Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Relevant and accurate:

Is there any topic more out of reach than homelessness for the TGR crowd?

Half this place probably has more than one home, we pay $5k for a dam bike, have entire quivers of $400+ skis, galavant around Europe for weeks at a time, post pictures of our boats and the latest stupid shit we bought and then think we can have a valid opinion on homelessness. Lol.

Myself included, I just don’t know enough other than what I personally experience living and working in the city. Personal experience isn’t anywhere near comprehensive enough to understand what is going on.

My observations there are 3 types of homeless. Again, just my observation.

1. Dirtbag bums, lazy beggars, druggies, etc. capable of working a job but don’t want to.

2. Mentally ill, the ones punching trees and screaming at crows. Too crazy to follow any type of instructions or take steps for self care.

3. The down on their luck veteran type who just can’t fit into society, they have a job here and there, use services here and there but just can’t cut it.

Again just my observations from living and working in Seattle and Pittsburgh. That’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    At $20/hour and using 30% of take home for housing that leaves under $1,000 month for rent or mortgage/taxes. I checked Zillow for the greater Manchester, NH area and saw 1 (one) listed at or below this and honestly it looked like a scam. This also assumed that the person has not previously been evicted (how did they become homeless), can put up first/last months rent up front, and pass the credit check.

Your assumptions don’t pass the sniff test.
    Fair enough, I made the assumption of a roommate or partner being involved, you know, like basically everyone else. Maybe a bridge to far for a reformed homeless person.

But you should also be fair and not pick an artificially low percentage number (banks approved up to 42%) or that every rental requires a credit check (majority don't) as if it is 30% dti or nothing.
    Live Free or Die

Homeless America by Chris Hedges

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Fair enough, I made the assumption of a roommate or partner being involved, you know, like basically everyone else. Maybe a bridge to far for a reformed homeless person.

But you should also be fair and not pick an artificially low percentage number (banks approved up to 42%) or that every rental requires a credit check (majority don't) as if it is 30% dti or nothing.
    The majority of rentals don’t require a credit check?

Are we still talking about Southern New Hampshire?

I looked at 1 bedroom apartments. 30% is a generally agreed upon percentage for housing cost. Even if a credit check isn’t required, cash up front for 1st month plus security deposit are almost universally required. Where does that money come from when you often need an address to apply for a job?

I don’t have figures or data in front of me but I’d be willing to wager the majority of landlords in southern New Hampshire require some combination of tenant/housing references, credit and/or background check (which typically includes an eviction and criminal record) and a personal reference(s) on top of verifying income and deposit requirements to their satisfaction. At least in this housing market context right now.

This the real estate thread now?

Now that I'm makin' the big Mc'ee Dee coin, I was a thinking of buying that 200k fixer-upper, but fuck it! I'm moving into my van and parking it down by the river.

At least we’re getting a glimpse into some of the attitudes that perpetuate the problem.

@ak47
    Fair amount of overlap in those three. Like the person who needs medical/pharmaceutical care for their mental health, but self medicate with faster/easier to obtain street drugs. Or change the word veteran to victim (of child abuse, rape, assault - or just plain old predatory capitalism)

If you look around your friends & relatives, there's probably one that is borderline in some way. Now imagine how they'd be if their support system disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I looked at 1 bedroom apartments. 30% is a generally agreed upon percentage for housing cost. Even if a credit check isn’t required, cash up front for 1st month plus security deposit are almost universally required. Where does that money come from when you often need an address to apply for a job?
    No, 30% is a percentage that only comes about when people argue about what is "affordable", as if affordable is a given right. And just make up the address, like people don't embellish on resumes.

Life isn't easy but sure fellas, every homeless person is just a victim in some way. Talk about a mentality that perpetuates the problem. They might have to get clean, and a job, and get their shit together but that requires buy in from them and no amount of virtue signaling is going to change that fact.
    Live Free or Die

You can debate the cause ad nauseam. It’s too complicated to put into a handful of categories.

Regardless; the “compassion” experiment has failed. It’s time for some tough policies and a more active approach.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    @ak47
    Fair amount of overlap in those three. Like the person who needs medical/pharmaceutical care for their mental health, but self medicate with faster/easier to obtain street drugs. Or change the word veteran to victim (of child abuse, rape, assault - or just plain old predatory capitalism)

If you look around your friends & relatives, there's probably one that is borderline in some way. Now imagine how they'd be if their support system disappeared.
    Yup. Agree on the overlap, just trying to summarize and put my observations into nice clean boxes, which is a folly in itself.

Also I haven’t observed much of the homeless families side of it because they usually aren’t out in the open as much.

Hell my 42yr old brother lives in my mom’s basement. He can’t hold a job and has mental health and addiction issues, he’d likely be homeless if it weren’t for family support. A lot of people don’t have that safety net.

No, 30% is a percentage that only comes about when people argue about what is "affordable", as if affordable is a given right. And just make up the address, like people don't embellish on resumes.

Life isn't easy but sure fellas, every homeless person is just a victim in some way. Talk about a mentality that perpetuates the problem. They might have to get clean, and a job, and get their shit together but that requires buy in from them and no amount of virtue signaling is going to change that fact.
    Out of touch, stupid, and not funny are no ways to go through life.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Regardless; the “compassion” experiment has failed. It’s time for some tough policies and a more active approach.
    Just to be clear, you are talking about how the Sackler family was treated, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Is there any topic more out of reach than homelessness for the TGR crowd?

Half this place probably has more than one home, we pay $5k for a dam bike, have entire quivers of $400+ skis, galavant around Europe for weeks at a time, post pictures of our boats and the latest stupid shit we bought and then think we can have a valid opinion on homelessness. Lol.

at’s it.
    Thank you thank you

This is my point exactly

In some circles the pretend you care crowd gets great big points because if they care for the homeless and the children and donate to the rescue mission every Christmas they can feel good about their good fortunes in life

None if you fuck sticks have ever paid money to a half way house have you so someone can get a better room preferential treatment get a room faster than waiting in line have you????

Guess what three days later they can't pass a drug test get kicked out the program takes most of the money anyways gives the participant some cash and they go from prison to the streets because doing drugs is what is important

And all you cock suckers can blow me I knew posting in this thread was a bad idea but I was enraged and still am after the shit I delt w this weekend and to confirm all your personal attacks on me yes I live in a ski town yes I have a small but expensive and nice home yes I have a very nice van and multiple cars yes my family has considerable wealth and I've never had to worry about money but I have a family member I have to babysit day in and out right now they are housed and soon they will be back in prison its a huge cycle of zero personal responsibility

^my family and I do too, pal. And we put up with and do the same shit you’re doing. It’s frustrating but we don’t spout off to our dentists painting everyone with a broad brush.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Thank you thank you

This is my point exactly

In some circles the pretend you care crowd gets great big points because if they care for the homeless and the children and donate to the rescue mission every Christmas they can feel good about their good fortunes in life

None if you fuck sticks have ever paid money to a half way house have you so someone can get a better room preferential treatment get a room faster than waiting in line have you????

Guess what three days later they can't pass a drug test get kicked out the program takes most of the money anyways gives the participant some cash and they go from prison to the streets because doing drugs is what is important

And all you cock suckers can blow me I knew posting in this thread was a bad idea but I was enraged and still am after the shit I delt w this weekend and to confirm all your personal attacks on me yes I live in a ski town yes I have a small but expensive and nice home yes I have a very nice van and multiple cars yes my family has considerable wealth and I've never had to worry about money but I have a family member I have to babysit day in and out right now they are housed and soon they will be back in prison its a huge cycle of zero personal responsibility
    Now it’s clear, you and your family are the problem and you lack empathy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I nailed it in post #65.

That being said, I'm sorry for what you and your family are going through fred. Just don't project that your situation is universal.

Hey usual suspects, thanks for my daily dose of cringe.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Mental health and addiction aside, maybe if we didn't "need" all the things we "need" we wouldn't have the issues we have.

Life doesn't need to be as complicated or as full of "things" as it is. Perhaps today's issues are a function of modern living and what is seen as advancements in society. Maybe the reality is that we've all created this situation with the an illusion of what life should be - bigger, better, sexier when in reality so little of that truly matters.

Humans are so stupid and as a species they appear miserable, never happy with just being and so far away from what nature intended. Everyday I watch the deer that live on my property and they seem so content, so at ease with their lives. There are some I've come to know who have been with me for years browsing on the plants, bearing young, resting under shady trees together. That to me seems like a wonderful life. Yeah... I know... I'm being silly still, I bet there weren't any homeless Native Americans/First Peoples back before ol' whitey showed up and poisoned everything with their big ideas that the status quo just wasn't good enough.

/day dreaming rant
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Am I like the only, middle-class person in here? I’m still driving the 18 year old car that, ex-pow sold me when he moved to Canada. Thanks bro! Took me three years of squirreling away money to afford a new bike. I’ve never been out of country, the home we own is way under $200,000, shall I continue?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Your old school RC is showing. One huge unsolvable problem with taking on the issue of masses of hurting people living on the streets is the way we fund programs with short term grants to non profits.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Am I like the only, middle-class person in here? I’m still driving the 18 year old car that, ex-pow sold me when he moved to Canada. Thanks bro! Took me three years of squirreling away money to afford a new bike. I’ve never been out of country, the home we own is way under $200,000
    Probably.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Am I like the only, middle-class person in here? I’m still driving the 18 year old car that, ex-pow sold me when he moved to Canada. Thanks bro!
    *raises hand*

I hold on to cars. If they are still running and are safe I see no reason to get a new one.

Same goes for appliances as I noted in another thread where someone said their washer went out and they would need to get a new dryer also so it would match despite the dryer being functional. My washer & dryer are mismatched. Not even the same height. *shrug* If someone is going to judge me on that well they don't need to come in my house. I would think more of someone who kept older but functioning appliances/autos than someone who just upgraded because of looks but maybe that's just me and I'm an outlier.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Am I like the only, middle-class person in here? I’m still driving the 18 year old car that, ex-pow sold me when he moved to Canada. Thanks bro! Took me three years of squirreling away money to afford a new bike. I’ve never been out of country, the home we own is way under $200,000, shall I continue?
    Dude aren’t you in Naples Florida like every month posting pics of your bike?

Or is that someone else.

Middle class sure, but those plane tickets and time off work can’t be cheap.