Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Free Solo

Quote Originally Posted by gloriawilloughby View Post
    I don't think I can be ever impressed by anything in a movie theater after I saw this one.
    True. You KNOW that nothing is Special Effects. No stunt backup. No green screen.

great movie. I could of done without the drama / awkwardness between Honnold and his "tracking to be girlfriend" buying a fridge and the like.

A couple days ago I was hanging at the brewery. Alex busts in the door with big eyes and asks me where the bathroom is. I responded, "Alex, don't you have a poop tube?" I then pointed him in the right direction.

He dropped his deuce and left. Was hilarious.

I recorded it on Friday, and watched it last night, my wife loved it too, but I missed everything after enduro corner as the PVR shut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    I recorded it on Friday, and watched it last night, my wife loved it too, but I missed everything after enduro corner as the PVR shut off.
    Spoiler alert!
    He lives.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Sunday was the third time I watched.....Once in the theater, second IMAX, last on my couch with beer in hand. The part that kills me every time, is at the end when Mark Synott (legit alpine/big wall badass) asks “what’s next? What are you going to do now?” And Honnold tells him he’s going to go hangboard.....Synott says something to the effect that most people who did what AH just did would take the afternoon off.... Fucking classic. BTW, Synott’s book, The Impossible Climb, was released today. Will buy.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Such an intense movie, even knowing he made it I was still worried about a fall. The air under the Enduro Corner seemed unreal.
    ^^^^ This. I'm pretty sure my amygdala is more active than his.

Holy fuck. Watched on the iMac but now have to see it on the big screen. Most impressed by the finish. No staged people, letting El Cap speak for itself...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Free Solo

I just watched it and now I can’t sleep. I seriously got an adrenaline dump from the last 25 minutes.

If he’s going to keep doing it he’s got to get rid of that woman.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Free Solo

Watching it now....will watch again....incredible story. GF is hot....but not sure why they focused on her so much.....sort of negative. (I guess it makes for a better story)....she’s hot though....

Wow...the last half hour...unbelievable. FKNA....great.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Watching it now....will watch again....incredible story. GF is hot....but not sure why they focused on her so much.....sort of negative. (I guess it makes for a better story)....she’s hot though....

Wow...the last half hour...unbelievable. FKNA....great.

Totally agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

The Dawn Wall on Netflix is really good.

Tommy Caldwell is amazing and the story is good.

He threw a kidnapper off a cliff and later chopped off a finger and became a better climber.

Wow.

Yeah, if you liked Free Solo you should definitely watch The Dawn Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    He threw a kidnapper off a cliff and later chopped off a finger and became a better climber.
    This one sentence makes me want to watch it

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    This one sentence makes me want to watch it
    It’s good. I liked it as much as Free Solo. I watched a behind the scenes video of the camera work. Those dudes are the real deal, hanging off ropes 2k ft off the ground in winter for hours.

I think I liked Dawn Wall a bit more because there was more climbing. Both were outstanding though.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I think I liked Dawn Wall a bit more because there was more climbing. Both were outstanding though.
    Watched Dawn Wall last night. Amazing story. So much more than just one climb.

I’m looking forward to seeing Free Solo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I agree. I liked it more too. My palms got sweatier watching Free Solo but I enjoyed The Dawn Wall more.

Watched Free Solo on Hulu last night and Dawn Wall on Netflix. Both outstanding films, and different interpretations of what “free” climbing is.

Didn’t think I’d be able to sit through Free Solo at first. But Honnold’s head is on another planet. His mental game is so strong, and his perfectionist approach made it seem like a perfectly reasonable thing to do by the end of the movie.

Free Solo

Watched Dawn Wall......compared to Free Solo....Both are totally incredible achievements....Free Solo definitely more so, because it’s obviously free solo.......but I liked Dawn Wall better as a TV/Movie watch....

Caldwells 2nd wife is hotter than his first....”total upgrade”....not as hot as Free Solo wife.....but totally a better attitude....supportive....

Both were great.....but really preferred Dawn Wall......cuz of the supportive way his friends and family were portrayed.

Watched Dawn Wall......compared to Free Solo....Both are totally incredible achievements....Free Solo definitely more so, because it’s obviously free solo.......but I liked Dawn Wall better as a TV/Movie watch....

Caldwells 2nd wife is hotter than his first....”total upgrade”....not as hot as Free Solo wife.....but totally a better attitude....supportive....

Both were great.....but really preferred Dawn Wall......cuz of the supportive way his friends and family were portrayed.
    Caldwell definitely upgraded haha.

Pretty much agree with everything you say. Both great movies. Kind of interesting how they came out on top of each other. Both Tommy and Alex are fascinating characters. Something about Tommy really strikes a chord though. He just seems like such a nice genuine guy, in addition to being the most badass all around rock climber on the planet.

Behind the scenes of The Dawn Wall. The crew are badass as well. Hanging thousands of feet in the air for hours on end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9-HLJPm6w

I have vertigo and afraid of heights. Couldn’t watch for five minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Finally watched. Oh my god. Enduro freaked me out so much. All I could think off was those times I’ve been on rock and had that moment where you know there is a bit too much rope out and you can’t quite feel the next move and you start to breathe just a little too much. The panic starts rising up and you have to swallow it back down.

Only now, it’s all that... But no rope. My brain just couldn’t comprehend it. It was disorienting. And shocking. I’m completely blown away.

Sorry but it’s a totally different sport. It’s not rock climbing. I don’t know what it is, but it’s nothing I’ve ever done.