Thomson Elite Dropper service? Worth it or not or just get a new dropper...

I have a Thomson dropper post that badly needs service, anyone else have one that they've sent in for warranty service? Worth it or not in terms of longevity of service without other issues arising within a few months of riding?

Currently it has had problems not rising up all the way without me having to pull the seat the rest of the way up and also losing seat height when I sit on the saddle.

I had one with this same problem and never sent it back in, sold the bike before I could.

Really, your options are sell it cheap, get it serviced and sell it for more, or keep it. I forget how much they were going to charge me for servicing it.

I feel like there are better posts out there these days that don't require as much service. The cable always wore out, and stretched on mine and I never loved the trigger.

I now have a Brand X Ascend and it has worked flawlessly all summer. For the price, that's pretty damn good.

I've also heard very good things about the Bike Yoke.

Thanks for the input, I think Thomson quoted me at something like $166 for service. Just don't know if it's worth it in the long run.

Yeah, you could get a Brand X for that price.

Personally, I'd get a different post. This seems to happen to a lot of Thomsons and having to pay that much for a rebuild and send it back every time is hassle. Mine started doing this in about one season which is BS.

I just bought the Crankbrothers Highline as a replacement to my Bontrager Drop Line. I initially looked into just servicing it and replacing the broken parts, but it was only another ~$75-$100 for the new dropper. I'm happy I went with the new dropper.

I have had good luck with the KS posts and they start under $200?

(if you are walking away from the thopmson post let me know. I would like to take a crack at making it work)

1000+ Miles in 100 rides or so and my Bike Yoke Revive has been flawless. Expensive, but it works without fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I now have a Brand X Ascend and it has worked flawlessly all summer. For the price, that's pretty damn good.
    Two full seasons on mine now, zero issues. The remote could be better, but no complaints considering the price. I kinda want it to break so I have an excuse to get the 150 mm version they offer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Two full seasons on mine now, zero issues. The remote could be better, but no complaints considering the price. I kinda want it to break so I have an excuse to get the 150 mm version they offer now.
    Mine is the 150mm with internal routing. Like it so far. The screw into the trigger can be finicky but even when it comes out the thing still works.

I sent one back under warranty with the same problem, I got back a brand new post, not a rebuilt one. It’s still working after a couple years but it’s on a backup bike that I don’t use often anymore, so not really a longevity test since getting it back. I bought my original one from an overseas supplier, Thomsen USA made me send it back to who I bought it from back there so a bit of a pain shipping it back overseas but had it back in two weeks.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    [potential thread drift]
    I've been eyeing the Thompson as its one of a few that come in a 27.2 and are cable actuated (breathing some fresh air into my beloved race ss hard tail). Based on this thread I think I'll throw it off the list, that's a lot of $$$ for service not to mention downtime. Anyone have a favorite 27.2 brand? Doesn't look like Brand-X or Bike Yoke carry one. PNW Components? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    [potential thread drift]
    I've been eyeing the Thompson as its one of a few that come in a 27.2 and are cable actuated (breathing some fresh air into my beloved race ss hard tail). Based on this thread I think I'll throw it off the list, that's a lot of $$$ for service not to mention downtime. Anyone have a favorite 27.2 brand? Doesn't look like Brand-X or Bike Yoke carry one. PNW Components? thanks
    yeah, mine came from one of the demo bikes Evil had at the shop that I bought so I guess it was buyer beware, even my mech said the Thomsons are a PITA to service without sending it back for warranty. After reading others' experience with Thomson I think I might switch it out and take mntlion up on his offer.

I guess all seatposts have their issues, but it's just a matter of how much dicking around with it does someone want to do.

3rd season ending on my Reverb w/o any issues. But then again I don't lower it that much or that often. I learned to ride back when droppers were not yet invented (Hite-rite doesn't count) so I just learned to ride down on the same height as up and around.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    3rd season ending on my Reverb w/o any issues. But then again I don't lower it that much or that often. I learned to ride back when droppers were not yet invented (Hite-rite doesn't count) so I just learned to ride down on the same height as up and around.
    your doing it rong

You speled rong, rong

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    [potential thread drift]

KS makes a 27.2. both internal and external routing avail.

I learned to ski on straight skis with rear entry boots, therefore I still do.

But, do you lower your seat before skiing down the hill?

I had a 27.2 Thomson with the same issue. Sent it back for service under warranty. Worked great for a bit, then failed again. Sent it back again under warranty and requested a new post. Thomson agreed, sent me a new, updated post, and it has been great for the last 2000 miles.

Don't know if I'd buy another Thomson or get it serviced outside the warranty period. There are other 27.2 options out there, as already mentioned. The KS Lev is nice, and pretty easy to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    I had a 27.2 Thomson with the same issue. Sent it back for service under warranty. Worked great for a bit, then failed again. Sent it back again under warranty and requested a new post. Thomson agreed, sent me a new, updated post, and it has been great for the last 2000 miles.

Don't know if I'd buy another Thomson or get it serviced outside the warranty period. There are other 27.2 options out there, as already mentioned. The KS Lev is nice, and pretty easy to maintain.
    Well, that's pretty much sealed the deal for me. I can't quite justify sending a dropper post in for service that is about 50% of the MSRP for a new one, especially after you said that it failed again after service. Thomson should just stick to making regular seatposts, stems and other components.

I've had one since 2014, had to send it off twice, about 2 year interval with very frequent use in muddy and wet conditions. They are super quick on turnaround and definitely worth a service. Recently upgraded to a longer dropper of a different brand based on a deal I found but was really, really happy with the Thomson for those 4 years. I hope this one is as reliable as the Thomson was.

Something to consider is over time you are wearing components like the stanchion on a very small level so after the first rebuild the seals won't be as tight, more debris and moisture will get in and so it probably won't last as long as the when it was new.

Any dropper is going to require service, interval depends on your use, crashes, etc. A crash can cause it to rotate against the seals or put unnecessary extra side loads on the seals and damage them which really shortens the life (of any dropper). If you think you're going to buy a dropper and ride all the time and you won't need a service you are sorely mistaken. Send it off in the off season, get it done and don't worry about it during the peak riding season. Instead of waiting for it to fail on you and having to be without.

I get it...trust me, I do regular service on most of my gear. I'm just thinking about the pricepoint of different dropper posts and service costs, it just doesn't pan out for me to have a crappy dropper that needs service at 50% of MSRP, I'll most likely get a different dropper that's easier to maintain than sending it back to the manufacturer for service. Kind of reminds me of Cannondale's pogosticks.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    how are people feeling about PNW components posts? Great price point, a little heavier than the top end posts but I haven't seen a lot of negative chatter regarding serviceability.