Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buying or building an office "shed"?

We are looking to put in an office shed, will have electric and AC and electric heat but no plumbing. Bathroom in the house is about 80 ft away. Mainly looking at buying a pre-fab: https://precastbuildings.com or more likely https://www.backyardunlimited.com/

We'd like to have two work spaces in it. Currently have an unused concrete pad that is 40x12, so thinking of something around 20x12 exterior that would make two 11x9'6" offices. I keep looking at the prices and thinking that my Dad and I could build something better for far less, but the wife is skeptical. She likes this one, but those doors wouldn't work with two separate offices. I was thinking of big windows in the front and doors on either side: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imager.php?f=1&i=3eff8c1661b3ca4ee3e2b7943b0f6eaf_1505854224.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	916.9 KB 
ID:	250133

Anyone put in a finished shed or bought pre-fab? Any lessons learned? Should we conceal plumbing and finish the install after permitting?

What makes you think you can get it permitted? Where I live, on a R1 lot, only "continuously heated living space" is allowed. You may want to consider that "heated storage" until you are signed off".

How to you "conceal plumbing" when you would need to trench waste and water from the house under the concrete slab?

Existing slabs can be hard to reuse as you probably don't know how deep, if there is rebar, was their compaction?

It sounds like a perfectly good idea but I'd encourage you to figure out the zoning/building permitting rules before you get going.

Figure out what sq ft you can build without a permit. I wouldn't mess with plumbing.

That slab is big enough to put a trailer on. Either a camper trailer or RV that you convert to an office ought to work, no? I've seen quite a few (trailers) over the years that have two doors, one on either end. It would also solve electrical and plumbing issues and should get around most of the permitting issues.

Looking at the shed you posted. Do you have porcupines? Don't use T-11. They love that shit.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I used these guys for a pre-cut kit: https://jamaicacottageshop.com/

They were easy to deal with and great quality. Very professional and they deliver. You might want something bigger, but they come in all sizes. This is 8'x12'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9025.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	250146

Name:	IMG_9140.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	250148
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

So, how much did that kit cost? How much did delivery add to the price?

^^So easy a dog can build it.

Kit was maybe $3400 and delivery was free. Not sure if it's only free within Vermont, tho. The site has pricing, etc. Comes in a bundle stacked as you need it, on a palate. Even the roof parts were all precut.

Name:	IMG_9014.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	250151

I think a lot of people turn these into little rental units or offices.

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I built a 12x16 workshop (with 6x10 and 8x16 sheds on each side) with an office space loft about three years ago. I overbuilt it as I didn't know what I was doing per se and just figured I'd throw some more wood at it for insurance. I was able to do 98% of it solo, and took me a little over a month working nights and weekends on it.

Prior to building out for side business needs, I was looking at about 7500 bucks with full foundation, board and batten exterior, 3x window/ 1x door package, insulated/60 amp electric service, and full t&g pine interior with hardwood floors. You could knock 2500 or so off that if you were a bit more efficient and crafty than I was. I just went to the hardware store every morning and bought the stuff I'd need that day.

I got plans from here (countryplans.com), which is super hokey but they have an active forum and John Rabbe will respond to any questions you have, which is pretty cool for 100 bucks or so. I bought the Whole Enchilada plan set, which comes with a 10x14, 12x16, and 14x24 plan sets plus a greenhouse I think. Both shed and normal roof plans also. I bid it out locally (Victor ID so competing with a roaring housing market in Jackson) and the lowest bid I got was 32.5k for everything I wanted. The pre built stuff is shit, and not worth it IMO, unless you want to work in an office shed that will fall apart every 5 years. Saving 25k to do it myself in exchange for a month of my free time was a sweet deal.

Those Jamaica guys look pretty sweet and I would go that route and save the headaches of trying to learn the hard parts of framing and roofing and just plug and play if I were to do it again. You'll need to do a couple things extra if you want a true dry building like an office, but they would be a good start.

Im guessing this isn't cheap, but a detached timber frame office would be cool. http://sanjuantimber.com/tiny-timber-frame/

Couple notes: pay attention to your local codes. In my county, I'm allowed to call it a shed, even if I had full water and sewer, as long as it doesn't have an oven. The result was I could put it 12 feet off the property line vs. 40 ft. Some places in town you can go right up to the lot line. I'd try and do my homework without talking to planning if you are trying to go right up to the line.

Your pad is pretty large, you might not have a choice to go to planning if you build a big enough place. Mine is technically a 200 sq ft space in the eyes of the county, but I was able to build the extra shed spaces for and extra 188 sq ft for metalworking and yard stuff attached to the building as long as they didn't connect via interior doors.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Im guessing this isn't cheap, but a detached timber frame office would be cool. http://sanjuantimber.com/tiny-timber-frame/
    Super cool and super $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    If Hugh's mom's house is anywhere near the Amish, those dudes can make that stuff for a very fair price compared to the English. You just have to pay them cash.

Yeah. They do very nice joinery, but not practical for the OP. A middle of the road approach vs full DIY or full kit are 'Tuff Shed' type structures. There are all kinds of outfits around our area and layouts. Some with moderate customizing. Get one delivered that works for you and then add electrical and finishes.

Regarding the initial image, by losing the sidelites on the double door and going to two singles in the same opening, you could run a wall down the middle for separation. Alternatively, have one door into an 'alcove' with separate interior doors into each office.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Buying or building an office "shed"?

I just came to say that 2 people in a small building like that, talking on the phone at the same time, or not, sucks for both people.
    You’re working on a project that’s really important, and 5 feet away somebody’s blabbing loudly on a conference call because half people’s cell phone service sucks or whatever.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

See if you can find a used jobsite office trailer and park it on the slab.

Tuff Shed has some examples on their blog/website.

OP, you say you don't need plumbing, and then ask about concealing plumbing. I don't follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If Hugh's mom's house is anywhere near the Amish, those dudes can make that stuff for a very fair price compared to the English. You just have to pay them cash.
    The Amish don't build timber frames with real joinery, at least that I have ever seen. But yeah, they can slam together some post and beam shit like nobody's business.

The problem with the cheaper prefab shed things is that a lot of them have super janky shit, like 2x3s on the flat for walls and the most ghetto roof trusses imaginable. Fine for a lawn mower or a few dead hookers but not really capable of being built out into an insulated office.

The problem with the cheaper prefab shed things is that a lot of them have super janky shit, like 2x3s on the flat for walls and the most ghetto roof trusses imaginable. Fine for a lawn mower or a few dead hookers but not really capable of being built out into an insulated office.
    Good points, but maybe can be upgraded depending on source and need depending on location for thermal, snow loading and other requirements.

It also might be worth looking into requirements for the home office tax deduction.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Why not throw down on a used RV to keep out back and use that as the office? Just need a 30 amp outlet to plug in to, maybe propane heat too? Then take it on vacation once in awhile. Would also have RV plumbing options.. Adding a dump cap to your existing plumbing to empty the shitter is probably affordable compared to an actual bathroom and that plumbing.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    That picture looks like Big Daddy smoking the peace pipe with a few buddies.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Every tough shed I've seen is perfectly fine as a shed, but would be a major disappointment if I needed to use it for anything else.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I just came to say that 2 people in a small building like that, talking on the phone at the same time, or not, sucks for both people.
    You’re working on a project that’s really important, and 5 feet away somebody’s blabbing loudly on a conference call because half people’s cell phone service sucks or whatever.
    Agree with this, in a space that small I would look at sound dampening tiles and white noise machine. I’ve been in a few call centers where people are right on top of each other but they did the prepped the space right and it’s very quiet

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What makes you think you can get it permitted? Where I live, on a R1 lot, only "continuously heated living space" is allowed. You may want to consider that "heated storage" until you are signed off".

How to you "conceal plumbing" when you would need to trench waste and water from the house under the concrete slab?

Existing slabs can be hard to reuse as you probably don't know how deep, if there is rebar, was their compaction?

It sounds like a perfectly good idea but I'd encourage you to figure out the zoning/building permitting rules before you get going.
    ^^^ all of this.

At 240 sq ft what you're talking about is essentially a small garage. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors, you're going to have to pull permits and comply with code. Most jurisdictions have a "kit" you can download or pick up in person that will outline what's required. (or course, if you are in the middle of nowhere, disregard and have at 'er)

As for the slab, even if there is rebar in it, what's your soil like? Here in the pnw a small building that doesn't sit on proper footings will be out of square in a year or two (as in the door won't open without putting your shoulder to it).

I'd skip the plumbing. Lots of extra cost and work for little value.

Also this.

And if you get snow, make sure to take that load into account.

Are all of you that mention plumbing reading a different OP than I am? He said he doesn't want to put in plumbing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've been reading about this for a while, haven't started yet because of zoning BS.

There's hours of info on youtube. The general consensus seems to be the pre-fab's are usually sub par quality and may not fit right right anyway, meaning customizing on the fly for extra $. If you wanted some fancy design features then having precuts and plans might help some, but for a rectangle you're way ahead on $ to go to a lumber yard and just get raw materials.

Now whether you (or I) have the skills or not is another question. I've been pondering the merits of hiring a handyman type that bills at about $30p/h for a couple days to help me get the frame up, then finishing it myself.

Might need to rent a nice saw depending on what you have. A flat pitched shed roof appears to me to eliminate some complexities, and I like the way they look anyway.

Not to be derogatory, but the raised on piers structure above looks like inviting a skunk to move in underneath. I'd imagine that could be a permanent problem with residual smell even if you got them to move out. I'd build a skirt around it down into the ground a few inches, and just plan on replacing it every few years.