Thread: Free Solo

Free Solo

The film is so outstanding (imho) that I’m putting up a thread instead of a post in the Unofficial Ongoing Current Movie thread.

Everyone knows Honnold free soloed El Cap and lived, and has seen pictures and maybe some clips from Jimmy Chin’s movie, but the movie is so much more than that and so good...

The sack-shriveling photography and editing are stunning. But one thing that really stands out is the insightful directing. There’re a lot of humorous moments about things like van life, hugging, coziness, love, and Hannold’s personality, and a lot of poignant thoughts by and about Chin’s film crew. And Hannold seems almost human, almost.

The climb was stunning, and the film is amazing. Probably the best documentary I’ve seen, on any subject, ever. Way to go, Jimmy Chin, way to bring it.
    A salud, amor, y paz.

Agree, great film, and worth seeing on the big screen if you can make it to a showing. Maybe as stressed out as I've been in a movie, particularly when you consider the fact that I knew how it was going to end.

Mrs. plug didnít want to see it, so when she had to do a business thing last night, I went solo. I agree, itís really well done. All of it. Jimmy Chen et al did a great job. Iíve seen a lot of documentaries, and this one rates well in comparison.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Incredibly well-made movie showing what it takes for a human to risk his life for what he loves. I left the theater covered in sweat - I was so nervous and tense throughout the movie. If you have a heart problem, you should probably skip this one. For everyone else, it's a must see!

Got tickets for myself, the kiddo and his buddy Thurs. at 7:00. Can't wait!

plan on seeing it. asked the wife if she wanted to go, was hoping she said no so I could just check it out without production of babysitter, but she said yes. so now I don't know when. and may have to drive further.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

It's good. I'm not a fan of climbing or the egos in that community, so it was hard to decide to go to this. But it's a good story and I didn't really realize until watching the movie how ridiculous his accomplishment is/was.

They could have even shown more of the climb, it was pretty gripping and I wanted to see more. Maybe they only used the compelling footage which meant a short climb on film, I mean shooting a 4 hour climb with a small crew... how can you be everywhere except the crux points? But I wanted more.

Loved it. Feel stronger than ever that it's the single greatest athletic achievement in history, no contest. Yeah, there could have been more of the climb, but the movie is about the preparation as much as the climb. The karate kick on the "Boulder Problem," sweet Jesus.... Sanni's a fox, inside and out, lucky man.

Saw the first video of it in the Banff Mountain Film Festival.

Absolute stunning achievement for any human being. With this thread, I'm going to give a watch since I'd like to see more footage from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Loved it. Feel stronger than ever that it's the single greatest athletic achievement in history, no contest.
    That's why I want to see it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin