Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Free Solo

the reddit thread on this says Alex says Fuck.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Yeah, I know it’s in there. Just not sure how prolific

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Hey, I want to see this, and it’s now in IMAX here. Question, wanting to take the wife and kid. 8yo daughter. We are pretty strict on language and do not use profanity around her at all.
    She’s well aware of “bad words”, but my question is how bad is the language in this movie? I know there are F-bombs dropped, as I read it in a review, just curious how frequent they fly?

Thanks
    I took my 8 y.o. and his friend to see it. The F-bombs are fairly few and far between. He hears far worse in the lift line at Brighton or at the skatepark.

Dude. You're taking your kids to see a movie about a...oh never mind.
    They don't say fuckity fuckity fuck-fuck, but there's probably more than one fuck in the whole movie. It's also inferred that he screws his girlfriend in that van of his. He also parks the thing near the Tuolomne River.

Saw it this past weekend, damn. What a movie. Definitely going to rewatch it. Not sure if anyone's posted it here lately so I'll toss in my second-favorite AH soloing video:

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Don't know if his TED talk has been posted.
    I almost like this more than the movie: Alex TED talk
    Seconded. Great to hear him go into a bit more detail about the training—physical and mental

There was a little bit of cursing, IIRC, but it's not full of curse words. If you're truly a puritan, maybe it would be bothersome, but I don't recall much.

The bigger issues (for me at least with my 7 year old) are that the subject matter deals a lot with relationships and with (potential) death. My usual go-to for this info, commonsensemedia.org, doesn't have it listed, but overall I don't think bad language should be the reason not to see it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Saw it this past weekend, damn. What a movie. Definitely going to rewatch it. Not sure if anyone's posted it here lately so I'll toss in my second-favorite AH soloing video:
    fucking nuts
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks all.
    Danno, glad to hear you, as I, consult CommonSense, unlike beece, raising his heathen offspring. J/k, but yeah, saw it wasn’t listed.

Anyway, it’s now a non-issue. Showed the kid the trailer and she was terrified! Haha. Said she would think about dying. I said , sweety, you aren’t gonna be climbing with no rope...
    Didn’t matter. So will probably be Me Solo...which is fine, just gotta catch it in IMAX before it’s gone...
    And I have zero interest in climbing myself. Weird. Actually watching valley uprising as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    fucking nuts
    that hand crossover move is so insane, makes my palms pour sweat. can’t recall the exact time in the video it occurs but I’ll rewatch and post it later.

One of my good buddies is a critic for Common Sense. I'll pass along that a bunch of skiing dirt bags read the site. He'll be stoked.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Thank him for his service. We use it.

If I don't know squat about something she's watching or wants to watch, I use the site. Nice to know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    And I have zero interest in climbing myself. Weird. Actually watching valley uprising as I type.
    Same here, zero interest. But Honnold's achievements at what he does have captivated me for years.

Legendary

Just won an Oscar too. Such a good movie.

So rad. Can’t believe a ski bum from JH won an Oscar.

Saw this on Friday.

Surprised it won, but at the same time, the human achievement centered on in this film is really hard to comprehend. I sort of "get" RGBs story -- or at least I feel like I do.

I don't get how you solo something like El Cap. And I've spend a lot more time climbing than I have in law. (Maybe thats why Honnold seems so much more far fetched.)

The meta-ness of importance of filming the act I thought added to the drama.

Also -- fuck anyone who thinks Sanni is just a wet blanket. She's asking the questions any person who cares about the continuation of life would. Honnold's choices are mind warping.

Hope they find happiness. Really enjoyed the film.

Best part of the film: the moment he sends the boulder problem. He's not serious at all -- gets a bit cheeky with the camera setup. Sure...just sent an crazy insecure sequence 2500' off the deck...I'll smile and laugh at the camera. Then climb Enduro corner.

I just love there is an Oscar winner that skis on Armadas.

Network premier on NatGeo in 2 minutes.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Cool to see it again at home.

My palms sweat watching this shit.

Sweet. I had missed it in the theater.
    Just caught the last half. My 101yo dad didn’t believe it was real.

Such an intense movie, even knowing he made it I was still worried about a fall. The air under the Enduro Corner seemed unreal.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I don't think I can be ever impressed by anything in a movie theater after I saw this one.