Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Free Solo

Finally watched. Oh my god. Enduro freaked me out so much. All I could think off was those times Iíve been on rock and had that moment where you know there is a bit too much rope out and you canít quite feel the next move and you start to breathe just a little too much. The panic starts rising up and you have to swallow it back down.

Only now, itís all that... But no rope. My brain just couldnít comprehend it. It was disorienting. And shocking. Iím completely blown away.

Sorry but itís a totally different sport. Itís not rock climbing. I donít know what it is, but itís nothing Iíve ever done.

Watched it for the first time over the weekend. The guy is a headcase. That isn't just years of mental conditioning, he's fundamentally different from most people. The climbing was impressive, but I was more struck by just how "off" he seems when interacting with people.
    Be good, or be good at it.

They tested his brain with stimuli and his brain reacted to the stimuli the same as a sociopathís brain.

So yeah, he focuses that on climbing instead of collecting beautiful women and wearing their skin.

At least this is what my climbing friend that knows him said.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    ...and you canít quite feel the next move...
    Except he memorized every. single. move. on all 30+ pitches. There was never any question what the next move was. Committing the whole thing to memory like that is an incredibly impressive feat all on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Watched it for the first time over the weekend. The guy is a headcase. That isn't just years of mental conditioning, he's fundamentally different from most people. The climbing was impressive, but I was more struck by just how "off" he seems when interacting with people.
    Considering that they suspect his Dad had some degree of ASD, it seems pretty clear that Alex shares some of those traits.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It's not exactly earthshattering to suggest that a guy who free solos El Cap is wired differently than us.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's not exactly earthshattering to suggest that a guy who free solos El Cap is wired differently than us.

That's a fact, but I didn't start a new thread to present my "earthshattering" treatise on Alex Honnold's mental state, I posted four sentences in a thread about the movie.

Solid film, well worth watching. His girlfriend is very cute, but I also found her annoying as hell.

If I were to watch it again, I would skip the first hour.
    Be good, or be good at it.

By the way (I donít remember seeing this mentioned yet) did another else get a big kick out of him saying he made as much as a ďmoderately successful dentist?Ē TGR troll!

So good. Like somebody else said, I knew it was a crazy accomplishment, but didn't know the full extent until watching.

Glad I'm not the only one that found the GF a bit irritating. It was almost set up like a swan song for him. She had no control over this one, but she can change him dammit, and this is the last one.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Caught this on an flight last week. Holy shit, so goddamn good. I was squirming in my seat, palms sweating for the El Cap climb. Thank goodness I was able to get a double g&t from the steward to calm down.

just watched Dawn Wall. Great flick. Totally different than Free Solo.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

I loved Dawn Wall. Free Solo shows a more impressive individual feat, but I thought Dawn Wall was a better movie. It was a perfect story, and fortunately they did it justice. I watched it again with the family, and they liked enough to rope my MIL in for another watch. So good.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Speaking of climbing docs, don't miss Dirtbag: The Legend of Fred Beckey, which you can stream on Amazon for $1 (with or without Prime membership). Trailer at http://dirtbagmovie.com/