Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Free Solo

Free Solo

The film is so outstanding (imho) that I’m putting up a thread instead of a post in the Unofficial Ongoing Current Movie thread.

Everyone knows Honnold free soloed El Cap and lived, and has seen pictures and maybe some clips from Jimmy Chin’s movie, but the movie is so much more than that and so good...

The sack-shriveling photography and editing are stunning. But one thing that really stands out is the insightful directing. There’re a lot of humorous moments about things like van life, hugging, coziness, love, and Hannold’s personality, and a lot of poignant thoughts by and about Chin’s film crew. And Hannold seems almost human, almost.

The climb was stunning, and the film is amazing. Probably the best documentary I’ve seen, on any subject, ever. Way to go, Jimmy Chin, way to bring it.

Agree, great film, and worth seeing on the big screen if you can make it to a showing. Maybe as stressed out as I've been in a movie, particularly when you consider the fact that I knew how it was going to end.

Mrs. plug didn’t want to see it, so when she had to do a business thing last night, I went solo. I agree, it’s really well done. All of it. Jimmy Chen et al did a great job. I’ve seen a lot of documentaries, and this one rates well in comparison.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Incredibly well-made movie showing what it takes for a human to risk his life for what he loves. I left the theater covered in sweat - I was so nervous and tense throughout the movie. If you have a heart problem, you should probably skip this one. For everyone else, it's a must see!

Got tickets for myself, the kiddo and his buddy Thurs. at 7:00. Can't wait!

plan on seeing it. asked the wife if she wanted to go, was hoping she said no so I could just check it out without production of babysitter, but she said yes. so now I don't know when. and may have to drive further.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It's good. I'm not a fan of climbing or the egos in that community, so it was hard to decide to go to this. But it's a good story and I didn't really realize until watching the movie how ridiculous his accomplishment is/was.

They could have even shown more of the climb, it was pretty gripping and I wanted to see more. Maybe they only used the compelling footage which meant a short climb on film, I mean shooting a 4 hour climb with a small crew... how can you be everywhere except the crux points? But I wanted more.

Loved it. Feel stronger than ever that it's the single greatest athletic achievement in history, no contest. Yeah, there could have been more of the climb, but the movie is about the preparation as much as the climb. The karate kick on the "Boulder Problem," sweet Jesus.... Sanni's a fox, inside and out, lucky man.

Saw the first video of it in the Banff Mountain Film Festival.

Absolute stunning achievement for any human being. With this thread, I'm going to give a watch since I'd like to see more footage from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Loved it. Feel stronger than ever that it's the single greatest athletic achievement in history, no contest.
    That's why I want to see it.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Went to see it tonight...def worth the watch

really enjoyed it, very well done

Just got back from seeing it.

Pretty much what Meadow Skipper said in the OP is spot-on

I seriously got quasi-nausea and mini-vertigo from some of the expansive shots of El Capitan and the other climbing locales.
    My hands were sweating throughout most of the film and when I wasn't wringing them dry they were gripped to the armrests in white-knuckled fashion.
    I felt the interviews were honest and never came off feeling scripted or forced.
    I was totally entranced.

Only 2 things could make it better:
    1. Seeing it in IMAX
    2. Getting rid of the sappy Tim McGraw song that played over the closing credits. Now I am not a climber, but I find it hard to believe that Tim McGraw is the musical inspiration of free soloists; the inclusion of the song felt like a really lame Disney-styled move, especially such an unironic, "heartfelt" song (one titled "Gravity" no-less!). After such an amazing, intense, and emotionally gripping film, it totally took me out of the mood.
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-26-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I had the exact same feeling with the Tim McGraw song. It didn’t work at all

So damn good! I am still sweating 12 hours later. What an amazing accomplishment..

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinio...deo-grid-click

Check out the short film on the behind the scenes and question of the risks of filming Alex's possible death
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    So damn good! I am still sweating 12 hours later. What an amazing accomplishment..

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinio...deo-grid-click

Check out the short film on the behind the scenes and question of the risks of filming Alex's possible death
    That was great. Nice to hear from Chai and more from Jimmy about the climb and what went on.

The movie was awesome. I was seriously gripped even knowing the outcome of the climb. That thumb swap on the boulder problem was puckering.

Full title of the movie is Free Solo Despite Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by battleshort View Post
    Full title of the movie is Free Solo Despite Girlfriend
    Alex and Sanni's baby as painted by Margaret Keane:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 10.32.50 AM.png
Views: 679
Size:  410.7 KB

Saw it last night. The shots of El Cap near the end were disorienting; when I started to walk out as the credits rolled I had a hard time keeping my balance for a couple of moments--like when you try to fall over standing still in a white out.
    Watching Honnold work out the moves on the boulder problem and the Freeblast slab was fascinating. It reminded me of what they say about musicians--the amateur practices until he can do it right; the professional practices until he can't do it wrong. The practice is the key to him staying alive. FWIW the traverse he did with Caldwell in Patagonia sounds sketchier to me than Freeride--but then both are so far out of my league, what do I know?
    This one is going to be hard to top. Sure, there are harder routes Honnold or someone else could free solo--but the public won't appreciate the significance of soloing the Nose or the Dawn Wall (either seems impossible but who knows?) . There's only one first free solo ascent of El Capitan and it's been done and there's no other rock climb in the world as well known to the people who buy movie tickets.

Honnold sometimes climbs at Pipeworks in Sacramento. Apparently he skipped a bolt doing a lead route and they pulled his pass.

Don't know if his TED talk has been posted.
    I almost like this more than the movie: Alex TED talk

Then there's this, in which Honnold has fun with the classic Dan Osman Bears Reach freesolo video:

bump, because I need to see this
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Hey, I want to see this, and it’s now in IMAX here. Question, wanting to take the wife and kid. 8yo daughter. We are pretty strict on language and do not use profanity around her at all.
    She’s well aware of “bad words”, but my question is how bad is the language in this movie? I know there are F-bombs dropped, as I read it in a review, just curious how frequent they fly?

Thanks

If we couldn't swear around our kids I'm not sure our family would ever talk. Kids included. I take great pride in the crap my 14 year old daughter can drop when she wants to.

Edit: yes, I am aware this makes me a terrible parent.