Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    ^^^ What is your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by isisis View Post
    WTF !! I grew up hunting. I stopped many years ago, but have thinking of getting back into it with some boar hunting.

How in the hell do you shoot an animal like a giraffe (or an elephant, rhino, leopard, lion? Where is the sport ?
    What thrill are you getting ? I've been to Africa, and you can see a giraffe from hundreds of yards away. There's just not a whole lot of "hunting" going on. At the very least, I'm assuming the meat is given to local communities.

Even if the meat is given to the local communities, it's about the optics :

"Former Idaho Fish and Game Commissioner Fred Trevey was among those who were upset by Fischer’s conduct and urged him to resign.
    In an email to Fischer obtained by The Idaho Statesman through a public record request, Trevey cited a passage in a hunting manual that’s endorsed by the state’s fish and game department. It says that hunters should “refrain from taking photographs of the kill and from vividly describing the kill within earshot of non-hunters.”
    “I have a difficult time understanding how a person privileged to be an Idaho Fish and Game commissioner can view such an action as sportsmanlike and an example to others,” Trevey told Fischer."

interesting article about a bipedal bear that was shot in north jersey

https://nypost.com/2016/10/17/infamo...d-bear-pedals/

My opinion is no. We shouldn't kill bears. Bears have been hunted since prehistoric times for their meat and fur. In modern times they have been favored by big game hunters due to their size and ferocity. Bear hunting has a vast history throughout Europe and North America, and hunting practices have varied based on location and type of bear. The IUCN lists six bear species as vulnerable or endangered, and even "least concern" species such as the brown bear are at risk of extirpation in certain countries. Poaching and illegal international trade of threatened populations continue. So I think you are a terrible hunter if you shot bears. There are plenty of other animals that aren't at risk so you ca freely hunt on them.
    Last edited by gregory007; 02-22-2020 at 12:55 PM.

I am all for letting bears hunt.
    watch out for snakes

If you want to hunt a bear, do it the old fashioned way. With a knife.

BTW Trump Jr. drew a permit to hunt Griz in AK. It would make for great TV. Trump VS Bear.

The son of US president Donald Trump was one of three people who applied for 27 spots for non-resident hunters targeting grizzlies in a designated region of north-western Alaska’s Seward Peninsula, said Eddie Grasser, the wildlife conservation director for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

The state conducts periodic drawings for permits to hunt bears, caribou, moose and other animals in various regions. Winners are chosen by a lottery, and there are typically many more applications than hunting tags awarded.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

That is a crime against nature.

If you're going to eat it go ahead and shoot it, if you're not going to eat it and it's not going to eat you leave it alone. I could be wrong...

I hunt bears for 2 reasons. They are delicious and the biologists that study wildlife in my region say they are over populated. These are black bears btw.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    If you want to hunt a bear, do it the old fashioned way. With a knife.
    I would add a spear with an obsidian head or an obsidian knife to the palette of weapons to take down an adult bear, but a traditional bow with primitive arrows would be OK too.

I'm gonna go really old school and start a forest fire near a cliff.

Trophy hunting sucks
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Trophy hunting sucks
    Unless you have a small penis. Then it allows you to compensate.

Bear Hunting- Pro or Anti?

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    I would add a spear with an obsidian head or an obsidian knife to the palette of weapons to take down an adult bear, but a traditional bow with primitive arrows would be OK too.
    That would be like only using wood skis with leather straps for bindings, full Birkebeiner on a pow day
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

When there are to many Bears ,close to humans they get hunted.. when there are to many Humans near Bears they get hunted. Seems unfair to the bears.. its a lose lose situation.

fyi/minor derail/.. common misconception> playing dead only works with a Grizzly attack .. Black bears will eat you if you try that. You need to intimidate and fight back if necessary , in a Black bear attack.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Just want to throw in my 2cents on this derail. If you can play dead when a grizzly bear is tearing mouthfuls of your flesh off your body and crushing your head in its mouth, you won’t have to play at it for long....play will become reality.

Save the role playing games for the bedroom, bears don’t understand that you are playing.

fyi/minor derail/.. common misconception> playing dead only works with a Grizzly attack .. Black bears will eat you if you try that. You need to intimidate and fight back if necessary , in a Black bear attack.[/QUOTE]
    Being grown-up sucks!

Anti.

It's still early, but there are indications that that griz ban has resulted in increased griz near folks (rural mostly still), and there has been a noted decline of black bears where the griz are increasing. And the last 3yrs worth of cubs seem to be displaying different considerations of human interaction than the previous generations.
    Habitat is still the biggest driver of griz populations here, with or without hunting. Same with the big cats. Reduced hunting pressures and greater encroachment on habitat is leading our CO's being quite a bit more busy, especially in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Sasquatch Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory007 View Post
    That is a crime against nature.
    Paging gregory to the days afield thread......

For population control only and allow dogs so that bears fear dogs and stay away from residential areas
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Black bear generally fear dogs. Grizzlies, not so much.
    There's a lot of talk about opening up grizzlies to some hunting around MT, but the places that are really infested with them won't allow hunting anway (National Parks), or won't allow white people to hunt (tribal land), so I don't see how it would do any good. Also, much of these areas are still pretty rural so who knows what to do, really. Sure, Kalispell and Bozeman are smack in the middle of griz territory, and so are Whitefish and Big Sky, but has it really become a problem? I think moose are still the bigger danger, lol.
    As for AK, there is no shortage of brown bears and the hunting is very heavily regulated.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....ar-pedals/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums