Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ZERMATT

ZERMATT

As it is about to get out of control and mess up the Euro BBI Thread I think we should get a proper Zermatt thread.

Post away with questions, share the stoke and make this the internets best source of Zermatt stuff.

The question that got me started here was

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Do I need a guide to skin up the briethorn from the cable car? (Serious question. It looks straight forward but it is on a glacier and I don't know how all this euro open access no rope line stuff works.)
    You mean if you are legally obliged to go with a guide? - No. Just go...

You mean if you should hire a guide? - what is your experience on glacier travel? Do you plan going alone? With a partner? I will ask a local friend on her opinion if it is common to rope up in the late season for Breithorn (you mean Breithorn, right?)

All insightful. I have a good amount of Backcountry ski and mountain travel experience. Limited glacier travel except for fairly benign snowfields/glaciers that are slow moving and have minimal cracks. Curious if the Breithorn from the tram falls in that camp or not.

Mostly wondering if touring up the Breithorn is a common/easy thing and if I risk a beat down from the local Swiss guide services.

This is all speculation driven by excited dreaming of this trip, I'm sure once I get there it will become clear what I should or shouldn't do.

If I wanted a guide, what is a good company?

It is indeed a common / easy thing to go up there.

If you decide for a guide nonetheless ask j-peak.ch but maybe also ask for a different objective as there might be something nicer to do once you pay a guide.

I highly recommend a guide in Zermatt, not much for safety, but the skiable terrain between Zermatt-Cervinia and Valtournanche is really huge and if you get a guide on your second day he will show you a lot of staff that is really worth the money.. if you would have a month to spend there, than I would say, just have fun, make friends and go out and explore... but this is not the case

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    I highly recommend a guide in Zermatt...if you would have a month to spend there..
    Ho much do you think it might cost for a single person to stay there for a full month, assuming 5 days / week? Just a rough guess. Thanks!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Any recommendations on Lodging? It seems like there are a lot of very expensive places to stay and few moderately priced places. I'm leaning toward staying in the Village vs. on the Mountain but if someone says staying 1/2 way up is amazing and don't miss it, I could be convinced.

I've only blown through Zermatt on the day we did Alagna->Lyskamm->Gorner Glacier->Kleine Matterhorn->Cervinia->Big traverse->Champoluc->Gressoney->Alagna.

It's an expensive place.

If you travel light, you can stay in Cervinia and gamble on the weather.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I know there are more wallet friendly ski destinations. However, like I said in the last thread my Dad spent a lot of time there in the 70s and I want to see and experience many of the places that he told me about as a kid. So visiting is a little more on the personal spectrum for me.

I've only day tripped to zermatt, 2hr drive. Once with some mags in early dec or late nov (?) had an awesome pow day with no crowds. Lapped the furggsattel chair all day long. Once again with mag teleal, skied cervinia in knee deep.  Since then it's been an early season target coz of the altitude and early open. Went with my neighbor once on a whim, happened to catch an awesome knee deep pow day with nobody there in the schwarzsee(?) area. Don't know it too well, it's hudge. The mushroom soup is awesome too.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Ho much do you think it might cost for a single person to stay there for a full month, assuming 5 days / week? Just a rough guess. Thanks!
    You could stay in Täsch and take the train up every morning. $1,500 for a simple apartment, then a season pass, food and beer. If you want to ride lifts, it can be a bit expensive. Maybe $1,500 for a season pass.
    So, $3,000 excluding airfare, food and entertainment. Pretty sure the season pass covers buses and train travel within the resort area. Nice bonus.

Thanks for the responses. Zermatt seems doable, but pricey considering that one could likely double the pleasure by splitting time at one or two other ski areas.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The day we did the Breithorn we were not roped, nor any any of the 50+ people also doing it. It is like skiing the Valle Blanche, no need for a rope if you dont fall in a crevasse.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

There is a hotel with a hostel style dormitory across the street from the train station. Affordable but not fancy.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

If anybody plans to stay more than a few days in Zermatt, than I would recommend to stay in Cervinia (it's the same ski area), this is why and there's no if or but, it is simply so:
    - Zermatt is a must see destination, but it does not have the feel it had in the 70s, now it the biggest tourist trap in Switzerland
    - The food and drinks in Cervinia are much better ( unless you love frozen Rosty or fondue made from a Box)
    - Less tourists and more locals
    - Cervinia gets more snow and it is always nice to be snowbound once in a while
    the only downside is that Cervinia itself is not the prettiest village in the Alps.

Agreed no rope needed for Breithorn. A whippet is nice for the fairly steep and exposed skinning (often icy). Certainly bring ski pons.

We continued around the backside and descended the Schwarztor. It's often compared to the vallee blanche, but is a bit steeper, tighter, more crevassed, and somewhat less traveled. Still loads of tracks in here, which may or may not be good to follow. I carried a crevasse rescue kit and felt fine, but can understand most folks wanting to guide this.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Zermatt seems doable, but pricey considering that one could likely double the pleasure by splitting time at one or two other ski areas.
    CH is just expensive compared to other places in the Alps and Zermatt is on the pricier side of CH. Bad combo.
    I am shocked at the lift prices. Much cheaper to ride lifts in other, equally beautiful areas. Vendul trashing the food would break the deal for me. You shouldn't have to struggle to find great food in Yer-up.
    That said, family has gone (and gone back) because the terrain is fantastic, and the town is supposed to be special. No cars is a winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Much cheaper to ride lifts in other, equally beautiful areas.
    I don't really think so if you consider the size, quality and a little extra for being in Switzerland I have to say unfortunately the price seems reasonable in comparison to other resorts at least to me. But it is indeed very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I don't really think so if you consider the size, quality and a little extra for being in Switzerland I have to say unfortunately the price seems reasonable in comparison to other resorts at least to me. But it is indeed very expensive.
    Fair enough. A bargain compared to Vail or Jackson Hole.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Fair enough. A bargain compared to Vail or Jackson Hole.
    What a world, where skiing in Switzerland is cheaper than Colorado.

Corporate skiing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    If anybody plans to stay more than a few days in Zermatt, than I would recommend to stay in Cervinia (it's the same ski area)...
    When I was in Zermatt, I ended up almost exclusively in Cervinia. The sun hit Cervinia early and often...while the Swiss side was crunchy and hard, the Italian side was cream cheese. This was in mid-December.

As everyone else said: I spent a lot of $$$$ in Zermatt...but I'm an alkie, so YMMV.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

list 'em up: best places to stay, best eats and drinks, best lifts, notable runs, guides, art, churches, buildings, people.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    list 'em up: best places to stay, best eats and drinks, best lifts, notable runs, guides, art, churches, buildings, people.
    We had a good tine at Harry's ski bar; we ran into a group of Aussies...and it was on!

Enjoyed Brown Cow...too much. Not sure how we made it home. Food was good too.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Papperla Pub is nice an livley for apres!

Bolero (Apartments / Taxi) is some friends of mine (so I recommend without comparison) - please be nice to them.

Love Zermatt. Everyone should do it once! Adding another vote for the Schwartztor. Wouldn’t bother with the Breithorn. Here’s the top section - pretty straightforward descent but lots of crevasses

And I think it needs good snow depths to get out the bottom? This is the end of the glacier

Can’t beat the scenery...

And go for lunch at chalet Etoile on the Cervinia side - my favourite restaurant in the alps