Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 48 of 48
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,705
    Iím alone on an island here, but I canít really tell the difference between when I use regular alpine bindings and duke style bindings for skiing at the resort on a ski that isnít reverse camber. Then again Iím an apprentice dental hygienist, Ymmv

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,855
    I have 2 pair of Barons but i have only done 1 very short tour on them, the big reason i was atracted to them on some used skis was so I could use my alpine boots at the hill instead of my AT

    unless you are really fat or a really strong skier dukes or barons or the other frame bindings work fine for most alpine applications

    frame bindings will be dead when all ski boots have tech fittings
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    542
    Dude, just buy some used alpine bindings off of here, remount the Bones, and ski. Don't overthink it. Maybe keep the DIN below 16 until you are sending 40 footers again like you are 28.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I’m alone on an island here, but I can’t really tell the difference between when I use regular alpine bindings and duke style bindings for skiing at the resort on a ski that isn’t reverse camber. Then again I’m an apprentice dental hygienist, Ymmv
    Some people are very sensative to stand height. Some people aren't. In my experience, it has nothing to do with how good of skier you are in either direction.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have 2 pair of Barons but i have only done 1 very short tour on them, the big reason i was atracted to them on some used skis was so I could use my alpine boots at the hill instead of my AT

    unless you are really fat or a really strong skier dukes or barons or the other frame bindings work fine for most alpine applications
    Sincerely, how is that so? Can you feel them flexing instead of driving the ski? Messing with the camber? Stack height? Iím curious

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Some people are very sensative to stand height. Some people aren't. In my experience, it has nothing to do with how good of skier you are in either direction.
    Cool, thanks. Been curious about this for a while. I am in the canít notice a difference camp

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,704
    If you're in Golden CO -- WildX has a gear swap Saturday. Probably some cheap clamps there if you don't like your dukes. If you leave your skis and boots at my house sometime along a six pack, I'll happily mount them. Just don't sue me.

    Loveland also does cheap mounts pretty quickly.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If you're in Golden CO -- WildX has a gear swap Saturday. Probably some cheap clamps there if you don't like your dukes. If you leave your skis and boots at my house sometime along a six pack, I'll happily mount them. Just don't sue me.

    Loveland also does cheap mounts pretty quickly.
    Thank you good sir, very kind of you. I will let you know.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    447
    IME it doesn't make a huge difference so I'd just ski them till they break off. Once mine broke I mounted up the same skis with alpine binders and they did ski a little different but I wouldn't have done it if the markers didn't blow up.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    38,524
    i swapped a ATframe binder for alpine and noticed a big dif
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    5,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Cool, thanks. Been curious about this for a while. I am in the can’t notice a difference camp
    Also all my other bindings have some ramp, whereas the Dukes are flat. Maybe your other bindings, (if you have any), are flat like the Dukes. Anyway between the extra weight, flat ramp angle, stack height, weird slow return to center, they definitely feel weird or different to most people.
    OP, I agree with most here put some clamps on them and ski, then see where that takes you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,705

    Ski Tech Catch Up since 2014 Model Year

    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Also all my other bindings have some ramp, whereas the Dukes are flat. Maybe your other bindings, (if you have any), are flat like the Dukes. Anyway between the extra weight, flat ramp angle, stack height, weird slow return to center, they definitely feel weird or different to most people.
    OP, I agree with most here put some clamps on them and ski, then see where that takes you.
    My other bindings are mostly STH 14-16, Head Mojo 15s and Tyrolia aatack16s. Iím kinda baffled, I donít think I could pass a blind test on frames vs those. All the frames are on 108+ waisted skis to be used in soft snow, so thereís that I suppose.

    Maybe Iím too strong and good to notice ... nope

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,855
    if its so much faster/better to have low stack height why do alpine racers have bindings with a buncha stack height ?

    I agree you might feel the difference on ramp but If you read a myth somewhere then you might feel the difference because things that are repeated often enough become true

    my experiance with stack height was putting a 25mm G3 shim under a Riva binding and ski it with leatehr boots ... couldn't feel any real difference
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    5,807

    Ski Tech Catch Up since 2014 Model Year

    Put some quality alpine binders on your skis and get your butt in the gym. Incorporate leg blasters into your work out. And if youíre in your mid 30s youíre far from old. This coming from a 47-year-old.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,704
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if its so much faster/better to have low stack height why do alpine racers have bindings with a buncha stack height ?
    Because stack height gives you more leverage over edges. No one said low stack height is better. It’s just different. Some people like the higher/more leverage feeling. Some like the more neutral on snow feel of no stack. Different strokes.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if its so much faster/better to have low stack height why do alpine racers have bindings with a buncha stack height ?
    Because racing and freeride/touring are different, detective

    "If fat rockered skis are so good then why do alpine racers ski on fully cambered skinny skis???"

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Because stack height gives you more leverage over edges. No one said low stack height is better. Itís just different. Some people like the higher/more leverage feeling. Some like the more neutral on snow feel of no stack. Different strokes.
    Exactly

    Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,855
    I don't understand why you wouldn't you wana have more leverage ?

    In any case this is all geeky shit on the internet , I did a little work in a bike store where these lawyers would come in and repeat stuff they read in MBA word for word to the point i would recognise what they had verbaly plagerized from articles ... at least they had lotsa money

    but i'm sure this never happens in skiing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    2,704
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't you wana have more leverage ?

    In any case this is all geeky shit on the internet , I did a little work in a bike store where these lawyers would come in and repeat stuff they read in MBA word for word to the point i would recognise what they had verbaly plagerized from articles ... at least they had lotsa money

    but i'm sure this never happens in skiing
    Because most of suck and don't want all of our movements amplified and translated directly to our edges.

    But, IANAL.
    Skiing, camping, and writing about Colorado's small ski areas over the 2018-19 season: GemsInAVan.com

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    15,855
    people always say its about performance blah blah blah that they read on the internet

    and if yer into ANAL thats your thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,115
    I don't give a shit about stack height, but plate bindings do alter the flex of a ski, making a sort of dead spot in the middle. I had a pair of skis that had Dukes then Looks. Noticeable improvement with the Looks.

    But if I were you I wouldn't change a thing. Just ski. Then decide.

    Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whistler
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't you wana have more leverage ?

    In any case this is all geeky shit on the internet , I did a little work in a bike store where these lawyers would come in and repeat stuff they read in MBA word for word to the point i would recognise what they had verbaly plagerized from articles ... at least they had lotsa money

    but i'm sure this never happens in skiing
    Stability? Fat skis are different from skinny skis? I have no risk of booting out from my boot hitting the snow in a high speed carve on skinny skis? It feels nicer when landing airs of all kinds? Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should dismiss it as fabricated nonsense.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    8,712
    Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    mid 30s = old man... hilarious. dude dont give up on yourself already hahaha.
    Yeah, I was going to post a suggestion for an old man ski until I realized how young he is. (But for the record, and for actual old men--Atomic Backland 109's--I think they're 107's now)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •