Possible broken foot from ill fitting ski boots

I searched and could not find anything specific. For background I am 51 and very active . I have been skiing Tecnica Cochise since the original and had worn out my old ones. I bought the Zero G guide pro the lime green ones as a replacement and punched them as I have pronated duck feet that are very wide. They were not enough boot for me so last season I bought the same the orange Cochise 130 flex in the identical size. I bought it late in the season and didn't have time to punch them. They fit well enough in the store and only the right boot hurt. The problem boot was tolerable for anything under 4 to 5 hours which was about my typical ski day. Then on my last trip of the season I did the Valle Blanche with a guide in Chamonix and what should have been a 2 hour ski ended up being 7 hours with a lot of sitting around. My foot hurt so bad along the outside edge that I walked home from the bar in my socks. I could walk gingerly with tennis shoes to dinner that night and I took out the insoles and it seemed to help the rest of the trip. That was the last trip of the season. I took out the power wraps that I had been skiing on and put in the original liners to see if that would help. I went to the ski shop a few weeks ago and had them punch both boots. I tried them on and they seemed to fit well. So i toured up Mt Rainer yesterday roughly 5000 vertical and 7 hours in the boots and 3 hours with no jumps or crashes and I had the same ache as before and just tuned it out. Got to the car and switched into my street shoes and drove 2 hours home still with the same ache but able to bear weight. When I got out of the car I could not put any weight on my right foot. It felt way worse than before. Before it was just pain but I could put weight on it. After a nights sleep it feels no better. Editing to add that there is no visible swelling or discoloration. the pain is on the far outside of the foot ironically where the boot was stretched

My questions are
    1 Is it probable that I broke it just from a bad fit with no crashes

2 Should I wait a few days to see if improves or will I injure it worse or go to an er. Not real stoked about spending thousands for a non emergency

3. Do I go straight to a pediatrist ?

Any insights would be appreciated
    Last edited by Ski to Be; 10-07-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    I searched and could not find anything specific. For background I am 51 and very active . I have been skiing Tecnica Cochise since the original and had worn out my old ones. I bought the Zero G guide pro the lime green ones as a replacement and punched them as I have pronated duck feet that are very wide. They were not enough boot for me so last season I bought the same boot in 130 flex in the identical size. I bought it late in the season and didn't have time to punch them. They fit well enough in the store and only the right boot hurt. The problem boot was tolerable for anything under 4 to 5 hours which was about my typical ski day. Then on my last trip of the season I did the Valle Blanche with a guide in Chamonix and what should have been a 2 hour ski ended up being 7 hours with a lot of sitting around. My foot hurt so bad along the outside edge that I walked home from the bar where we met for beers my socks. I could walk gingerly with tennis shoes to dinner that night and I took out the insoles and it seemed to help the rest of the trip. That was the last trip of the season. I took out the power wraps that I had been skiing on and put in the original liners to see if that would help. I went to the ski shop a few weeks ago and had them punch both boots. I tried them on and they seemed to fit well. So i toured up Mt Rainer yesterday roughly 5000 vertical and 7 hours in the boots and 3 hours with no jumps or crashes and I had the same ache as before and just tuned it out. Got to the car and switched into my street shoes and drove 2 hours home still with the same ache but able to bear weight. When I got out of the car I could not put any weight on my right foot. It felt way worse than before. Before it was just pain but I could put weight on it. After a nights sleep it feels no better. Editing to add that there is no visible swelling or discoloration. the pain is on the far outside of the foot ironically where the boot was stretched

My questions are
    1 Is it probable that I broke it just from a bad fit with no crashes

2 Should I wait a few days to see if improves or will I injure it worse or go to an er. Not real stoked about spending thousands for a non emergency

3. Do I go straight to a pediatrist ?

Any insights would be appreciated
    You did not break your foot.

It's possible that your foot keeps sliding in the boot and it causes the pain on the outside

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Neuroma?

I have one and it feels like a red hot poker through the ball of my foot. Between toes 3 and 4

Never heard of one on the outside. Usually its a nerve ending grinding away between two bones.
    . . .

Wow. I had a similar adventure with the exact same boot.

It's was punched extremely poorly ( partly because the hack who sold and punched the broke the first two pairs he tried to punch)

I still can't figure out why technica made such a drastic divergence from the Cochise ...

I developed a neuralgia and some other problem like continued ankle pain, and so on. I actually had to tour out with just the shells on one day.

Long story short, I finally found a guy who knew what he was doing who managed to fix the boot in just one sitting ( compacted the previous 10 returns with the other kook)

Hope it resolves for you. 90% of my foot issues did resolve, but I still some protracted ankle pain on eversion.

Amazing how badly an ill fitting boot and poor advise from a boot fitter can impact you.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I severely bruised it and my nerves are on fire. Hopefully it gets better quickly . I went to the ski shop today and they thought it was highly unlikely that anything is broken and they are going to do a broader stretch. I am giving the boots one more chance

Ski shops are a lot cheaper than the ER if you need a diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ski shops are a lot cheaper than the ER if you need a diagnosis.
    I have only gone to the ER once in my life with a compound fracture but outside of a severe ankle sprain Ive always been able to put weight on my foot. After 2 days I can gingerly put weight on it now. FWIW I worked at a ski shop fitting boots for my college job but never saw anyone wreck their foot like I did. But that was 30 years ago and people hardly toured back then so if it hurt you just quit for the day.