Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    yes i have the cane creek double barrell air. I am just going to leave it as it, and try and get a refund. No worries.
    This also brings me to another rant, about how nothing seems to be compatible with anything. Anyway thank for your help.
    Ah, so that was probably the root cause of the shop issues - the 15mm outer bearing race was probably forced into a 14.7mm hole, making it impossible to install anything else without breaking it. And if the shop didn't order the hardware themselves they might just not have understood the compatibility issue.

I guess it can't hurt to try to see how your bike rides on the normal bushing / shock hardware, try to get your settings dialed back in now that you've had your service done on the fork and shock. That will at least get you to see if you're on the right track trying to get this bike to work for you.

Don't throw out the needle bearing hardware though, in case you decide it's still worth your trouble to try to get the bike going well with a different shock on the back end. I see way more complaints from CCDBA owners than I do from Monarch Plus RC3 owners - despite/because of the adjustability and design of the CCDBA maybe?

I can just tell you as far as "plushness" goes on the rear end of a gen 1 Bronson, you probably won't find a single person who has installed needle bearings to say it wasn't worth the trouble.

I got a some runs on my Bronson 1 CC this past weekend in Ashland Oregon, which has a mix of fast riding over chickenheads, some technical rock gardens, lots of smooth drifty quartzy decomposing-granite, lots of opportunities to jump, lots of flow and berms, lots of tight transitions, unfortunately a ton of braking bumps right now and about 5000' vert each lap ... the bike isn't the most ideal geometry for me, but when I was riding with good balance and in sync with the trail, I found myself saying "these wheels and this bike are really good." Light weight, stiff, lands jumps very well, can handle high speed chunder (but maybe not 1000 deep braking bumps). It's not the bike for everyone, but it's very light and for its weight, plush enough in its design if tuned well.

Good luck trying to dial in this bike or another one.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Not saying the shop doesn't still need to fix this, but...

If a customer brings in some semi- obscure parts that were bought elsewhere and is looking for the shop to install them, and then those parts get fucked up during installation because the customer bought the wrong parts and they're .3mm out of spec for what he needs, I have a harder time holding the shop fully accountable. Again, the shop's service was pretty clearly sub par in other respects, but I'd give them a pass on the bearing fuckery.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

If a customer brings in some semi- obscure parts that were bought elsewhere and is looking for the shop to install them, and then those parts get fucked up during installation because the customer bought the wrong parts and they're .3mm out of spec for what he needs, I have a harder time holding the shop fully accountable. Again, the shop's service was pretty clearly sub par in other respects, but I'd give them a pass on the bearing fuckery.
    Good point. “Obscure” being key. I know of one mechanic in particular that would somehow magically make the wrong size work. I know more than a few good mechanics that might not have caught the off spec parts and possibly screwed them up. My wizard mechanic buddy would have saved the tool and just not installed the part at the very least. I can see a .3 screwing with a mechanics reasoning. Keep the customer happy though. Wholesale on the tool and part and wholesale on additional parts or gear , up to the wholesale price of the bearing and tool To cover the customers loss in $’s at the same time the shop doesn’t lose any $. They can just restock the item and make there mark up on it with another customer.Win win

I agree. However, if a shop broke a tool and part that I brought in, I would still expect them to replace them, regardless of obscurity.

Good point. But, when I initially went in and asked them about it, to purchase from them, they looked at me like I had two heads. They had no idea what I was taking about. I then sent them the video on how to installl it. My point being, I wasn’t trying to find the parts cheaper, I was just trying to get the parts installed.

On the other hand, when I bought this from Fanatic Bike, they told me it would work on a 2015 Bronson.

So who is at fault?

So who is at fault?
    I'd mostly blame whoever makes the bearing kit for not making it explicitly clear that installation is more involved on certain shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Shop owner them gets a booking discount but still marks up 100% from normal wholesale and then gives the customer a deal and the owner is still getting his normal 100% mark up because he was smart and stocked the right product at the reduced pre booking bike show deal.
    You seem really knowledgeable and I’m curious, exactly which bicycle components do you think LBS’s make 100% mark up from base wholesale?

Also, I had no idea any retailers still actually wrote orders at Interbike...

I'd mostly blame whoever makes the bearing kit for not making it explicitly clear that installation is more involved on certain shocks.
    Yeah but Fanatic Bike was the dealer, so they are accountable to the customer. RWC is accountable to Fanatic Bike.

Basalt Ski for at least ought to replace the tool.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Also, isn’t Cane Creek like the only shock company that has 3 different eyelet diameters/bushing sizes?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Also, isn’t Cane Creek like the only shock company that has 3 different eyelet diameters/bushing sizes?
    this is the problem with this industry. 3 different sizes for the same part.

So I demoed a fully loaded carbon Transition Sentinel last week and I take back everything I said in this thread. Go buy a new bike. For the record, I love my 14 Bronson and am happy with it, and am not buying a new bike .... but holy shit that's a nice machine.

I try to never "demo" because of this being I have an over 4 year old bike now... but my rear shock was blown and was waiting for same day service on a trip and I still wanted to ride.

this is the problem with this industry. 3 different sizes for the same part.
    That’s a problem with that company. Not the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    So I demoed a fully loaded carbon Transition Sentinel last week and I take back everything I said in this thread. Go buy a new bike. For the record, I love my 14 Bronson and am happy with it, and am not buying a new bike .... but holy shit that's a nice machine.

I try to never "demo" because of this being I have an over 4 year old bike now... but my rear shock was blown and was waiting for same day service on a trip and I still wanted to ride.
    **DTM plugs fingers in ears and runs away screaming**

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    You seem really knowledgeable and I’m curious, exactly which bicycle components do you think LBS’s make 100% mark up from base wholesale?

Dude, the guys at Grabbys, manufacturers of bespoke magnesium iPhone holders optimized for 35mm handlebars, were offering ‘Reno Handshakes’ with every pre-season order.
    It was like the BlackFlies booth at SIA circa 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    **DTM plugs fingers in ears and runs away screaming**
    Take your fingers out and

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Dude, the guys at Grabbys, manufacturers of bespoke magnesium iPhone holders optimized for 35mm handlebars, were offering ‘Reno Handshakes’ with every pre-season order.
    It was like the BlackFlies booth at SIA circa 2005.

I hope it wasn't actually from the guys at grabbys. If so, you have to respect a dedicated salesman that takes a hard sale to a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I hope it wasn't actually from the guys at grabbys. If so, you have to respect a dedicated salesman that takes a hard sale to a happy ending.
    Like all great salesmen, they were just out there grindin’

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

It will bring you so much happiness Just that one day is enough for me to store up until Fall 2019

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Bought AC a new bike in the spring, kid is almost ready to go up to 24", trying to pull off a Whistler trip next year, just not in the cards right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    trying to pull off a Whistler trip next year, just not in the cards right now.
    Man, you know what bike would friggin kill it in Whistler?

Man, you know what bike would friggin kill it in Whistler?
    No idea. I was gonna buy a used DH bike locally and flip it after the trip. I could probably get skideeppow's Bronson for a song right now

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    That’s a problem with that company. Not the industry.

You two might want to start training for another profession now. You sound tired. Business is probably suffering.

So talked to shop owner. Was very apologetic, took complete responsibility.

Was very nice on the phone and is refunded the bearing cost and the tool, i think.

Thanks for reading.

That says a lot that he took ownership.
    One point for the shop...maybe go back when they have better mechanics!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    ...maybe go back when they have better mechanics!
    Maybe. But, really, he should have walked out the door immediately after this happened:

But, when I initially went in and asked them about it, to purchase from them, they looked at me like I had two heads. They had no idea what I was taking about.