Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 231
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,839

    Buying a new bike, bike industry has lost me

    So, I currently ride a Santa Cruz Bronson, CC 2015, with custom build, envy wheels, XO etc.. I am thinking i need to replace it and get some value out of the bike before it becomes totally obsolete.

    I have been trying to figure out what to get. I know that Santa Cruz, Pivot and Yeti are making some of the better bikes, but jesus there are so many SKU's, 29er, 275, oversized. How do these guys expect to sell when there are so many choices.

    I understand that i need to decide on what i am looking for, which happens to be a cross between a cross country and enduro. Flow trails are what i am primarily riding, but plenty of steep descents and ascents here in CO.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    208 State
    Posts
    1,996
    Evil Offering?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Evil Offering?
    i dont get it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    2,275
    Why not just get a new Bronson?

    Lots of great reviews for Ibis Ripmo.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    No thanks. I'll stick with porn. - Benny

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    208 State
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    i dont get it?
    Company name = Evil

    Bike frame 140mm travel = The Offering

    Get it?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    208 State
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Why not just get a new Bronson?

    Lots of great reviews for Ibis Ripmo.
    Why not just get a Nomad then? Or a Hightower LT if you're drinking the Santa Cruz koolaid

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    i dont get it?
    https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/offering

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Company name = Evil

    Bike frame 140mm travel = The Offering

    Get it?
    yes thank you. I am out of the bike industry and really dont follow it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,499
    What do you like about the Bronson? What do you dislike about it? Is there anything you're trying to accomplish with this new bike other than freshening up the rig and staying on top of industry trends / fads / standards? Budget? Priorities (i.e. efficient climbing / light weight / playful and poppy / descending smashiness / other)?

    There's shitloads of great bikes out there, many of which are more or less comparable to the Bronson. Gonna need some more specific criteria than "somewhere between XC and enduro."

    Or, I guess, this can just be one of those threads where everyone names random bikes. If you're just looking for a really long list of bikes that may or may not be anywhere near what you actually want, you'll get that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,688
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    So, I currently ride a Santa Cruz Bronson, CC 2015, with custom build, envy wheels, XO etc.. I am thinking i need to replace it and get some value out of the bike before it becomes totally obsolete.
    Don't do this.

    I mean, unless you really just want a new bike. If so, carry on.

    And make sure to get the red one.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What do you like about the Bronson? What do you dislike about it? Is there anything you're trying to accomplish with this new bike other than freshening up the rig and staying on top of industry trends / fads / standards? Budget? Priorities (i.e. efficient climbing / light weight / playful and poppy / descending smashiness / other)?

    There's shitloads of great bikes out there, many of which are more or less comparable to the Bronson. Gonna need some more specific criteria than "somewhere between XC and enduro."

    Or, I guess, this can just be one of those threads where everyone names random bikes. If you're just looking for a really long list of bikes that may or may not be anywhere near what you actually want, you'll get that.
    Good questions. I dont know, it seems to climb well but isnt super plush going down. I rode a Trek when i was in hood river the other week. It was a a fuel 9.8 29 er. Was sweet going downhill but was super sluggish climbing. i want something that will take large hits, is quick but climbs well. I am not racing XC but want to be able to go out and put in 20-30 miles (monarch crest) and not have a bike that drags me down on the climbs. I know those are huge generalizations.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,884
    they are all good for something, ride some and pick the one that speaks to you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,499
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Good questions. I dont know, it seems to climb well but isnt super plush going down. I rode a Trek when i was in hood river the other week. It was a a fuel 9.8 29 er. Was sweet going downhill but was super sluggish climbing. i want something that will take large hits, is quick but climbs well. I am not racing XC but want to be able to go out and put in 20-30 miles (monarch crest) and not have a bike that drags me down on the climbs. I know those are huge generalizations.
    Before you go selling your nice bike that you seem to like alright and that isn't that old, it might be worth messing around with the suspension. The Bronson should be fine on descents. And the Trek Fuel should be fine (maybe better than the Bronson) on climbs. So my gut reaction is that the suspension was set up incorrectly for you on both of those bikes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,378
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    I dont know, it seems to climb well but isnt super plush going down.
    My wife has that bike, this makes no sense.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,688
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Before you go selling your nice bike that you seem to like alright and that isn't that old, it might be worth messing around with the suspension. The Bronson should be fine on descents. And the Trek Fuel should be fine (maybe better than the Bronson) on climbs. So my gut reaction is that the suspension was set up incorrectly for you on both of those bikes.
    And I'll wager a guess with regards to the suspension not being plush - Fox fork?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And I'll wager a guess with regards to the suspension not being plush - Fox fork?
    no, rock shock front, cane creek rear.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Before you go selling your nice bike that you seem to like alright and that isn't that old, it might be worth messing around with the suspension. The Bronson should be fine on descents. And the Trek Fuel should be fine (maybe better than the Bronson) on climbs. So my gut reaction is that the suspension was set up incorrectly for you on both of those bikes.
    SO this was my other question. It is worth putting the eagle drive train on it and then just riding it into the ground? Keep it for another couple years.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,499
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    no, rock shock front, cane creek rear.
    Just as an experiment, open up (i.e. loosen) both the high and low speed compression adjustments on your rear shock. Count the clicks / turns so you can put it back to where you have it if needed. But it'd be worth tinkering a bit to see if you can make your bike feel better.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,688
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    SO this was my other question. It is worth putting the eagle drive train on it and then just riding it into the ground? Keep it for another couple years.
    Is it currently a 2x10?

    Not sure putting on an Eagle drivetrain is worth it - unless, perhaps, the drivetrain is clapped out?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is it currently a 2x10?

    Not sure putting on an Eagle drivetrain is worth it - unless, perhaps, the drivetrain is clapped out?
    1x11

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,688
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    1x11
    I wouldn't bother spending a ton on Eagle unless you have current drivetrain issues...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    36,060
    Best advice I got from a deceased biking buddy is that, it's not a new bike, it's another bike.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    SO this was my other question. It is worth putting the eagle drive train on it and then just riding it into the ground? Keep it for another couple years.
    Man, it sounds like you have a solution ($$) in search of a problem. A 2015 carbon Bronson is definitely not obsolete. What are the problems that you have with it that is causing you to want to sell it or upgrade it?

    1. Suspension doesn't seem well tuned.
    2. Shifting is poor? Range is small?

    For 1., take Toast's recommendation and figure out what about it isn't working to your expectation. Are you using all of your travel? Is small bump compliance poor? Is it rebounding from bumps too quickly? There are solutions for all of these not the least of these is custom suspension tuning which costs a lot less than a new bike.

    For 2., is the high range too low or high? Is the low range not low enough? Consider a new cassette or chainring. Is the shifting no longer crisp? Consider new cables.

    Most of the problems are solved through tuning/tweaking. A new bike may not solve the issues you are trying to solve or, worse, introduce new problems you didn't already have.

    Seth

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    7,077

    Buying a new bike, bike industry has lost me

    You should keep your bike and get another completely different bike like a single speed or something. Yer bored.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,345
    X4 or whatever on you don't need a new bike, you need to futz with your suspension and send your extra $$ to me for safe keeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •