Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 211
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,397
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Mental health and addiction aside, maybe if we didn't "need" all the things we "need" we wouldn't have the issues we have.

    Life doesn't need to be as complicated or as full of "things" as it is. Perhaps today's issues are a function of modern living and what is seen as advancements in society. Maybe the reality is that we've all created this situation with the an illusion of what life should be - bigger, better, sexier when in reality so little of that truly matters.

    Humans are so stupid and as a species they appear miserable, never happy with just being and so far away from what nature intended. Everyday I watch the deer that live on my property and they seem so content, so at ease with their lives. There are some I've come to know who have been with me for years browsing on the plants, bearing young, resting under shady trees together. That to me seems like a wonderful life. Yeah... I know... I'm being silly still, I bet there weren't any homeless Native Americans/First Peoples back before ol' whitey showed up and poisoned everything with their big ideas that the status quo just wasn't good enough.

    /day dreaming rant
    Now I want to be one of KQís deer. Sounds wonderful.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,638
    Indeed, the Kenmore washer and dryer we purchased 19 years ago are still kicking ass! Yes they are basic white top-loaders, I could give a fuck!
    crab in my shoe mouth

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    21,785
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Indeed, the Kenmore washer and dryer we purchased 19 years ago are still kicking ass! Yes they are basic white top-loaders, I could give a fuck!
    I've got a 40yo Westinghouse fridge in my shop that is still keeping things cold.
    ďWhen you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,638
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Dude arenít you in Naples Florida like every month posting pics of your bike?

    Or is that someone else.

    Middle class sure, but those plane tickets and time off work canít be cheap.
    Thatís my brothers bike, and I purchase the cheapest tickets available to visit my folks twice a year.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    15,321
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Am I like the only, middle-class person in here? Iím still driving the 18 year old car that, ex-pow sold me when he moved to Canada. Thanks bro! Took me three years of squirreling away money to afford a new bike. Iíve never been out of country, the home we own is way under $200,000, shall I continue?
    man, i am so glad to hear that car is still going. you gotta come up and see these trails one day thoughÖ. and my brand new 2008!

    i may not be rich but iím glad to be attached enough to reality to be grateful for what i have and not make stupid comments about how homeless people deserve it.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,638
    Dude, my wife fights me on who gets to drive it, she loves driving the six speed manual! She has serious clutch skills.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    13,048
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Also I havenít observed much of the homeless families side of it because they usually arenít out in the open as much.
    Your bro's lucky to have your family's support.

    Here's a sad story about a family that stayed under the radar. They lived across the street from my brother, and fell on some sort of hard times (not aware of the specifics) resulting in them living in their car in a neighbor's driveway. A few people on the block helped them in whatever ways they could (mostly food), but their water was from a hose, and they had to use the restrooms in the park. The kid (or maybe it was kids) still attended the elementary school (on the same block), and at least one parent still went to work. Aside from those close neighbors, nobody even knew they were homeless.

    My brother said there were none of the typical clues that they were drunks/users/crazy. Just financial fuckups.

    One day they were gone, and nobody knew what eventually happened to them, but once on that trajectory it's pretty difficult to recover without a lot of help/intervention. They must've had a default (mortgage or rental) that resulted in an eviction. At that point there wouldn't have been a single landlord/management company that would've approved their application. Since each application eats up $50ish in screening fees, they certainly couldn't afford to risk too many kicks at that can.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    21,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Your bro's lucky to have your family's support.

    Here's a sad story about a family that stayed under the radar. They lived across the street from my brother, and fell on some sort of hard times (not aware of the specifics) resulting in them living in their car in a neighbor's driveway. A few people on the block helped them in whatever ways they could (mostly food), but their water was from a hose, and they had to use the restrooms in the park. The kid (or maybe it was kids) still attended the elementary school (on the same block), and at least one parent still went to work. Aside from those close neighbors, nobody even knew they were homeless.

    My brother said there were none of the typical clues that they were drunks/users/crazy. Just financial fuckups.

    One day they were gone, and nobody knew what eventually happened to them, but once on that trajectory it's pretty difficult to recover without a lot of help/intervention. They must've had a default (mortgage or rental) that resulted in an eviction. At that point there wouldn't have been a single landlord/management company that would've approved their application. Since each application eats up $50ish in screening fees, they certainly couldn't afford to risk too many kicks at that can.
    It's a sick sad world.
    ďWhen you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Am I like the only, middle-class person in here? Iím still driving the 18 year old car that, ex-pow sold me when he moved to Canada. Thanks bro! Took me three years of squirreling away money to afford a new bike. Iíve never been out of country, the home we own is way under $200,000, shall I continue?
    *cough* bullshit *cough*

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    22,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Your bro's lucky to have your family's support.

    Here's a sad story about a family that stayed under the radar. They lived across the street from my brother, and fell on some sort of hard times (not aware of the specifics) resulting in them living in their car in a neighbor's driveway. A few people on the block helped them in whatever ways they could (mostly food), but their water was from a hose, and they had to use the restrooms in the park. The kid (or maybe it was kids) still attended the elementary school (on the same block), and at least one parent still went to work. Aside from those close neighbors, nobody even knew they were homeless.

    My brother said there were none of the typical clues that they were drunks/users/crazy. Just financial fuckups.

    One day they were gone, and nobody knew what eventually happened to them, but once on that trajectory it's pretty difficult to recover without a lot of help/intervention. They must've had a default (mortgage or rental) that resulted in an eviction. At that point there wouldn't have been a single landlord/management company that would've approved their application. Since each application eats up $50ish in screening fees, they certainly couldn't afford to risk too many kicks at that can.
    There's a lot more people under the radar than people realize. Which skews the numbers because we typically only see certain specific categories, the ones that bring out Fred's true colors.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,638
    You donít know me and you never will.
    Take a lap. I would call you a beater but you donít even ski.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2,014

    Homeless America by Chris Hedges

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1686084903.396934.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	461128
    Better than you

    Your wifeís a lawyer and sponsors your lifestyle.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,638

    Homeless America by Chris Hedges

    I highly doubt it, if you donít get out of shape once or twice a day skiing bumps on Superstar, you might be Donna Weinbracht.
    Youíre the incel who chased Benny out of here, sad little man.
    This weird little man and his constant doxing of mags gets old quick.
    Like I said, you donít know me.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    There's a lot more people under the radar than people realize. Which skews the numbers because we typically only see certain specific categories, the ones that bring out Fred's true colors.
    Go fuck yourself and every one else can suck my dick

    My brother is your neighbor you piece of shit

    There are plenty of people willing to help there ate endless services available

    You just need to show up and homeless people refuse to show up

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    12,353
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    <snip> the home we own is way under $200,000, shall I continue?
    The house is *currently* worth way under $200K? That's actually impressive.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,638
    It might be worth more now, needs a roof, can you float me 30g?
    crab in my shoe mouth

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    12,353
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I highly doubt it, if you donít get out of shape once or twice a day skiing bumps on Superstar, you might be Donna Weinbracht.
    Youíre the incel who chased Benny out of here, sad little man.
    This weird little man and his constant doxing of mags gets old quick.
    Like I said, you donít know me.
    Is your wife really a lawyer?

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    12,353
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    It might be worth more now, needs a roof, can you float me 30g?
    So wait - you *purchased* it for way under $200K? How long ago was that?

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    between campus and church
    Posts
    9,577
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    The house is *currently* worth way under $200K? That's actually impressive.
    Particularly in the same neighborhood at film maker, Ken Burns.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    I-70 West
    Posts
    4,631
    Time to bump the lower/middle/upper class thread?

    I've had a few stints with local nonprofits, both with a street outreach program and a 12+ month transitional program for homeless men. It's mentally draining at best, and fucking brutal when promising individuals fall back into their worst habits. Some come back and try again, but some just fall off the face of the earth.

    We don't fund successful programs, and pay the people behind them, nearly enough.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    10,638

    Homeless America by Chris Hedges

    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Particularly in the same neighborhood at film maker, Ken Burns.
    He lives way below his means, for real. Heís just a regular guy.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2,014

    Homeless America by Chris Hedges

    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I highly doubt it, if you donít get out of shape once or twice a day skiing bumps on Superstar, you might be Donna Weinbracht.
    Youíre the incel who chased Benny out of here, sad little man.
    This weird little man and his constant doxing of mags gets old quick.
    Like I said, you donít know me.
    Didnít chase Benny out of here. He threw a tantrum after I used his own words against him, much like what i do with you.
    Quit being a puffed up lying sack of shit, Iíve never doxxed anyone.

    ETA: you would ski circles around me, Iíll give you that.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    13,636

    Homeless America by Chris Hedges

    Letís not beat up on buttah he doesnít understand his privilege.

    I think KQ is on the right track here, our lives are literally filled with unnecessary shit. Everyone takes too much. Everyone sees this and itís held up as an ideal. For some people itís just too overwhelming, couple that with mental health issues and a predisposition to substance abuse and I can see how we wound up here. Iím not sure that this problem, in this country, can be fixed. Itís a symptom of the greater decline of this democratic/capitalism experiment. Enjoy it while you can and be kind to others and donít take too much


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    13,048
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Time to bump the lower/middle/upper class thread?

    I've had a few stints with local nonprofits, both with a street outreach program and a 12+ month transitional program for homeless men. It's mentally draining at best, and fucking brutal when promising individuals fall back into their worst habits. Some come back and try again, but some just fall off the face of the earth.

    We don't fund successful programs, and pay the people behind them, nearly enough.
    Bolded part is soooo true.

    Literally everyone I've met who've worked or volunteered with homeless people for a good amount of time eventually burned out due to the emotional toll. For every success there are multiple failures.

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    13,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Bolded part is soooo true.

    Literally everyone I've met who've worked or volunteered with homeless people for a good amount of time eventually burned out due to the emotional toll. For every success there are multiple failures.
    That bolded part is true because for the most part people donít care about the homeless. They only care because they donít like to see it and it makes people feel better about themselves to think that it couldnít happen to them.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •