Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    Switch to snowboarding and save your knees.
    and ruin your back, shoulders, wrists...

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    and ruin your back, shoulders, wrists...
    Only if you suck at it.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Only if you suck at it.
    Troof. My knees would be shot if I'd logged all those miles on two planks
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Shit now you tell me! My bride has me repairing her route skis and I have been making welds the tedious way.
    Especially good for route skis, doesn't hold wax worth a shit but who cares.

Magnum showed me that hack.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    look where you want to go not where you don’t, ymmv.
    And the corollary, don't look at the trees, look at the gaps between the trees

A rubber maid stool in your vehical will make it easier to sit down and put on/take off boots everyone will think you are a pro, you can also sit there and drink an apres beer

also the Rubber maid product turned upside down will catch all the melted snow from yer boots, you dump the water out at home

so I don't buy the hand warmers instead I buy the toe warmers by the display box and try for a discount

cuz of the sticky backing you can stickem where they are needed, to the top of your foot, to the top/inside of a glove so they don't fall out when you take the glove of, on yer I-phone, we had them stuck to the radio/timing gear for an alpine race

wear the cheap thro away vynal gloves inside your gloves or mitts, they act as a vapor barrier so the glove insulation does not get wet and keeps insulating. the down side is the waitress in the bar will look at you funny when you take yer gloves off, suggest you tell her you are a gynecologist and offer a free exam

don't eat in the cafe cuz it gets to be expensive, time wasting and not very healthy so pack a light lunch and a thermos of tea or if you bring a 6 pack of beer try to pack a healthy beer

a good rule of thumb is to make the scene but put a limit on those ski hill beers in the bar cuz the bar is full of the overweight unhealthy guys you do not want to be

when yer skin get covered in snow run them over yer ski edges to scrape it off

recognize the drama that is inherent to every ski hill for what it is, rise above it or at least talk to both sides and play both sides against one another

when you are skiing with folks who are younger than you an its getting too intense, pull out a joint cuz it will fuck them up and the action will slow way down while they try and remember to breathe

edibles are way easier to manage than smokables cuz you don't need to light anything, the down side might be they will hit you in the middle of a turn so be ready and don't go over board on the pregame thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Drill lots of holes in yer skis to make them lighter and provide option of on hill mount point changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porohete swiss cheese.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	651.9 KB 
ID:	250003
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A rubber maid stool in your vehical will make it easier to sit down and put on/take off boots everyone will think you are a pro, you can also sit there and drink an apres beer

also the Rubber maid product turned upside down will catch all the melted snow from yer boots, you dump the water out at home

so I don't buy the hand warmers instead I buy the toe warmers by the display box and try for a discount

cuz of the sticky backing you can stickem where they are needed, to the top of your foot, to the top/inside of a glove so they don't fall out when you take the glove of, on yer I-phone, we had them stuck to the radio/timing gear for an alpine race

wear the cheap thro away vynal gloves inside your gloves or mitts, they act as a vapor barrier so the glove insulation does not get wet and keeps insulating. the down side is the waitress in the bar will look at you funny when you take yer gloves off, suggest you tell her you are a gynecologist and offer a free exam

don't eat in the cafe cuz it gets to be expensive, time wasting and not very healthy so pack a light lunch and a thermos of tea or if you bring a 6 pack of beer try to pack a healthy beer

a good rule of thumb is to make the scene but put a limit on those ski hill beers in the bar cuz the bar is full of the overweight unhealthy guys you do not want to be

when yer skin get covered in snow run them over yer ski edges to scrape it off

recognize the drama that is inherent to every ski hill for what it is, rise above it or at least talk to both sides and play both sides against one another

when you are skiing with folks who are younger than you an its getting too intense, pull out a joint cuz it will fuck them up and the action will slow way down while they try and remember to breathe

edibles are way easier to manage than smokables cuz you don't need to light anything, the down side might be they will hit you in the middle of a turn so be ready and don't go over board on the pregame thing
    got it wired, son.

What kinda brandy or schnapps in my bota bag ?
    foot powder before the socks go on (polypro only, no cotton) to reduce sweat, the spray works good too. minty between the toes. and clip those friggin' Toenails
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Own it like Eddie.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 4.30.06 AM.png
Views: 1197
Size:  448.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I went with a little folding step stool and bath mat to put down under it. folds down flat taking up less cargo space. Step stool also useful to stand on when moving gear in or out of the ski box. Bath mat keeps socks dry when ground is snowy or muddy.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by jaja111 View Post
    -Thumb squeegee .
    Don’t forget about the thumb squeegee when it’s -10 and you go to wipe the snot from your nose. The pain...

Rule with kids-CYOC.

Carry Your Own .

If not you don’t get to come skiing.

12 volt DC seat warmer or large heating pad laid flat across the rear cargo area under the boot bags for the 3 hour drive up to the mountains. Not as hot as a real heated boot bag but gets TWO bags warm enough requiring only one car outlet.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ghettowerx replacement dynafit vertical st binding toe locking lever.

Name:	Untitled4444.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	969.0 KB 
ID:	250011
    Master of mediocrity.

Replace stock Black Diamond razor carbon ski touring pole strap with your choice of voile, g3 or other flexi rubberish ski strap.

EDIT; I only use straps for uphilling cause i'm prit near a ski touring purist. Never wear em for downhills due to the risk of injury...points articulated well by Telefreewasach in another post here.

Benefits:
    1. instant quick release when u wanna get your hands off the pole. No dicking around with trying to loosen the o.g. strap and wasting time and energy.
    2. open wide with a bit of form rigidity to easily insert gloved hand. No limp fabric catching on gloves requiring an exercise in reverse houdini to get yer hands in the straps.
    3. always have two ski straps literally on hand ready for deployment in case of medical emergency (ski pole splint), easy to hook binding and retrieve a ski that's fallen into a creek, fits all shapes of water bottles for filling in creeks
    4. the shock absorption offered during repetitive pole plants is a game changer for peeps with nerve damage to hands/wrists

Drawbacks
    --none==

Name:  P1060460.JPG
Views: 1140
Size:  105.6 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski strap pole strap.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	250014  
    Last edited by swissiphic; 10-08-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Split your skins.

Benefits:
    1. One pair of skins to fit more of your skis
    2. Somehow produces about 30 percent uphill traction...prob due to the a bit of cookie cutter effect/more hair penetration from lateral edges in the center section.
    3. Better grip sidehilling on firmer snow (<hard than ice)
    4. Increased glide
    5. If you don't like it you could probably use aquaseal and glue em back together again

Drawbacks
    1. In field adjustment isn't easy, best done in warm indoor environment whilst sipping on tequila
    2. Center section gets buildup of icy gunk in freeze/thaw spring conditions but pretty specific for days. results in slight increase in drag but not enough to require busting out the cordless drill with the wire wheel from the pack for ice removal.

Name:  P1060305.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  P1060019.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  111.3 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Replace stock Black Diamond razor carbon ski touring pole strap with your choice of voile, g3 or other flexi rubberish ski strap.

Benefits:
    1. instant quick release when u wanna get your hands off the pole. No dicking around with trying to loosen the o.g. strap and wasting time and energy.
    2. open wide with a bit of form rigidity to easily insert gloved hand. No limp fabric catching on gloves requiring an exercise in reverse houdini to get yer hands in the straps.
    3. always have two ski straps literally on hand ready for deployment in case of medical emergency (ski pole splint), easy to hook binding and retrieve a ski that's fallen into a creek, fits all shapes of water bottles for filling in creeks
    4. the shock absorption offered during repetitive pole plants is a game changer for peeps with nerve damage to hands/wrists

Drawbacks
    --none==

Name:  P1060460.JPG
Views: 1140
Size:  105.6 KB
    Love the dynafit solution, but gonna have to differ with you about no drawbacks to wearing pole straps.
    Having them on is good for many reasons, but wearing them while skiing can be hazardous to one's health.
    Can't tell you how many shoulder injuries I've seen from folks hooking a basket on a tree, etc.
    If you are buried in a slide, pretty much impossible to bring a hand to your face to clear your own airway.
    I guess if you only ski in area, and have those little racer cone baskets...
    (Love the idea of water bottle dipping. Might have to change mine out strictly for that!)
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Love the dynafit solution, but gonna have to differ with you about no drawbacks to wearing pole straps.
    Having them on is good for many reasons, but wearing them while skiing can be hazardous to one's health.
    Can't tell you how many shoulder injuries I've seen from folks hooking a basket on a tree, etc.
    If you are buried in a slide, pretty much impossible to bring a hand to your face to clear your own airway.
    I guess if you only ski in area, and have those little racer cone baskets...
    (Love the idea of water bottle dipping. Might have to change mine out strictly for that!)
    Shit, forgot the disclaimer; i'm a ski tourer >90 percent of the time. I ONLY wear the straps for uphills. Have to wear them due to nerve damage from car accidents, can't hold the pole without em for any length of time.

I NEVER wear them for downhills due to all the reasons you articulated. 100 percent agreement.

My latest idea is to form a fiberglass brace support cast so the pole plant stress/pressure is distributed a bit further up the forearm past the wrist so you can really reef on the poles without any hand tension/wrist stress whatsoever.
    Master of mediocrity.

Wake N Bake
    Breakfast Burrito and coffee
    rebake in the lot after boots are on and flask is in the backpack....FILLED
    Go skling
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by jaja111 View Post
    -Thumb squeegee
    Handful-of-snow-squeegee works even better. Also:

-baggie of Vitamin I lives in jacket pocket in case of slams
    -instant coffee lives in seat-back pocket in case of tired/overcontinence
    -folding camp chairs can be had for single-digit USD; two in car always
    -ankle-length Xtra Tufs (or similar) = never get wet feet in lot again
    -half-liter Nalgene on carabiner on backpack strap (touring only)
    -point-and-shoot in tiniest Pelican case on other backpack strap (touring only)
    Last edited by Toddball; 10-08-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Secure sunglasses with Croakies. If you get dusted by a self-made avalanche, they will stay attached.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Lamest thread in a long time.. cat track padlocks.

JFC....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Your Best Ski Hacks

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Lamest thread in a long time.. cat track padlocks.

JFC....
    It originated on another ski thread....somebody brought it here...

FWIW, it is an interesting difference between the posts from the two different forums.....lol

X3 on the nitrile gloves.....
    Last edited by BC.; 10-08-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Name:	Image1539023696.593142.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	250057

Few feet of duct tape around the poles near the handles.

X2 on nitrile/latex/vinyl gloves. Make sure they don’t fit too tight though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Rule with kids-CYOC.

Carry Your Own .

If not you don’t get to come skiing.
    You guys back?