Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I’m alone on an island here, but I can’t really tell the difference between when I use regular alpine bindings and duke style bindings for skiing at the resort on a ski that isn’t reverse camber. Then again I’m an apprentice dental hygienist, Ymmv

I have 2 pair of Barons but i have only done 1 very short tour on them, the big reason i was atracted to them on some used skis was so I could use my alpine boots at the hill instead of my AT

unless you are really fat or a really strong skier dukes or barons or the other frame bindings work fine for most alpine applications

frame bindings will be dead when all ski boots have tech fittings
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Dude, just buy some used alpine bindings off of here, remount the Bones, and ski. Don't overthink it. Maybe keep the DIN below 16 until you are sending 40 footers again like you are 28.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I’m alone on an island here, but I can’t really tell the difference between when I use regular alpine bindings and duke style bindings for skiing at the resort on a ski that isn’t reverse camber. Then again I’m an apprentice dental hygienist, Ymmv
    Some people are very sensative to stand height. Some people aren't. In my experience, it has nothing to do with how good of skier you are in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have 2 pair of Barons but i have only done 1 very short tour on them, the big reason i was atracted to them on some used skis was so I could use my alpine boots at the hill instead of my AT

unless you are really fat or a really strong skier dukes or barons or the other frame bindings work fine for most alpine applications
    Sincerely, how is that so? Can you feel them flexing instead of driving the ski? Messing with the camber? Stack height? I’m curious

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Some people are very sensative to stand height. Some people aren't. In my experience, it has nothing to do with how good of skier you are in either direction.
    Cool, thanks. Been curious about this for a while. I am in the can’t notice a difference camp

If you're in Golden CO -- WildX has a gear swap Saturday. Probably some cheap clamps there if you don't like your dukes. If you leave your skis and boots at my house sometime along a six pack, I'll happily mount them. Just don't sue me.

Loveland also does cheap mounts pretty quickly.

If you're in Golden CO -- WildX has a gear swap Saturday. Probably some cheap clamps there if you don't like your dukes. If you leave your skis and boots at my house sometime along a six pack, I'll happily mount them. Just don't sue me.

Loveland also does cheap mounts pretty quickly.
    Thank you good sir, very kind of you. I will let you know.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

IME it doesn't make a huge difference so I'd just ski them till they break off. Once mine broke I mounted up the same skis with alpine binders and they did ski a little different but I wouldn't have done it if the markers didn't blow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Cool, thanks. Been curious about this for a while. I am in the can’t notice a difference camp
    Also all my other bindings have some ramp, whereas the Dukes are flat. Maybe your other bindings, (if you have any), are flat like the Dukes. Anyway between the extra weight, flat ramp angle, stack height, weird slow return to center, they definitely feel weird or different to most people.
    OP, I agree with most here put some clamps on them and ski, then see where that takes you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ski Tech Catch Up since 2014 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Also all my other bindings have some ramp, whereas the Dukes are flat. Maybe your other bindings, (if you have any), are flat like the Dukes. Anyway between the extra weight, flat ramp angle, stack height, weird slow return to center, they definitely feel weird or different to most people.
    OP, I agree with most here put some clamps on them and ski, then see where that takes you.
    My other bindings are mostly STH 14-16, Head Mojo 15s and Tyrolia aatack16s. I’m kinda baffled, I don’t think I could pass a blind test on frames vs those. All the frames are on 108+ waisted skis to be used in soft snow, so there’s that I suppose.

Maybe I’m too strong and good to notice ... nope

if its so much faster/better to have low stack height why do alpine racers have bindings with a buncha stack height ?

I agree you might feel the difference on ramp but If you read a myth somewhere then you might feel the difference because things that are repeated often enough become true

my experiance with stack height was putting a 25mm G3 shim under a Riva binding and ski it with leatehr boots ... couldn't feel any real difference

Ski Tech Catch Up since 2014 Model Year

Put some quality alpine binders on your skis and get your butt in the gym. Incorporate leg blasters into your work out. And if you’re in your mid 30s you’re far from old. This coming from a 47-year-old.

if its so much faster/better to have low stack height why do alpine racers have bindings with a buncha stack height ?
    Because stack height gives you more leverage over edges. No one said low stack height is better. It’s just different. Some people like the higher/more leverage feeling. Some like the more neutral on snow feel of no stack. Different strokes.

Because racing and freeride/touring are different, detective

"If fat rockered skis are so good then why do alpine racers ski on fully cambered skinny skis???"

Because stack height gives you more leverage over edges. No one said low stack height is better. It’s just different. Some people like the higher/more leverage feeling. Some like the more neutral on snow feel of no stack. Different strokes.
    Exactly

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

I don't understand why you wouldn't you wana have more leverage ?

In any case this is all geeky shit on the internet , I did a little work in a bike store where these lawyers would come in and repeat stuff they read in MBA word for word to the point i would recognise what they had verbaly plagerized from articles ... at least they had lotsa money

but i'm sure this never happens in skiing

In any case this is all geeky shit on the internet , I did a little work in a bike store where these lawyers would come in and repeat stuff they read in MBA word for word to the point i would recognise what they had verbaly plagerized from articles ... at least they had lotsa money

Because most of suck and don't want all of our movements amplified and translated directly to our edges.

But, IANAL.

people always say its about performance blah blah blah that they read on the internet

and if yer into ANAL thats your thing

I don't give a shit about stack height, but plate bindings do alter the flex of a ski, making a sort of dead spot in the middle. I had a pair of skis that had Dukes then Looks. Noticeable improvement with the Looks.

But if I were you I wouldn't change a thing. Just ski. Then decide.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Stability? Fat skis are different from skinny skis? I have no risk of booting out from my boot hitting the snow in a high speed carve on skinny skis? It feels nicer when landing airs of all kinds? Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should dismiss it as fabricated nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    mid 30s = old man... hilarious. dude dont give up on yourself already hahaha.
    Yeah, I was going to post a suggestion for an old man ski until I realized how young he is. (But for the record, and for actual old men--Atomic Backland 109's--I think they're 107's now)