Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Are all of you that mention plumbing reading a different OP than I am? He said he doesn't want to put in plumbing.
    He said both.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    We are looking to put in an office shed, will have electric and AC and electric heat but no plumbing. Bathroom in the house is about 80 ft away.

Should we conceal plumbing and finish the install after permitting?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    He said both.
    ha, I guess it was I who was reading a different OP!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Neufox is still at the spitballing stage.

Rideski's got it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Rideski's got it figured out.
    The skunk part? We have a raised garden shed. A woodchuck lives under it. He keeps the skunk out.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Permitting is no problem, my brother is in charge of all the inspectors in another local city, he reviewed my town and county’s zoning refs, and said we are good to go. Only thing he said is don’t plumb it or I probably can’t put in a guest house later on. I’m zoned rural estate so it’s not restrictive at all. I can put up a 100x100 barn or something ridiculous if I want. I just don’t want to plumb it then go to build a guest house in 3 years and have them determine I already have one (the shed) and have to make the plumbing inoperable before I can build it. I could definitely go no permit, neither of my neighbors give a shit and my area has all sorts of crazy unpermited buildings around. One property we looked at had 3 homes, all rented out, all over 1200 sq ft, and one of them was permitted in 1950 as a 2 bed 1 bath 1000 sq ft.

As far as the trailer or RV, I’d be good with that, the wife not so much. Something about asthetics and eyesores or something, I was only partially listening. But the message was clear. She also doesn’t think I can make it look good if I build it myself. Go figure.

Noise issue is a concern, but I was thinking a floor to ceiling insulated wall would be sufficient to block out almost all noise. Probably two air conditioners too because we like different temps.

I did kick around the idea of doing ICF, mainly because I’m infatuated with that building technique, but I think that is overkill. Even if I justify it to say its practice for the guest house.

This is who I used for my barn. They do just about anything you want. It's a pole structure kit so the whole thing shows up on a semi ready to go. My barn is 10 years old now and I couldn't be happier with it. There is nothing I would change about it.

https://www.barnpros.com/default.asp...BoCHxIQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    The Amish don't build timber frames with real joinery, at least that I have ever seen. But yeah, they can slam together some post and beam shit like nobody's business.

The problem with the cheaper prefab shed things is that a lot of them have super janky shit, like 2x3s on the flat for walls and the most ghetto roof trusses imaginable. Fine for a lawn mower or a few dead hookers but not really capable of being built out into an insulated office.
    Ya had me till the dead hooker comment. You need air tight, and climate controlled for that... or so I've heard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0683.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	250197

I looked at the prefabs as well as shipping containers.

Ended up having a contractor build us what we wanted, it’s 400 sqft. Has my office, a bedroom, tv area for my kids video games, washer and dryer as well.

After all was done we had this built cheaper than a prefab.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Ended up having a contractor build us what we wanted, it’s 400 sqft. Has my office, a bedroom, tv area for my kids video games, washer and dryer as well.

Friends built a similar thing as part of a new build. The office is also a guest house, so maybe a little bigger, with small hotel style kitchen. If I went as far as to build another building, I'd design it in some way so guests could sleep out there. A toilet room at minimum.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I patented the gfi power and lighting system for Tuff Shed. The crooks still owe me $18k.

I have a few sets left when you get that far.

A buddy of mine got his from studio-shed.com.

He's very happy w kit, material quality and how it came out.

That’s almost exactly what we are looking for.

The backyard unlimited link is a local Amish guy. Not cheap but his builds look like decent quality, haven’t seen them in person yet.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Friends built a similar thing as part of a new build. The office is also a guest house, so maybe a little bigger, with small hotel style kitchen. If I went as far as to build another building, I'd design it in some way so guests could sleep out there. A toilet room at minimum.
    I figure having to walk to the toilet and shower is a good way to ensure they don’t stay too long! Won’t call this a guest house but if a few people come over and drink too much it adds two private rooms they can crash in.

What's the ballpark cost for building that shed? Looks nice

With plumbing and prewired to add a bathroom later, deck, foundation, and concrete patio, about $50k

Fox, you landed in like Todd Valley like you were hoping, right?

Shouldn't have any issues with permits in that area. Though my folks have had the inspector out to their place outside of Colfax (zoned rural/ag, 5 acres).

Re: the RV idea... a used Airstream you can fix up might mollify the spouse on the aesthetics of using an RV for this purpose?

(Come down to TGR at the Crest and drink beers next week.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Fox, you landed in like Todd Valley like you were hoping, right?

Shouldn't have any issues with permits in that area. Though my folks have had the inspector out to their place outside of Colfax (zoned rural/ag, 5 acres).

Re: the RV idea... a used Airstream you can fix up might mollify the spouse on the aesthetics of using an RV for this purpose?

(Come down to TGR at the Crest and drink beers next week.)
    Auburn. Todd Valley was a little far out after looking around.

The Crest in Sacramento? What day, looked on their website and didn't see any TGR films. If I can make it, I'm in. Currently in London then headed to the EC at some point for a funeral. Hectic schedule.

Nevermind, search jong. I'll see you guys on the 18th, I hope.

What about one of those pimped our shipping containers? Do it right with a small patio and the wife could be happy too...I personally wouldn’t do it but could be another option.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The shipping container thing never made much sense to me. Like sure, it's a weatherproof box, but it's uninsulated with a flat roof. Building a weatherproof box out of stick lumber is a pretty straightforward part of the project; it's the rest of the stuff that adds time and expense.

Interesting thread. When we bought our house 20 yrs ago, while I had walked it, I din't have any real sense of just how big the damn thing was. 5800 finished and another 700 unfinished so office space never been an issue. That wannabe thing is pretty darn cool though.

Odd thing about our house it was built in 1969, classic 70s suburban ranch look, but with these just massive rooms. really unusual for that timeframe. YMMV
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    The shipping container thing never made much sense to me. Like sure, it's a weatherproof box, but it's uninsulated with a flat roof. Building a weatherproof box out of stick lumber is a pretty straightforward part of the project; it's the rest of the stuff that adds time and expense.
    I think the appeal here is that if you are in e.g. Long Beach or wherever, you can get a shipping container for free or next to free.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I think the appeal here is that if you are in e.g. Long Beach or wherever, you can get a shipping container for free or next to free.
    sure. And "weatherproof box" is much more significant than Craven suggests; that's a pretty solid start for a building.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    sure. And "weatherproof box" is much more significant than Craven suggests; that's a pretty solid start for a building.
    This. Try making a water tight flat roof. Not as easy as you would think. Even most pros suck at that.

I have 2 shipping containers, I put plastic over what ever is in there because the tops like to rust and leak after 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I have 2 shipping containers, I put plastic over what ever is in there because the tops like to rust and leak after 10 years.
    I think for living/office space you'd finish the outside. Maybe put a pitched "roof" over the top and would avoid a bunch of that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app