though! =

That is all.

is there a reason they aren't calling it linen? (I'm assuming here they are using a woven fabric made from processed flax, aka linen)

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    is there a reason they aren't calling it linen? (I'm assuming here they are using a woven fabric made from processed flax, aka linen)
    That's rhetorical, right? You know it's marketing

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    That's rhetorical, right? You know it's marketing
    Courtesy of bcomp!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

an other way than rubber to reduce the chattery effect on pure carbon layup

don't recommend to use it like a fiberglass replacement : much more expansive, difficult to soak, modulus the same as glass...
    the properties that manufacturers give are not always faire :-( specially with flax