Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite Guide Books?

Looking to explore some new areas and would love to purchase some guidebooks that include locations, approach details, slope, descriptions, etc of lines. I have 5 or 6 books for Utah and 1 for Colorado right now but looking to expand my collection. CO, WY, MT, CA, ID, etc.. What books do you guys like?

It's not cheap, but very worth it: https://www.amazon.com/Select-Peaks-.../dp/0974561908

Although WA is not on your list, consider getting Beckey's Bibles

RE: Favorite guide books

If you are looking for guide books in the WY area, Thomas Turiano has 3 that are superb.
    https://thomasturiano.com/author/
    The Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone includes peaks primarily in western Wyoming, but also extends into SW Montana and eastern Idaho. Almost all of the peaks discussed include documented ski routes/descents. I think this one may be out of print. I own it and have used it extensively.

Also own this one and highly recommend it: https://thomasturiano.com/product/ja...-skiers-guide/.

He also has one that is dedicated to the Teton Pass area.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Saw that one the other day and blew it off because of the price. Just found a like new copy on eBay for $40 and went for it. Thanks for the suggestion

Those look great, I'll have to pull the trigger on the package deal, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskier View Post
    If you are looking for guide books in the WY area, Thomas Turiano has 3 that are superb.
    https://thomasturiano.com/author/
    The Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone includes peaks primarily in western Wyoming, but also extends into SW Montana and eastern Idaho. Almost all of the peaks discussed include documented ski routes/descents. I think this one may be out of print. I own it and have used it extensively.

Also own this one and highly recommend it: https://thomasturiano.com/product/ja...-skiers-guide/.

He also has one that is dedicated to the Teton Pass area.

Quote Originally Posted by rwalk View Post
    Saw that one the other day and blew it off because of the price. Just found a like new copy on eBay for $40 and went for it. Thanks for the suggestion
    Fuck, my copy is missing. Outstanding book.

Maybe I'll have to replace it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Although WA is not on your list, consider getting Beckey's Bibles
    I've always wondered how well books like this that seem more catered to climbing/mountaineering translate to skiing. I'm sure the routes are oftentimes about the same, but still curious

- Backcountry Skiing California’s Eastern Sierra

- this company does some cool short “backcountry atlas books” https://beaconguidebooks.com/shop/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Not into guidebooks for non technical exploration.
    Over a lifetime of exploring and traversing the ranges of the west, I have found that true adventure begins with a map, compass, and one's route finding abilities. Only thing I want beta on is how to access public land surrounded by private; don't wanna drive completely around a range trying to find a legal way in.
    Of course if one is climbing technical peaks, etc., guidebooks steal none of the adventure.

Edit: the original alcohol induced sanctimonious rant will live on in Norseman's post, but couldn't bear to leave what I wrote last night under the photo of my dad!
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 10-10-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    F the guidebooks...ruins the adventure...nothing worse than seeing some jong in the middle of nowhere looking at their phone on some app. instead of their surroundings. Only thing I want beta on is how to access public land surrounded by private; don't wanna drive completely around a range trying to find a legal way in. Guidebooks are for folks who don't want true adventure. Map and compass. And if you have to pick only one of those two then...compass. Spent my life exploring the ranges of the west. Hardly ever been to the same place twice 'cept in my immediate hood...tellin' ya, true adventure is without guidebooks.

Edit: Rock climbing, river running, canyoneering, etc., those are sports that guidebooks are meant for.
    I generally agree about guidebooks.

But i must defend the awesomeness of Turiano's Select Peaks if not only for the outstanding historical background of the area's exploration and survey (like the first third of the book). That's the portion I want to replace. I can use a map and GE, yes. You haven't read the thing, it's a nice work.

Guidebooks are for stoke. And for that, I am grateful, not hateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I generally agree about guidebooks.

But i must defend the awesomeness of Turiano's Select Peaks if not only for the outstanding historical background of the area's exploration and survey (like the first third of the book). That's the portion I want to replace. I can use a map and GE, yes. You haven't read the thing, it's a nice work.
    Sorry for the alcohol induced rant last night. Came across as a sanctimonious ass.
    I said "guidebooks ruin true adventure" three times in one paragraph? Whoopsee.
    Totally agree that history, geology, info on flora and fauna, and many other interesting things are to be learned from a good guidebook.
    Stuff you would never appreciate without the education.
    I own my share, and yeah, books like Beckey's bibles, and it sounds like Turlano's are pretty good reads.
    Where's the coffee?

The John Baldwinn books are pretty good

http://www.johnbaldwin.ca/books.asp
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looks like there will be a new edition of Backcountry Skiing California's Eastern Sierra. Very much enjoyed the previous edition.

Dang, that's a screaming deal. That book is usually a couple hundred even used.

I've always wondered how well books like this that seem more catered to climbing/mountaineering translate to skiing. I'm sure the routes are oftentimes about the same, but still curious
    Beckey's Bibles are quite comprehensive and IME are an essential resource for planning routes (summits or high routes) in the WA and southern BC Cascades, whether on foot or on ski. But supplemental research is required for less popular routes because, with few exceptions, Fred's descriptions are generalized at best, more often vague. Fred's guides also provide background re geology and human history of the area.

Not into guidebooks for non technical exploration.
    Over a lifetime of exploring and traversing the ranges of the west, I have found that true adventure begins with a map, compass, and one's route finding abilities
    I've planned most of my high routes (of which I've done a bunch) per researching maps and, more recently, satellite imagery. I sometimes reach out to an old timer for information, although much more often I'm the old timer contacted by others for route info.

For some routes in the Cascades and Olympics its nice to have beta re key spots to hit to avoid getting cliffed out or otherwise blocked. IME, it's less an issue in the Rockies, where there is often more route flexibility and/or high route key spots are more obvious on the map.

Crowder and Tabor's Routes & Rocks is another great resource. There are two sets of maps and tests: One of the Challenger 15' quadrangle (Northern Pickets) and a three 15' quadrangle map set around Glacier Peak. They have been available on line for downloading from time to time. J Hummel and the Skoogs have done some of the R&R routes on skis. Crowder and Tabor were USGS geologists and very athletic mountaineers who were charged with exploring the areas prior to Congress establishing North Cascades NP and Glacier Peak WA. Notwithstanding the availability of R&R info, some R&R routes are seldom actually done. Two examples are the Indian Head Traverse and Lightning Creek High Route (usually been done as ingress to or egress out of another route. We did both routes roughly 10 years ago. AFAIK, nobody has done the IH HR since then. (I've been contacted for info several times.) J Hummel skied the LC HR a year or two after we did it. It may not get done again because the White River trail has not been maintained and is now a nearly impenetrable jungle.

Gonna just brag that b-bear gave me and my wife the Turiano book on Teton Park, which is outstanding. His book on the pass is great too.

Only thing I want beta on is how to access public land surrounded by private; don't wanna drive completely around a range trying to find a legal way in.
    Even just a decently high fidelity map of the public/private land boundaries would be great. It's surprising how often even right here, bordering a major population center, this is unclear.

Colorado:
    The Konsella's Backcountry Ski & Snowboard Routes Colorado is probably the best book for a varied look at the state. It contains a mix of spring and winter routes, and has something in pretty much every mountain range.

Most of the other books either focus on a specific range, or focus on spring mountaineering lines.
    Statewide ski mountaineering: Climbing and Skiing Colorado's Mountains: 50 Select Ski Descents by Conners & Miller
    Front Range: Making Turns in Colorado’s Front Range (Volumes 1 & 2) by Sperry
    Mosquito/Tenmile: Making Turns in the Tenmile Mosquito Range by Sperry
    RMNP: Backcountry Skiing and Ski Mountaineering in Rocky Mountain National Park by Kelly

The Beacon guidebooks mentioned above are very simple but contain good info for those that don't want much in the way of route descriptions. For spring ski mountaineering I also rely heavily on Dawson's 14er books (contain ski-specific info) and Roach's 14er and 13er books (talks about snow routes only from a climbing perspective but you can usually figure out how to ski them pretty easily). If you can find the out-of-print Indian Peaks book by Roach, it's also excellent.

I do find Sperry's books and the Kelly book a little hard to follow (their writing styles are... unique) but you'll find great info in there that you won't find anywhere else.

Only thing I want beta on is how to access public land surrounded by private; don't wanna drive completely around a range trying to find a legal way in.
    There are apps for that. But then you'd have to be "some jong in the middle of nowhere looking at their phone on some app."

Seriously though - I've heard good things about this app: https://www.onxmaps.com/ but never used it myself

Shit, smoking deal. I have been looking for a reasonably priced one forever.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

There are apps for that. But then you'd have to be "some jong in the middle of nowhere looking at their phone on some app."

Seriously though - I've heard good things about this app: https://www.onxmaps.com/ but never used it myself
    Good dig, I sure earned it!

GTNP Black Book! Not quite a guide book, but there's plenty of useful info you can get out of those photos. And it's great stoke to enjoy over a Saturday morning coffee in the middle of summer...

Also, if you pay for the pro version of GAIA, you can add a private land layer. It works really well, I actually use it for real estate quite a bit.