car rental medium distance

I have a family trip I do now and then, call it 2,000 miles round trip for an even number.

I've rented a car for a it a few times. I've owned a variety of vehicles over the years, but either tend towards bigger vehicles or fast cars, making something with better economy to blast across the plains attractive.

There must be a line in the sand where a number of miles makes more sense to rent versus drive your own. Figuring 2 or 3 occupants, never solo (where solo would clearly be better off flying)

Always subjective things where time spent with family is a positive etc.

Curious what math the maggots have whittled out of their convoluted minds.

Depends on the length of the trip and cost of the rental. I live in MD and drive to either KY, TX, or OK several times per year and stay for 2ish days, so I'm doing 2000-3000 miles in 5-7 days. Car rentals are typically around $200-$300. For that, it's an absolute no brainer. Rent every single time.

The IRS reimburses at $0.54 per mile and that's a pretty good calculation for wear and tear on your vehicle only. Adjust upwards for a European car, downward for a Prius. You're buying gas either way, so don't even figure that into the equation. But assuming 2000 miles, your car rental is theoretically worth it as long as it stays under $1000. Especially if your car is newer - not worth putting the miles on it. If you have an older, higher-mileage vehicle then it might make sense to load up the miles on it and drive it till death, especially if you have the budget for a replacement when it dies. The marginal cost of mileage is lower at that point... there's no real value difference between 2 reliable cars with 180k vs. 182k on the odometer, all other things equal.

Yeah figuring 5-7 days with downtime there. Brings up interesting idea, rent one way there return and rent one way home and return. I imagine higher rates but might cover 4 days of non use.

Gas will be a fir bit less in rental if we go small mid size. I've rented big sedans for 5 people where gas wasn't much different but for just two a little car will be fine.

Any advantageous companies with week rates? I poked around online but they all seemed similar. You go direct or use something like priceline?

On a semi related note--why do people fly to a resort, rent a car at the airport, and leave it parked at the ski area for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Yeah figuring 5-7 days with downtime there. Brings up interesting idea, rent one way there return and rent one way home and return. I imagine higher rates but might cover 4 days of non use.

Any advantageous companies with week rates? I poked around online but they all seemed similar. You go direct or use something like priceline?
    I would expect a longer time round trip to be cheaper than two shorter one way car rentals, but who knows. Worth looking.

I always start my car rental shopping at Costco.com - they're often the cheapest. Rental tip: play with the pickup and drop off times if you have flexibility. Sometimes it's cheaper to keep the car longer if you keep it over a weekend, or keep it long enough to get to 7 full days rather than 6.5 days. Also try for the same exact time of day for pickup and drop off on your reservation. The computer spits out weird (and sometimes cheaper) deals sometimes. Look at all the car classes on Costco - sometimes larger or "specialty" class shows up cheaper.

Finally, once you book the reservation, check back periodically and see if rates have dropped. If so, rebook and cancel the first one. It happens frequently.

Airport locations have higher taxes but usually lower day rates to start with. My experience has been that airport sites end up being the cheapest.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Everything Chupa said is correct. Just note that it's costcotravel.com and that is my preferred car rental portal as well. Almost always cheaper than priceline/kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On a semi related note--why do people fly to a resort, rent a car at the airport, and leave it parked at the ski area for a week?
    Because they can?

My Euro tripping involves a hybrid. Fly in and avoid renting when I'm in a city, then go out to the airport, which usually has cheap public transport to and fro, and rent out there for country drives. No hassle dealing with urban traffic and parking, too.

I've driven out west from the east coast the past four years, to do one to two month trips, so, on paper, it's cheaper, plus, of course, it's so much easier to carry skis and stuff, but, for shorter trips, I may rent. Just grueling to do that drive every year.

Thanks Chup I'll look at the airport area, I thought it was higher.

. No costco membership though.

Doubtful. You generally get raped on one-way rentals.

Public transportation has such a bad reputation in this country that most people will not even consider using it, even if it was readily available at a reasonable cost. Which it isn’t.

My experience has been that airports are generally more expensive. While the base rates can be less the taxes and fees are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    My experience has been that airports are generally more expensive. While the base rates can be less the taxes and fees are ridiculous.
    It's worth comparing, for sure. My local airport is Reno, so there are lots of hotels and lots of rental car availability. Sometimes they get ridiculously cheap -- the best price I've ever gotten on a rental car was something like $6/day.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Well, to get a family of 4 round trip to Vail on a shuttle runs about $300 for the cheapest shuttle. About the same price for a rental w/ gas. Of course, if you have to pay to park that would suck. If you don't and want to not be a captive of the resort then a car is better. It depends on where you are going and what the local transportation options are of course.

Ok well now I feel kinda stupid, turns out to be a whole lot cheaper than I thought. When I first plugged it into Priceline, I got back a rate of $350 for the week in an economy, so I figured it would be worth seeing what other ideas there were.

Now that I plugged in enterprise and hertz, they were at $150 and $170, expedia was like $180. There's an enterprise right by my house, so done deal. Works out to be like 10 cents a mile before gas, no way you could drive your own car for that. Thanks for the ideas though.

What type of car are you driving that it costs $.10/mile not including gas? Your biggest variable expenses will be oil and tires. 30k on a set of $1000 tires is $.033/mile, a $35 oil change every 7k is $.005/mile. That’s $76, a far cry from $200 (assuming your numbers didn’t include tax). It might be worth it for the peace of mind to keep miles off of your car but don’t pretend like it’s saving you money.

I've never concerned myself with it previously, but I took a modest number of $30k and divided by 200,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    Depends on the length of the trip and cost of the rental. I live in MD and drive to either KY, TX, or OK several times per year and stay for 2ish days, so I'm doing 2000-3000 miles in 5-7 days. Car rentals are typically around $200-$300. For that, it's an absolute no brainer. Rent every single time.

The IRS reimburses at $0.54 per mile and that's a pretty good calculation for wear and tear on your vehicle only. Adjust upwards for a European car, downward for a Prius. You're buying gas either way, so don't even figure that into the equation. But assuming 2000 miles, your car rental is theoretically worth it as long as it stays under $1000. Especially if your car is newer - not worth putting the miles on it. If you have an older, higher-mileage vehicle then it might make sense to load up the miles on it and drive it till death, especially if you have the budget for a replacement when it dies. The marginal cost of mileage is lower at that point... there's no real value difference between 2 reliable cars with 180k vs. 182k on the odometer, all other things equal.
    This math is incorrect. First, the reimbursement rate includes gas, it isn't in addition to gas. In other words, the IRS estimates about 50+ cents per mile to be the total cost. Moreover, ignoring the cost of gas for both scenarios also assumes that both cars get the same mileage. If you drive a guzzler, the gas expense for a long trip will be quite different in a rental car. Not to mention the fact that maintenance cost per mile can be very different for different vehicles. Again, a big suv might cost much more to maintain, tires might be $800 and last 40k miles, while tires for an econo shit box might cost half that and last 50% longer. The precise car you own can make a big difference in the math.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    we are doing a big one way down and quicky flying home, p/u at Seattle aeroport drop off at Palm Springs International. the price was nominal for a rental using p/u at aeroport and this allows us a one way without the rapage.
    Wait, wut?

You are flying!?!?!

I've never concerned myself with it previously, but I took a modest number of $30k and divided by 200,000 miles.
    Depreciation is a complex thing which isn’t tied 1:1 to miles. Age plays a bigger role in most cases, it’s the price you pay for the freedom of owning your own vehicle. A 20 year old vehicle with 198,000 miles will be worth the exact same as a 20 year old vehicle with 200,000 miles, all else equal.

I have a pickup that gets about 17 mpg on a good day on the highway. A rental car will easily get about 30-35 mpg if you get an economy sized car. So for me, if gas is like $3.50 pretty much, if the rental is 9 cents a mile or less, it makes sense on gas alone, even if you don't factor in wear and tear.

I did Boise to Seattle round trip last week and scored a rental for $130 for the week, so it was money positive just on gas alone.

there’s still time to back out but so far that’s the plan
    taking one for the team, prepared to be over medicated
    D00d, this is huge for you...!
    This requires some Klar level, HOF worthy TR shit.
    no pressure

countdown to Sunday evening in 3..2..1
    You got this! One small step for man.....

Next up, BBI Euro!

there’s still time to back out but so far that’s the plan
    taking one for the team, prepared to be over medicated
    atta boy!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Ok well now I feel kinda stupid, turns out to be a whole lot cheaper than I thought. When I first plugged it into Priceline, I got back a rate of $350 for the week in an economy, so I figured it would be worth seeing what other ideas there were.

Now that I plugged in enterprise and hertz, they were at $150 and $170, expedia was like $180. There's an enterprise right by my house, so done deal. Works out to be like 10 cents a mile before gas, no way you could drive your own car for that. Thanks for the ideas though.
    Just make sure you're factoring in the total cost of the rental—when I rented from Enterprise on a recent trip to Denver, the quoted price was about half of what I ended up paying. Some of that was convenience (I paid for the tank of fuel because the schedule was a big question mark and I didn't want to worry about it on return), some was an extra-driver fee, but there were also a lot of miscellaneous fees and charges.

prepared to be over medicated
    So... Just like every other day?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy