Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inkline Closed?

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I got some boots fit successfully with OC last winter at his new location around 9th S 8th W. It was just just him and a girl on the phones. He's always been the best around to me, think these were the fourth pair he's fit for me. Never worked with anyone else in the shop except Bootsy back in the beginning and he's solid of course. Zo at DPH did some good work for me years ago, bummer he's not doing boots anymore. Anyhow, I referred a friend to Inkline later in the season and he never got a call back. Got some Rossi plugs I'm considering trying this season and they're gonna be a project for sure. Gonna call OC this week, I'll post up with results.

Matt Schiller in PC sounds promising. Anyone have any other recommendations for a backup plan in the valley besides Sports loft?
    I got a hold of him last year as well at that location. Was hoping to get some new boots dialed in but the number he used last winter is disconnected. Was going to try again in a few weeks before going somewhere else. If you get a hold of him can you shoot me a pm?

You bet.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Well, I'm striking out. Even the personal cell number OC gave me last year isn't his anymore. Gonna keep looking for some leads but it looks bleak.

I tried to work with Bagley once and thought he was a putz. He would not listen to anything I told him and the prices were outrageous. I won't try to work with him again. OC was the best part of that outfit back in the day.

Just emailed Matt Schilling. Seems very legit but I live in the Valley and ski in LCC, the location is pretty inconvenient for me.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Damn. He told me last year that he had a 1 year lease at the new location and was thinking about getting something going up at the Bird. I'll keep my eyes and ears open but not super optimistic.

Bagley retired towards the end of last season with Christys taking over his space. I bought Zipfits from his shop and when I noticed the hack job that was done running a warmer cable I went back in.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Damn. He told me last year that he had a 1 year lease at the new location and was thinking about getting something going up at the Bird. I'll keep my eyes and ears open but not super optimistic.
    I assume this is the new location and #:
    OC's Boot Shop
    922 South 500 West Unit D
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

If so, no luck on my end either which is huge bummer. I dreaded going to Inkline even when I had an appointment with Chris because I knew it would eat most of my afternoon and I may have to interact with one of the other "staff members" at some point... but I knew Chris would get the job done. Now I have a pair of Tecnica Zero G coming in that I know will require work and no idea where to go...

Bump. Any one discovered the new best and so far unknown bootfitter in SLC?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Bump. Any one discovered the new best and so far unknown bootfitter in SLC?
    I'd be interested in the answer as well, as i spend a fair amount of the winter skiing in and around SLC. But it's ironic in such a huge ski town as SLC, apparently there are no really good options to get boots fitted?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mandy at 2nd tracks mill creek set up my boots today and she is knowledgeable for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    I'd be interested in the answer as well, as i spend a fair amount of the winter skiing in and around SLC. But it's ironic in such a huge ski town as SLC, apparently there are no really good options to get boots fitted?

That’s not at all accurate. Lots of good options around here. The Sports Loft has been great to me though they are brutally expensive. Worth it for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Mandy at 2nd tracks mill creek set up my boots today and she is knowledgeable for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I was laughing today as I was walking around second tracks in the afternoon and there was no less than 20 people in ski gear milling around...

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    That’s not at all accurate. Lots of good options around here. The Sports Loft has been great to me though they are brutally expensive. Worth it for me though.
    Absolutely, the Sports Loft is top notch. I heard a rumor that they no longer charge for punches, if that is true then it might be a reasonable option.

There are plenty of good fitters. For Alta skiers the Powder House at the GMD and at the Deep Powder House do a good job. Dave at Alta Sports was also good, don't know if he is going to surface with Alta taking that space over.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Mandy at 2nd tracks mill creek set up my boots today and she is knowledgeable for sure .
    Based on previous experiences I wouldn't let her near my boots. She is knowledgeable as far as sticking a toe cap in a sock and thermo molding a liner but 100% of what she's done to my shells was off and had to be fixed by Chris. And half of what she was supposed to do was never done by the time she told me the boots would be ready. One of the last times I was there she lied about having done 2 punches she had marked at the previous visit. When I called her out on it she told me she'd have them done within 30 minutes even though all other other punches were done overnight... Confidence inspiring to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I had some rather unimpressive experiences at the Sports Loft with the exception of their prices. Jeremy did an OK job for me but nothing that justified the mad $$ he charged.

Gonna check this out, thanks!

Y’all need to find out who’s doing the race kids boots. No way they’re sliding into those plugs without work being done. Back in the day there was a guy who did a lot of race shells in the basement of the racquet club. #rip

BTW, heard a guy from 2nd Tracks is opening up a shop in the valley, don't know where. Opie, Mgr of 2nd tracks downtown went with him, think they are waiting for non-compete to expire. Never had boots fitted by Opie but he spent time at Alta's shop at Wildcat and also at Peruvian before going to 2nd tracks, all around good guy.

FWIW I had a pair of K2 boots that Earl at the Sports Loft put me in probably six years ago, they were the absolute best fitting boots I ever had. Had to go back twice for punches, I have a wide foot and he put me in 98's which were too tight. At the time I was pissed as he had the K2 boot in a 102 wide and I am thinking he put me in a narrow boot to churn some $. In hindsight I think he knew the 98 punched would end up being a better fit. I think the boots with insoles and punches ended up being $1200. Three years ago the liners were shot and two buckles broke which are $40 each so I did an end of the season 50% off at the Motherlode (GMD) and they are good boots also. Colby there can fit boots.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I think the boots with insoles and punches ended up being $1200.
    That is crazy expensive. But i guess you can't really put a price on feet not hurting while skiing. (.... Or i guess you can. In this case it's $1200)

Lots of really great bootfitters in SLC

Just to name a few:
    ** Zach and Luke at Lifthouse
    ** Mike at Sports Den
    ** Cody at Powderhouse 6200 (if still there)
    ** Taylor at Snowbird Christy (if still there)
    ** The Skimo crew for touring boots
    ** Brent and Matt at PC Ski Boot
    ** Jeremy and Earl at Sports Loft

All are worth every penny, just go about things differently, so a real recommendation really depends on what you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post

Just to name a few:
    ** Mike at Sports Den

All are worth every penny, just go about things differently, so a real recommendation really depends on what you are after.
    Cody and Colby both work at the Motherlode (GMD) during the winter. With Zo no longer at the Deep Powder house there is another fitter who did a nice job for my wife last year but his name escapes me. I have to give him props, my wife is extremely picky and when it comes to ski boots she sometimes can't describe exactly what the issue is.

Mentioned above, but Brent Amsbury at Park City Ski Boot is excellent. Obviously in Park City, not SLC. I have had work done by Jeremy and Earl at Sport Loft in the past, they are good too, but I like Brent better. Another bonus with Brent, I'm pretty sure if you buy the boots from him he includes all the boot work (don't quote me on this though), whereas Sport Loft bills you for every stretch and punch even after you shelled out full price for the boot. Matt Schilling at the Boot Room in Park City is also excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post

Just to name a few:
    ** Mike at Sports Den

Thanks, that opens up tons of options.
    To me bootfitting is like witchcraft and Yelp reviews for witches suck balls. I'd rather ask here and get recommendations from people who actually ski, not randos who are putting their rental boots on the wrong foot then giving the bootfitter a 1 star review.
    What I'm after is someone who can make a pair of AT boots work. Nothing overly fancy, mostly blowing out the toebox so my piggies don't freeze, punch the shell in a couple of spots, and properly address the fact that I have the flattest feet in human history and need insoles/footbeds to properly post my foot or my ankle bone basically rubs a hole through the shell...
    Last edited by Boissal; 11-05-2019 at 11:23 AM.

That is crazy expensive. But i guess you can't really put a price on feet not hurting while skiing. (.... Or i guess you can. In this case it's $1200)

Aside from probably paying full retail for the boots this doesnt sound all that bad. I had a pair that i brought in and the fitting/mods/footbeds were nearly $600. I got the boots pro deal and even then its still damned close to $1K

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Aside from probably paying full retail for the boots this doesnt sound all that bad. I had a pair that i brought in and the fitting/mods/footbeds were nearly $600. I got the boots pro deal and even then its still damned close to $1K
    I think the general consensus is if you're buying boots from a shop, they're not charging you for each and every additional punch for the fitting. That all comes standard with the full retail price boot purchase. (Or it SHOULD.) But as noted on this thread, it's a known quirk of sports loft that they do a la carte you death.

I mean, no judgement. If they can get away with doing that and still keep a returning clientele, then more power to them.

I think the general consensus is if you're buying boots from a shop, they're not charging you for each and every additional punch for the fitting. That all comes standard with the full retail price boot purchase. (Or it SHOULD.) But as noted on this thread, it's a known quirk of sports loft that they do a la carte you death.

I mean, no judgement. If they can get away with doing that and still keep a returning clientele, then more power to them.

they do nickel and dime a bit, but I think if you buy boots from them some work is included. They are for sure not the cheapest around for boots though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I assume this is the new location and #:
    OC's Boot Shop
    922 South 500 West Unit D
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

If so, no luck on my end either which is huge bummer. I dreaded going to Inkline even when I had an appointment with Chris because I knew it would eat most of my afternoon and I may have to interact with one of the other "staff members" at some point... but I knew Chris would get the job done. Now I have a pair of Tecnica Zero G coming in that I know will require work and no idea where to go...
    hey Boissal, which bootfitter in the slc/pc area did you end up with? i got the same boot with similar fit issues as you and others have mentioned over on the Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro thread. sure would be great to find an equivalent to the boot-fitting wizardry of Chris (Inkline).
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by I, the Powfinder View Post
    hey Boissal, which bootfitter in the slc/pc area did you end up with? i got the same boot with similar fit issues as you and others have mentioned over on the Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro thread. sure would be great to find an equivalent to the boot-fitting wizardry of Chris (Inkline).
    Responded to your PM but I figure I might as well post here since the question pops up every year.
    I ended up going to PC Ski Boot and worked with Jerry and Brent. They managed to make my ZeroGs work beautifully for my shitty feet. Nicely posted footbed + aggressive boot board grind + a couple punches to widen things in the toe box and the boots feel as good as my roomier Spectres felts after 150 days. They also ski significantly better but that has more to do with the boot than their work...

Price-wise it was a bit more than Chris has charged me in the past and a bit less than what I've paid at the Sports Loft. Overall I'd say it's a better deal than what I used to get from Inkline because the PC guys are on time and don't start helping everyone who walks in the door during your appointment. They only work by appointment so you're in and out in about an hour max. My follow-up (additional boot board & shell grind) was free since Jerry didn't think he did enough work to justify charging me.

Ms Boissal bought a pair of Scarpas from Skimo and had the liner cooked and some foam work done there. I'm sure they do good work but there's one bro in there who has so much fucking attitude I doubt I could sit through an hour of boot work. It's like getting douched with a mixture of superiority and condescension because you're not buying a Pierre Gignoux pro model carbon slipper. Ms Boissal works with MDs all day so she's used to this kind of behavior but that guy managed to grate on her nerves, something I thought only I could accomplish...