Page 1 of 111 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

NBA 2018/2019 thread

OK let’s go.
    I predict W’s vs. Celtics final. W’s win it for the three-peat.
    KD addresses the Seattle crowd in a Kemp jersey, in the last event held at KeyArena before they renovate, (hopefully to attract an NHL team, and then possibly an NBA team):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9327.JPG 
Views:	472 
Size:	611.2 KB 
ID:	249717
    He is one tall spidery looking dude:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9331.JPG 
Views:	445 
Size:	965.8 KB 
ID:	249718
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Warriors vs. Celtics seems like a pretty good prediction - and possibly a great series with both teams being so versatile. Although, I'm guessing during the regular season the Warriors will be even sloppier and more disinterested than last year, so they could lose in the playoffs with more of those bad habits. They were fortunate to make it through last year.

Boston vs. Toronto for Eastern Conference Finals? I'm not sold on Philly - they beat-up bad teams but have serious match-up problems against strong opponents, as Boston demonstrated.

Warriors vs. Utah or OKC for the Western? I think Houston will really miss Ariza and Melo isn't going to be a good fit, while CP3 will only be another year older. Westbrook and PG13 will have more chemistry this year, you'd figure. I bet Mitchell has a huge year in Utah building off last year's playoff success. Dark horse MVP candidate?

Could be a year where there's not an obvious MVP winner, so LeBron gets it since he's kind of overdue for another. Plus that LA spotlight all season.

melo will drag yet another team down into drama and dysfunction with his ego

The Suns fire their GM on the eve of the season, WTF?

Let's go Celtics!

Kyrie Irving says he will resign when that time comes, nice to not have months of stupid speculation.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Let's go Celtics!

Kyrie Irving says he will resign when that time comes, nice to not have months of stupid speculation.
    That’s crazy about the Suns. I was just looking them up since they play the W’s tonight.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Let's go Celtics!

Perhaps you meant re-sign? Scared me for a moment and I had to go Google and make sure he wasn't leaving.

It's the NBA - there will ALWAYS be stupid speculation. Just wait, the first time Kyrie and Stevens have a brief argument on the bench, a bunch of articles will come out speculating what other team he'll sign with since clearly he can't get along with his head coach!

At the speaker series thing with Kerr the other night, he talked about how funny the press reaction was to his argument with Draymond in OKC a few years back and how it became a big joke inside the organization.

Celtics have stunk it up pretty bad in preseason. Big part of their team identity is gritty defense and movement on offense breaking down the other team for high percentage looks. Hopefully all the talk has not gone to their heads-->looking at you Jayson Tatum.

Pre season games mean even less than practice. Why grind on D?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

habits and mentality

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    habits and mentality
    lol... 82 game season and Boston isn't missing the playoffs. Grinding during the pre season sounds like starting out a marathon with an all-out sprint. The NBA pre-season is possibly the most meaningless pre-season in all of sports. No major roster decisions going on like in football, no innings build up for pitchers like in baseball. Hockey I guess is similar except they have a lot more rotations and lines to figure out.

Things that could be interesting this year - random thoughts:

- where will Jimmy Butler land?

- how will Celtics be with pressure to make Finals? Can they challenge the Dubs? (I think so)

- Kawhi and the Raps: will he be in form? Will they be a threat? (I hope so)

- Rockets - will CP3 break down again? (Yes, at the worst time) Lose too much on D with Ariza and Mbah a Moute departures? (Prolly) Melo able to be help off bench instead of a diva? (Nah)

- Pellies - AD = MVP? 3 -4 seed? Holiday maintain playoff level of play all year? (Yeah)

- Bucks - year of Giannis? Can they ever learn to shoot?

- Lakers: is drama enough? Or, will LBJ somehow elevate them enough to be a threat? (I think they land somewhere around 6 seed)

- OKC: addition by subtraction w Melo gone. Maybe better with Schroeder and Westy playing some off guard? When will Roberson come back and will they jell by playoffs?

- Blazers: back to the pack? 3 seed last year a mirage? (I think so)

- Nuggets - healthy Millsap and internal growth enough to make playoffs? (I hope so)

Utah - 2-3 seed or 4-6 seed? How good are they? (Thinking 3 seed)

KD's last season in Golden State?

He's got a couple of rings - and maybe will get a third - but knows he will never be beloved to the fans the way Steph and Klay are. This is basically what I'm expecting to happen. I could see him going to the Lakers to play with LeBron so long as LeBron's body doesn't break down this year. Plus - he wouldn't really get any flack from anyone for leaving. I think most (non-bandwagon) Dubs fans would say thanks for a few great seasons and good luck. He could also go to the Knicks and be an absolute super-duper-star hero... they would adore him. And with Porzingas would immediately be an Eastern contender.

There's a part of me that hopes this happens... just to change things up and it would make the league more interesting. Of course, if there's some epic 7 game finals against the Celtics, I may feel differently at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Things that could be interesting this year - random thoughts:

- where will Jimmy Butler land?

- how will Celtics be with pressure to make Finals? Can they challenge the Dubs? (I think so)

- Kawhi and the Raps: will he be in form? Will they be a threat? (I hope so)

- Rockets - will CP3 break down again? (Yes, at the worst time) Lose too much on D with Ariza and Mbah a Moute departures? (Prolly) Melo able to be help off bench instead of a diva? (Nah)

- Pellies - AD = MVP? 3 -4 seed? Holiday maintain playoff level of play all year? (Yeah)

- Bucks - year of Giannis? Can they ever learn to shoot?

- Lakers: is drama enough? Or, will LBJ somehow elevate them enough to be a threat? (I think they land somewhere around 6 seed)

- OKC: addition by subtraction w Melo gone. Maybe better with Schroeder and Westy playing some off guard? When will Roberson come back and will they jell by playoffs?

- Blazers: back to the pack? 3 seed last year a mirage? (I think so)

- Nuggets - healthy Millsap and internal growth enough to make playoffs? (I hope so)

Utah - 2-3 seed or 4-6 seed? How good are they? (Thinking 3 seed)
    Miami
    I think so too.
    Not sure they'll be a threat. Don't really care.
    Yes. Yes. And no (I used to be a Melo fan, and expected Olympics Melo, but I think that guy is gone).
    Yes.
    I think the Bucks will be good; because they have talent and a very good coach. I say 3-4 seed.
    I agree, 6 seed sounds right.
    I think OKC will be tough.
    Blazers miss the playoffs, IMO.
    Nuggets make the playoffs!
    Everything in the west is a crapshoot. 2 games separated the 3 seed from the 8 seed. So the difference between 2-3 seed and 4-6 is negligible.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

BTW, I get the Dubs fatigue, but Steph Curry is ready to go off again. Check this out to get stoked: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRjKvSQGnsQ#

Season opener anyone? Celts vs Sixers!

Nota big NBA fan, but I live in MN and can’t wait to see how this Butler / Wolves debacle plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Season opener anyone? Celts vs Sixers!
    yes! fukkin injuries already hurt their draft pick and free agent. fultz?? time to step up.

Best time of year. All four majors on at the same time! AND college football.

Go dubs!

Miami
    I think so too.
    Not sure they'll be a threat. Don't really care.
    Yes. Yes. And no (I used to be a Melo fan, and expected Olympics Melo, but I think that guy is gone).
    Yes.
    I think the Bucks will be good; because they have talent and a very good coach. I say 3-4 seed.
    I agree, 6 seed sounds right.
    I think OKC will be tough.
    Blazers miss the playoffs, IMO.
    Nuggets make the playoffs!
    Everything in the west is a crapshoot. 2 games separated the 3 seed from the 8 seed. So the difference between 2-3 seed and 4-6 is negligible.
    the bucks have the greak freak!

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    the bucks have the greak freak!
    Force to be reckoned with.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

NBA 2018/2019 thread

Everyone says he’s gonna win MVP... I’m not so sure if he’s there yet. I kind of feel like both LeBron and Curry are underrated at this point. Which is an odd thing to say but it’s true, at least when it comes to MVP voting.

Zach Lowe said the same about Curry in his predictions column today.

People are suggesting LeBron’s Lakers may not make the playoffs. I don’t buy it, unless he gets hurt.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Well, MVP isn't about who is the best player or even necessarily about who had the best season, it's about the narrative. Giannis could most certainly have the narrative if his stats get even better and the Bucks win 55+ games.

I do think Curry is a little underrated at this point too. But that rating has little to do with the MVP award, he has virtually no chance unless Durant gets seriously injured.

But if I was a betting man, I'd bet on Davis.

Ok, so that had some great plays and some downright ugly. Looked like a season opener to me. Go Celtics!!!
    I see hydraulic turtles.