Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Bourbon and rye is mine...but it's not worth it nowadays to hunt for the rare bottles. Oh well, I have enough for a while. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1744.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	507.0 KB 
ID:	253837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1745.JPG 
Size:	437.2 KB 
ID:	253838

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Vibes to hutash on the burn loss...but sometimes I think something like that would make things easier for me and my heir. It’s just stuff.

It's just stuff until you realize you leave for a week of off piste skiing in the Dolomites and you dont have skis, boots, poles, avi gear, jacket, pants socks, pack, ski bag, goggles, sun glasses, just to name a few minor essentials.

Thanks to all the mags who helped me pull this off, and Black Diamond for a.serious discount code for skins and avi, gear. Patagonia as well for clothes. Pulled it all.together in just over a month, not to mention having to deal.with all the other shit going down at the time.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    ^^^ Nice! I've been running an early 90s JVC reciever, one of the early full surround units, in the living room for over 20 years because it supports old school turntables with an actual Phono setting/input with grounding and decent kicks movie and sports sound, I know that some more recent ones have brought the photo/turntable component back but it's just not the same as old school to me. Amazing the thing is still kicking out all channels perfectly. Been through about a half dozen other surround units in the other 3 bedrooms while the living room beast keeps going and going. Also got a couple P/As for mikes and jam music with monitors and mains. Nothing that would fill a large venue though, just small home stuff.
    I rarely use the home theater system, but it sounds great for movies when I do. NAD 7.2 receiver and Boston Acoustic VR series mains, surrounds, center and sub.

The living room system is used every day. Lazy-Boy is in the sweet spot with my IT command and control center at the ready.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171004_182501.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	995.6 KB 
ID:	253935

Normal operation is to play content (primarily 16 bit/44.1 Khz FLACs) stored on the music server managed by Logitech Media Server software through a Logitech Squeezebox Classic, optical pass-through to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (upsampled to 192Khz) -> NAD C 165BEE pre-amp -> 2 x NAD C 272 150 WPC amps and Quad L2 powered sub -> Quad 22L2 floor standing speakers (bi-amped, plinth spikes on discs to protect the floors).

On occasion I'll spin an LP (about 1000 pieces of vinyl on the rack) on the NAD 5125 turntable. On even more rare occasions, shiny discs can be played on the NAD T 534. I've got a Bluetooth receiver plugged in for those exceedingly rare occasions that I connect an Alexa device or someone wants to play something from their phone.

Furman PF-Pro R provides power conditioning and protection as well as 45 amps of reserve capacitance for those particularly demanding musical passages.

Name:	20181104_074021.jpg 
Size:	988.9 KB 
ID:	253937

This rig has worked well for many years now and punches way about its weight. The detail definition and resolution, stereo imaging and sound stage are all better than my ears at this point. I'm definitely not that guy trying to tweak out some marginal percentage improvement by spending incredible amounts of money upgrading. However, I'm thankful for those guys since I can buy their barely used gear for cheap.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

My living room's a multi purpose area, home theater, sports cave, jam studio, and home office.

There's also a Marshall MG412 out in the shed, wish I had room for it inside but DRUMS HAHAHA

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Not so much a collection as a working gathering of cast cookin iron, re seasoning a couple.

Name:	jfqi2tLh.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	254761

starting on collecting quarters, besides pennies they are the coin to collect that gains value. thinking about putting some up in frames on the wall, but not certain as if someone breaks in and sees framed coins; they probably figure they're worth stealing; and they would be right; several thousand dollars in some pennies and quarters.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Your valuable collection of state quarters of worth $12.50 regardless of what the Franklin Mint told.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

When I worked in retail I used to keep an eye out for cool coins when counting down at the end of the night. Also, back in 1964 when I was born, my grandparents started a piggy bank. There was some cool old stuff in there when we opened it up after I turned 12. I did keep some of it, but spent some cool silver dollars too, mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, etc.. Dumb kid LOL. I've got about 15 or so two dollar bills I've been hoarding as well.

Made in the USA vintage wool sweater collection. Thrift store buys.

Name:	KIMG0504.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	254913
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Seeing all those albums is tough. I had about 450 before losing them all in a flood in 1995. the basement only flooded about 2 ft. but the albums were on the bottom shelf :-( .
    "Can't you see..."

That is sad. I inherited many of my brothers albums but they were stupidly stored for a winter too close to a radiator and most have warped on the outer edge. It affects the first two or so songs on each album. I keep them and the records I purchased but they have not been played in many years.
    Last edited by SB; 11-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Made in the USA vintage wool sweater collection. Thrift store buys.

Name:	KIMG0504.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	254913
    So that's why they call you WOOLey..

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Seeing all those albums is tough. I had about 450 before losing them all in a flood in 1995. the basement only flooded about 2 ft. but the albums were on the bottom shelf :-( .
    It is a minor miracle that I still have my vinyl dating back to the 70s. The Evil One had no interest in them and they take up a lot of space, so I was able to extract them before everything went completely sideways along with my sound system at the time. But the demon would not give me my CD collection (about 400 discs at the time). Years later a mutual friend contacted me and asked if I would like to have my CDs back. The Evil One had given them to her to sell off before she left the country and our friend knew they were all mine, mostly because my name was written in the corner of the back page of the booklet. By then I had already started The Collection as a way to recoup what I had lost. I may have overcompensated a little...

There are other stories behind the music and the gear, particularly the speakers which sit so prominently in my living room. Maybe I add some of those if this thread needs a bump down the road. I've already written them for other places, so the cutting and pasting can bring them here easily enough. Anyone remember their first LPs? Not the parents' or siblings' but the ones you first owned? Mine changed my life. Another story for another time.

I used to be a vinyl collector; I had a couple thousand LPs. I sold the whole collection to a record store in the late 90’s and started collecting CDs. I had about 1000 of those when I finally got sick of having too much clutter, so I spent a year (an hour here, an hour there) ripping everything to my PC, then selling the CDs on eBay (I sold one rare CD for $350; I paid less than $20 for it). My collection now fits on a hard drive (and multiple backups); I can listen for 171 days without repeating anything.

I don't really collect anything, but I sure do have a lot of shit
    For example:

Name:	IMG_3818.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	773.1 KB 
ID:	255366

Name:	IMG_3819.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	844.2 KB 
ID:	255367
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I used to be a vinyl collector; I had a couple thousand LPs. I sold the whole collection to a record store in the late 90’s and started collecting CDs. I had about 1000 of those when I finally got sick of having too much clutter, so I spent a year (an hour here, an hour there) ripping everything to my PC, then selling the CDs on eBay (I sold one rare CD for $350; I paid less than $20 for it). My collection now fits on a hard drive (and multiple backups); I can listen for 171 days without repeating anything.
    It's taken about 11 years to build The Collection and it requires 12 terabytes of storage. I recommend 16 for some available free space for maintenance and growth. The biggest effort was when I was going through cancer treatments and the recovery afterward. I was able to go through over 9,000 titles from a guy I refer to as "Pat the Hoarder" which was probably more like 11,000 individual discs with all the multi-disc titles. I still get stuff from him every couple of months but most is from the local public library and Usenet now. As of right this minute:

Name:  library-stats.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  12.2 KB

So what does that number of hours actually work out to? Well, I had to create a calculator in Excel when it became large enough to be multiple years:

Name:  hour-calc.JPG
Views: 889
Size:  43.5 KB

There are definitely duplicates given the number of best of compilations and remastered reissues, etc. And there are things in it I don't personally want to listen to, but I decided when I got fairly deep into the project that I would not be the arbiter of "good music" and would include whatever was brought to me by those who wanted to participate. That said, how anyone can listen to Celine Dion is beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So that's why they call you WOOLey..
    Yep. I have a hat thing going too.

Name:	KIMG0510.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	945.1 KB 
ID:	255374
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I wouldn't mind having this collection:

Name:	Les-Paul-Collection.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	750.0 KB 
ID:	255376
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Someone's got a cherry sunburst fettish

Couple of ski hill hats..

Got a house full of sports hats, championship hats, etc..

Books and albums here.

Name:	20181113_194803.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	255379

Name:	20181113_194833.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	255380

Name:	20181113_194854.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	255381

Name:	20181113_200242.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	255382

Love old first editions. My albums are in pretty damn good shape too.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

red hot tantra! way to go, g from t!

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    red hot tantra! way to go, g from t!
    OMFG.

Um, GF's.....
    really.

Guess I should have taken a browse through eh... fuck. And good eye man!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    hand tools
    I've never felt more alive than walking of the hardware store with new tools.