Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Principles of sports medicine

1) If doing something hurts, stop doing it. Doing it more won't make it go away.
    2)Stop thinking you're still 25 unless you're still 25.
    3) The only real way to know if you need to see a doctor is to see a doctor, unfortunately
    4) Ignore medical advice from any site that wants to sell you something.
    5) If your doctor tells you you have condition X and then walks out the door before you can ask questions Wikipedia is an excellent source of information as is Pubmed (the national library of medicine site).

If I have a problem with say my right hip and at some point my left hip hurts its gotta mean my right hip is now > my left ...which is a good thing
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-08-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

honestly, since i got my partial knee replacement i don't feel anywhere near 52. the last several years prior were brutal, as the bone on bone knee and compensation fucked the rest of my already fucked body. i feel like it gave me back 10 years and a much higher quality of life.

6) rub some dirt on it?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If I have a problem with say my right hip and at some point my left hip hurts its gotta mean my right hip is now > my left ...which is a good thing
    No, it just means the doc put the xray up backwards. (Hard to do with digital xrays these days but not unheard of in the past.)

7) If you think it needs stitches, it definitely needs stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    7) If you think it needs stitches, it definitely needs stitches.
    If you're an ER doc always remember to count the stitches. Patients want to know for some reason. I still remember I got nine in the head when I was 12.

I took a tip in the mouth telemarking so go to ER where buddy sews me up 25 stitches but no scars cuz it was all inside the vermillion line, but he sews it up somehow leaving a tag of skin so I show him later and he sez " dude its like you got a little clitoris in your mouth " so later on he is telling these 2 women in the bar whom I have never met about the clitoris in my mouth

the women were ski locals eventualy became friends

I quit telemarking

the "clitoris" eventualy fell off

same guy^^ was known to have passed out at the sight of blood
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Last time I was in the ER for stitches--sliced my palm with a chisel--I was stitched up by an intern. I had to teach him how to grip a needle holder, how to hold the needle--in the middle, where to place the stitches. Served me right for being dumb enough to clean a glue line pushing the chisel towards my hand.

6) Get a second opinion. my body has been through hell and back so ive seen enough docs to know that if you catch them at the wrong time they will always resort to surgery even if surgery might not be needed.

If you hear about a new, great treatment and you google it and the first page is all commercial sites selling something or trying to get you in for a visit it's probably not a great treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    1) If doing something hurts, stop doing it. Doing it more won't make it go away.
    ... except for flossing.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

If someone explaining to you begin with the phrase "my uber driver was telling me about this amazing ...." then you know it's probably not a great treatment. Literally happened two days ago in my house.

You're right, how could anyone drive a car and also know things.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    You're right, how could anyone drive a car and also know things.
    My bad ... you go ahead and grab that medical advice from man on the street. Let us know how it works out for you.

If somebody suggests something, I might research it. I’m not going to just automatically blow it off because they’re driving a rideshare car. Maybe they’re a med student. Maybe their dad is an orthopedic surgeon. Maybe he was a physical therapist in another country before coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    ... except for flossing.
    Hey, this thread is about MEDICINE. Take that dentist shit somewhere else.

Why are the good anti inflammatory script only?

Doesn't matter--the OTC are just as good, and you can always increase the dose to prescription levels, at your peril.

I was told by a physician the script type are considerably less harmful to the stomach. I don't have any stomach problems, but figured they were less harmful to other organs as well.

Also, don't need a heavier dose. Banged myself up a couple weeks ago and tried to ween off them over last few days. But notice even just two advil make a dramatic difference in swelling and pain letting me sleep versus tossing and turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I was told by a physician the script type are considerably less harmful to the stomach. I don't have any stomach problems, but figured they were less harmful to other organs as well.

Also, don't need a heavier dose. Banged myself up a couple weeks ago and tried to ween off them over last few days. But notice even just two advil make a dramatic difference in swelling and pain letting me sleep versus tossing and turning.
    The NSAIDs available OTC are also available by prescription at stronger doses. The ones that are only available by Rx turn out to not have significantly fewer stomach problems, and one of them (forget which but I don't believe it's still available) caused a lot of heart attacks. All NSAIDs can increase the risk of heart attacks but the absolute risk is small. Don't rule out Tylenol--it is much more effective than most people realize; I can testify to that as I recover from a broken back and ribs.

Well that makes sense then, I didn't realize rx was way stronger, I was only taking one a day when I had them but I guess people could damage themselves. Hard to imagine since it's not a recreational type thing but I guess they have to work with the lowest common barometer.

Thought acetaminophen was worse for people who drink? I only have a couple drinks a day but still.

When I was younger I popped a lot of ibuprofen but I've pretty much gotten rid of all pain meds. Hope cbd lives up to the hype long term.

Principles of sports medicine

Acetaminophen can do severe damage to your liver if too much is taken. That may be the source of the idea you heard it's worse for people who drink. If they already have compromised livers, it may be easier for the Tylenol to cause harm
    Last edited by mcski; 03-31-2019 at 05:26 PM.

^^^This. The current recommendation is no more than 3 grams of Tylenol/day. Used to be 4. Some people say as low as 2. I've been on 4 for 6 weeks and haven't turned yellow yet, but I'm not drinking (taking oxycodone as well.) The thing about pain meds is this--NSAIDs can kill you, tylenol can kill you, opiates can kill you, but all of them are almost always safe when used as directed. You don't stay away from one pain med because you hear something bad about it because what you take instead is probably just as bad. The best way is to take lower doses of multiple pain meds--that way you lower the risks of all of them. No harm in CBD but in my personal experience it isn't that effective for pain (but it's great for sleeping).

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Thought acetaminophen was worse for people who drink? I only have a couple drinks a day but still.
    A couple drinks per day is not insignificant. 3 or more drinks per day is considered the upper limit beyond which you probably shouldn't use any acetaminophen at all.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/i...oure-drinking/

Regarding anti-inflammatories, IIRC it's pretty well established at this point that chronic use of NSAIDs impairs bone and soft tissue healing.