Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Some PNW tips...

Wet foggy weather - put the goggles on in the lodge and don’t take them off... keep that microclimate in those lenses to avoid the fog.

Skiing in the rain - a trash bag skirt and insulated rubber gloves will allow you to get a full day in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Reminds me of my days teaching back east...one set of our uniform jackets had Entrant fabric...allegedly waterproof. Though we swore it was French for sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    this help on Skinning??? I assume you mean??

a layer of Vasaline is great to Keep Ice off stuff..
    Great for your Skin! I put a layer on Hands & face on super cold days- it lowers the temperature ice will form at on the skin surface(ie frostbite)

It is a great emergency ,anti frostbite tool too -known to save a few finger & toes /toss some in the pack
    Vaseline is similar to something we used as kids way back in the '60s and '70s. It came in a tin like shoe polish. Harder than Vaseline but essentially did the same thing to protect skin. Smelled better, minty kinda.

Go fast, take chances. My mantra to being a hack of a skier.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Just experienced a day where it went from sunny to dark in the course of a run. I wish I had swappable lenses instead of having to go back to the car for my other goggles.
    I carry both pairs with me, either in my vest or my pack.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

- pre-shred poop is the crux of the day, especially for touring. i like to poop in the comfort of my own home before the drive regardless of how early i'm getting up. on pre-5 am wake up days, i make sure to eat a big salad the night before. 10 min after coffee intake it's leaving me like a freight train
    - i never buy lunch at resorts on principle. for something hot, empty a cup of noodles into a ziploc bag for easy pocket transport. dump in free coffee cup, add free hot water, enjoy
    - scrape wax in parking lot right before riding. i don't want that shit all over my tiny apartment.
    - pine boughs ski strapped to skis make decent substitutes for forgotten skins, especially if it's most climbing
    - bailing wire is better for in-field repairs than duct tape or zip ties
    - use a big waterproof bag (those ikea bags are perfect) to carry all your touring stuff to the car that won't be in your pack when you start skinning (skins, beacon, ballcap, etc). you won't have to rifle through your pack at the trailhead, you can put it down in a snowy parking lot away from the crowded trunk that all your buddies are trying to get at to gear up, and you can just dump all your shit back into it when you get back to the car

Super glue in place of epoxy for tip or tail chips.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Vaseline is similar to something we used as kids way back in the '60s and '70s. It came in a tin like shoe polish. Harder than Vaseline but essentially did the same thing to protect skin. Smelled better, minty kinda.
    Dermatone?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Unless they want them for a gaper day costume?
    Bad idea--they'd be the only pair in evidence so I'd know who stole them.
    Actually--a sign that the skiing population is aging--I've seen more cat tracks and ski trax this year than ever before (maybe a grand total of 6 in half a season). BTW--I can walk across an icy parking lot just fine, but I learned the hard way how hard it is to find replacement heel and toe lugs for beloved boots.

Water: I carry an 8-oz kiddie water for quasi-hydration (really, for washing down snacks) on the hill. I refill it at mid-day. Fits nicely in my jacket cargo-pocket.

Switching to deep-backcountry: I have a ski drill bit whose shaft I've ground down such that it fits in a small box-end wrench, thus allowing me to hold the drill bit in place while rotating it a little, while also hitting the drill bit with a rock. This (along with a small angle-shaft pozi#3 and some double-bubble epoxy) was used successfully to remount a broken ski somewhere around Rae Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    cool/Vasaline is a Painter trick ,i'll let Maggots in on> before using oil based paint ,apply to skin areas that may come in contact. It wipes off pretty easy then. Also for Spraying Paint -saves your face a ton of tough cleaning, to use it before you paint.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    cool/Vasaline is a Painter trick ,i'll let Maggots in on> before using oil based paint ,apply to skin areas that may come in contact. It wipes off pretty easy then. Also for Spraying Paint -saves your face a ton of tough cleaning, to use it before you paint.
    We used sunscreen. Copper tone when oil painting. Little less greasy but still enough to make paint removal a bit easier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Any time you need to send back an item for a warranty repair/replacement, always throw in a few snacks and a note to the warranty people.
    You would be surprised how well a few Coffee Crisps and some ketchup chips can grease the wheels.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Any time you need to send back an item for a warranty repair/replacement, always throw in a few snacks and a note to the warranty people.
    You would be surprised how well a few Coffee Crisps and some ketchup chips can grease the wheels.

Brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah I like that one, too.

ketchup chips
    all dressed

My best hack - Have a wife who doesn't ski. That way she can:

- Pack lunch for everyone
    - Drop you and the kids off in the morning right at the front
    - Pick you up in the front and the end of the day
    - Have dinner waiting when you get back to the AirBnB

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    My best hack - Have a wife who doesn't ski. That way she can:

- Pack lunch for everyone
    - Drop you and the kids off in the morning right at the front
    - Pick you up in the front and the end of the day
    - Have dinner waiting when you get back to the AirBnB
    I'd probably be divorced if my wife didn't ski.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'd probably be divorced if my wife didn't ski.
    Seconded.

I'd probably be divorced if my wife still skied.

Thirded. My wife refuses to go on ski trips now since she injured herself because she says "she'd just be a slave". Tread wisely!