Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    So pretty frustrated right now. Dropped the bike off and sent the shock back to cane creek 3 weeks ago Monday. The shop calls me 10 days later. Cane creek just got the shock, so obviously someone forgot to ship it, because it doesn’t take 10 days to get from CO to the east coast via Fed Ex ground.

We get the shock back Friday, two days ago. The bike was supposed to be tuned and the front Pike Serviced and the needle bearings put in. None of that was done so it still sitting in the shop because thy are short staffed.

So I get a call Today and when they tried to put the needle bearings in, they bearings went flying all over the floor so they ruined them. When I ordered the needle bearings I also ordered the $30 tool, so they could install it with no issues. Guess That didn’t work.

So 3 weeks and Still no bike.
    Vibes. Any chance they have a loaner shock? Occasionally shops might have something that’ll work in a pinch

So pretty frustrated right now. Dropped the bike off and sent the shock back to cane creek 3 weeks ago Monday. The shop calls me 10 days later. Cane creek just got the shock, so obviously someone forgot to ship it, because it doesn’t take 10 days to get from CO to the east coast via Fed Ex ground.

We get the shock back Friday, two days ago. The bike was supposed to be tuned and the front Pike Serviced and the needle bearings put in. None of that was done so it still sitting in the shop because thy are short staffed.

So I get a call Today and when they tried to put the needle bearings in, they bearings went flying all over the floor so they ruined them. When I ordered the needle bearings I also ordered the $30 tool, so they could install it with no issues. Guess That didn’t work.
    Time for a new shop.

BB&S?

That’s too bad. Sky Mountain’s been riding really well. Looks like the weather changes next week.

See you up on the hill, opening day.

They must have been fucking drunk or something because that install is like a 10 minute process, especially if you bought the tool for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    BB&S?

That’s too bad. Sky Mountain’s been riding really well. Looks like the weather changes next week.

See you up on the hill, opening day.
    Yup, I’m going to go in there tomorrow and just take the bike and find someone else to finish it up.

Yup, I’m going to go in there tomorrow and just take the bike and find someone else to finish it up.
    What shop did you take it to?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What shop did you take it to?
    Basalt Bike and Ski in Basalt

Basalt Bike and Ski in Basalt
    So frustrating. I've had good luck in the past but, like anywhere here I think they go through some turnover.

Cycleteq.. Eric is pretty darn good. give him a call. He comes to you
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

It’s a sign that you should buy a new bike.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

That's a complete bummer.

Are they gonna buy a new needle bearing kit for you? Because exploding the bearings all over the place is on the shop, possibly for having a young kid unsupervised asked to handle that job instead of a seasoned suspension tech.

The needle bearing kit ships with a plastic thimble that holds all the bearings in place until you are ready to install. When you remove the thimble, the grease holds all the bearings in place.

I also hope that shop isn't the local Santa Cruz shop. It seems like any Santa Cruz shop should have at least one person familiar with needle bearings - they are a popular installation on bikes with rotating rocker links. On a VPP suspension you really want the needle bearing kit regardless of what kind of shock you use.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    So frustrating. I've had good luck in the past but, like anywhere here I think they go through some turnover.

Cycleteq.. Eric is pretty darn good. give him a call. He comes to you
    nice, i will call him. you have a number?

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    That's a complete bummer.

Are they gonna buy a new needle bearing kit for you? Because exploding the bearings all over the place is on the shop, possibly for having a young kid unsupervised asked to handle that job instead of a seasoned suspension tech.

The needle bearing kit ships with a plastic thimble that holds all the bearings in place until you are ready to install. When you remove the thimble, the grease holds all the bearings in place.

I also hope that shop isn't the local Santa Cruz shop. It seems like any Santa Cruz shop should have at least one person familiar with needle bearings - they are a popular installation on bikes with rotating rocker links. On a VPP suspension you really want the needle bearing kit regardless of what kind of shock you use.
    So it wasnt the bearings, it was the sleeve you put into the linkage. He snapped that in half. I called Fanatic Bike and they were going to try and get me the sleeve, otherwise i have to buy the kit. They also fucked up the tool, looks to be bent. I called fanatic bike and they said it looks like it was put in crooked.

I didnt ask yet, they gave me 20% off the service and everything else, so probably not. I called the guys who sold me the needle bearing kit, they are trying to get me just the sleave.

I didnt ask yet, they gave me 20% off the service and everything else, so probably not.
    That's bullshit. It should be free + replacing all the shit they broke.

and yes this is the Santa Cruz dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    That's bullshit. It should be free + replacing all the shit they broke.
    This. Wow, I'd be livid.

x 4 or whatever on bullshit.

Shit happens, but it's on the shop to unfuck the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This. Wow, I'd be livid.
    so much went wrong, i just kind of lost any sense of what was right. Every step of the way, they fucked up. I dont know, i just kind of want to be done with it. And just move on. Shit happens but it seems like everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.

so much went wrong, i just kind of lost any sense of what was right. Every step of the way, they fucked up. I dont know, i just kind of want to be done with it. And just move on. Shit happens but it seems like everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.
    Not trying to harp on the situation, but you need to take time and explain to the manager the pile of errors that happened to you.
    In my shop days I'd hear about a shock that did not get shipped on time, I'd hear about a bike that did not get the service done while waiting for that last part to arrive, I'd hear about something getting broke or stripped while installing it, but I would not alway be able to correlate that it was the same customer for all of these fuck ups. I good shop manager should know about all these fucks ups and a better manager should ask the details about the customer that the fuck ups happened to. "Please tell me that todays binding mis-mount was not for the guy who returned his skis last season because his micro calipers measured his bidding to be 0.003" off center"
    You need to explain that they failed you in multiple ways, and this is why your taking your business elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Not trying to harp on the situation, but you need to take time and explain to the manager the pile of errors that happened to you.
    In my shop days I'd hear about a shock that did not get shipped on time, I'd hear about a bike that did not get the service done while waiting for that last part to arrive, I'd hear about something getting broke or stripped while installing it, but I would not alway be able to correlate that it was the same customer for all of these fuck ups. I good shop manager should know about all these fucks ups and a better manager should ask the details about the customer that the fuck ups happened to. "Please tell me that todays binding mis-mount was not for the guy who returned his skis last season because his micro calipers measured his bidding to be 0.003" off center"
    You need to explain that they failed you in multiple ways, and this is why your taking your business elsewhere.
    good point. I will draft an email and let him know. I would contact the owner, he is a friend. I really did not want to have to write this, just a PITA, but i think it has reached a point where it is truly OOC

And people wonder why LBS's are going out of business......

So it wasnt the bearings, it was the sleeve you put into the linkage. He snapped that in half. I called Fanatic Bike and they were going to try and get me the sleeve, otherwise i have to buy the kit. They also fucked up the tool, looks to be bent. I called fanatic bike and they said it looks like it was put in crooked.

I didnt ask yet, they gave me 20% off the service and everything else, so probably not. I called the guys who sold me the needle bearing kit, they are trying to get me just the sleave.
    I feel a little bad because I pushed you on that needle bearing kit without knowing what kind of rear shock you have, and unfortunately Cane Creek DB Airs have issues:
    -Cane Creek DB Inline is compatible with the RWC needle bearing kit
    -Cane Creek DB Air requires reaming to increase bore size to 15mm to accept the needle bearing

That said, a shop that knows Cane Creek suspension should also know the random sizing issues related to shock hardware.

Do you know which shock you have?
    See the bushing size issues here on MTBR: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...re-927180.html

If you have the DB Air then this unfortunately will turn into an even bigger project, as the eyelet needs to be reamed or you need to go back to a stock bushing (no more needle bearing), or you can cut your losses now and sell the DB Air and buy a Monarch RC3 (standard bushing size, can use needle bearings). Real World Cycling can do the service to ream out the DB Air shock eyelet, but it means more downtime.

If you have the DB inline, then I'm hoping your shop broke the axle (inner ring) and not the outer bearing race (outer cup holding the needles in place) ... the kit normally comes with 3 axles, marked (-, +, ++). The installer is supposed to use the largest axle that fits without a gross amount of installation force. RWC does sell replacement inner axles and they are quite inexpensive.

Here are the RWC needle bearing instructions and also a photo showing all the parts.
    https://www.enduroforkseals.com/reso...ING-TOOLS.html

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    And people wonder why LBS's are going out of business......
    Yup, they think they’re saving money by not fixing the problem. Happens every time . Bike shops change hands or go out of business and a new one pops up and the cycle(pardon the pun) continues. Most often the owners never admit the wrong , they just get stingier because they’re losing money. Bending over picking up dimes while losing dollars. Everyone should get a deal. Have to recognize your customer and what he’s worth. If he’s the young ripper/leader of the pack he gets the best deal because he’ll refer the most business. Guy off the street gets a little deal but it’s a deal. Chances are he walks around the block and by that time he realizes the shop was cool and gave a new customer a deal, so he goes right back and buys a t shirt or something . Surprising how few owners actually get it. It’s all building a business. Helps if they know what to stock and buy it early at the bike show bookings. Shop owner them gets a booking discount but still marks up 100% from normal wholesale and then gives the customer a deal and the owner is still getting his normal 100% mark up because he was smart and stocked the right product at the reduced pre booking bike show deal. Good owners recognize both the customer and anticipate what will sell. Sadly they’re in the minority

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I feel a little bad because I pushed you on that needle bearing kit without knowing what kind of rear shock you have, and unfortunately Cane Creek DB Airs have issues:
    -Cane Creek DB Inline is compatible with the RWC needle bearing kit
    -Cane Creek DB Air requires reaming to increase bore size to 15mm to accept the needle bearing

That said, a shop that knows Cane Creek suspension should also know the random sizing issues related to shock hardware.

Do you know which shock you have?
    See the bushing size issues here on MTBR: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...re-927180.html

If you have the DB Air then this unfortunately will turn into an even bigger project, as the eyelet needs to be reamed or you need to go back to a stock bushing, or you can cut your losses now and sell the DB Air and buy a Monarch RC3. Real World Cycling can do the service to ream out the shock eyelet, but it means more downtime.

If you have the DB inline, then I'm hoping your shop broke the axle (inner ring) and not the outer bearing race (outer cup holding the needles in place) ... the kit normally comes with 3 axles, marked (-, +, ++). The installer is supposed to use the largest axle that fits without a gross amount of installation force. RWC does sell replacement inner axles and they are quite inexpensive.

Here are the RWC needle bearing instructions and also a photo showing all the parts.
    https://www.enduroforkseals.com/reso...ING-TOOLS.html

yes i have the cane creek double barrell air. I am just going to leave it as it, and try and get a refund. No worries.
    This also brings me to another rant, about how nothing seems to be compatible with anything. Anyway thank for your help.

This also brings me to another rant, about how nothing seems to be compatible with anything.
    If I'm not mistaken, this thread appears to have come full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, this thread appears to have come full circle.
    But it would've done so much more smoothly if on needle bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.