Page 68 of 111 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2771
    I had forgotten what defensive animal he was. His arms are soooooo long.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I had forgotten what defensive animal he was. His arms are soooooo long.
    He would routinely guard 1-4, and often 5 when needed, was hypermobile, and, as you say, so long. And would instantly turn defense into offense. He was also stupid smart so, in addition to locking down his own guy, his steals numbers were crazy. He averaged 2 steals per game and had a couple seasons averaging almost 3. For his CAREER he averaged more steals than all but 6 guys are averaging for this season. As he was also concentrating on lockdown D that's crazy. The other steal leaders tend to suck on D - Harden, Paul, Rubio this year, for example.

All defense team 12 out of 17 years.

And I never really even liked the guy, to be honest. But credit where credit is due.

NBA 2018/2019 thread

Btw, when comparing eras as far as defense, there’s the pre and post hand check rule. Big difference there.

(Did anyone mention Bill Russell I hope?)

/ end cameo appearance.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Btw, when comparing eras as far as defense, there’s the pre and post hand check rule. Big difference there.

(Did anyone mention Bill Russell I hope?)

/ end cameo appearance.
    Jeebus Dude - just keep wading in. It’s entertaining AF.

Of course he’s an all-timer but I don’t recall seeing Russell play.

I was a big Clyde fan as a kid and that’s about as far back as I remember (went to games at the Cow Palace in late 60’s)

ucks are deeeeeep.

Bucks are looking good enough to give the W's a run for sure. My only hesitation is that Houston looked that good too. On the other hand, it isn't just one round of good play for the Bucks.

Entertainment is super subjective, and I think someone mentioned earlier that having THE team to root against makes things more entertaining. Just so far the W's haven't really been challenged. Bucks could change that and make for an amazing finals. Raptors possibly could too if they get their shit together.
    It sucks to suck.

NBA 2018/2019 thread

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Jeebus Dude - just keep wading in. It’s entertaining AF.
    Honestly, sometimes entertaining, but when you make a statement like most versatile, then explain exactly what that means... and then everyone responds with a bunch of best of all time crap while disregarding what you actually said, the whole thing kind of jumps the shark.

Similar thread going on nba reddit and the discussion of individual team defense and versatility is perfectly rational. I did get a good laugh out of Draymond’s game last night demonstrating my point. Also amusing that no one here (apparently) thinks Iggy is a versatile defender. Sure, he’ll cover LeBron and Harden but definitely a one trick pony. But I’m just a crazy homer... remind me again why he won finals MVP in 2015?

Props to the Rodman response however - he was a defensive beast and as versatile as they come.

Are you on drugs? No one thinks Iggy is in the conversation for ALL TIME NBA MOST VERSATILE defender. Nobody. Not anyone who isn’t the biggest homer I’ve ever heard of. If he still played in philly you wouldn’t even know his name. The “versatile” definition is foggy at best since tony Allen Scottie pippen kawhi Leonard Bruce Bowen off the top of the head aren’t “versatile” enough.

People think iguodala is a good defender. Be happy with that. In the convo for best ever? Holy shit pass that shit over here.
    Decisions Decisions

NBA 2018/2019 thread

See, you did it again. Kind of amazing, really. I no longer have any interest arguing with you since you can’t focus on an actual topic. You just veer off course in the same post.

To clarify: nowhere in this thread did I or anyone else suggest Iggy was one of the best defensive players of all time. I said he was right up there in terms of defensive versatility being able to cover every position on the floor. Having both him and Draymond with that capability is the Warrior's secret sauce and largely why they've had the most productive offense per 100 possessions of all time (it's not just the splash brothers). Plenty of other teams over the years could run out small players and score at will, but then they would get absolutely murdered on defense to the degree that it wasn't worth it. So to say they've had two of the most versatile (not best) defenders of all time is hardly a stretch. It's a big part of the reason they work. Plenty of analysts / coaches / who-the-fuck-evers agree with that take. In fact, the same general sentiment I heard from a current, well respected NBA coach (who some of you cheer for in this thread) during a round of golf - he was the college roommate of a friend of mine.

Okay, now I'm really done. Go Toronto!
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 05-19-2019 at 06:31 PM.

As a Dubs fan, the Bucks are the strongest threat to beat em. Even that Cavs team that fell into a ship the Dubs choked on. But considering the success of past years, I don't think I'll be too hurt if Bucks best them.
    Ask me again when the games actually start and ILYK.

Frustrated with these fouls. I haven’t seen enough to see if it’s sloppy basketball or if it’s being over officiated, but I think it’s both.

Fuck.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Frustrated with these fouls. I haven’t seen enough to see if it’s sloppy basketball or if it’s being over officiated, but I think it’s both.

Fuck.
    Agree; both. Makes it halting to watch.

Siakam had game in his hands and couldn’t make 2 FTs...

Agree; both. Makes it halting to watch.

Siakam had game in his hands and couldn’t make 2 FTs...
    Spicy P, WTF? At least we got the W.
    We the North. Go Raptors, good performance from their bench last night.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Spicy P, WTF? At least we got the W.
    We the North. Go Raptors, good performance from their bench last night.
    Yup. Bucks have 4 high volume shooters - Giannis, Middleton, Bledsoe, Brogdon - and only one of them was on last night (Brogdon.) Unusual. Lopez and Hill played ok, but when those other 4 take close to 70 shots you need at least 2 of them to shoot ok. Only Giannis and Brogdon were positive in +/-.

I expect that to change next game. We shall see.

Who are the most annoying players in the league? In no particular order and IMO:

CP3
    Westbrook
    Joker
    Draymond
    Hardin...

ETA: Rondo, Dwight, and Boogie
    Last edited by Adolf Allerbush; 05-20-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Apparently, it was Rob Pelinka who Magic was referring to when he talked about "backstabbing". Since Pelinka is supposedly close friends with Kobe, it should surprise nobody that he's a total douchebag. Love watching the Lakers dirty laundry get aired, they look like shit.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...s-backstabbing
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Every NBA podcast I listen to talked about how Magic didn't put in any work, didn't understand how to be a GM and wasn't interested in the 24/7 job that position is. If Pelinka called him on that and forced him out I say good for Pelinka. Although I hate the Lakers just as much as the next guy, so maybe we'd all have been better off if Pelinka had kept his mouth shut?
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 05-20-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Magic doesn't dispell that he wasn't working hard only that he didn't like hearing about it.

Agree, Magic comes off as entitled whiner. Takes no responsibility for poor team and blames the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Who are the most annoying players in the league? In no particular order and IMO:

CP3
    Westbrook
    Joker
    Draymond
    Hardin...

ETA: Rondo, Dwight, and Boogie
    Annoying in different ways...and, more famous usually = more notorious

KD is annoyingly insecure

Kelly Oubre is a punk

Zach Collins shows promise as a rookie agitator (Draymond, Marcus Smart, Rondo, and Pat Beverley are vet agitators)

Embiid is funny AF but also annoyingly fragile

Blake Griffin is an entitled weirdo (glad he’s rotting in Motown)

Tristan Thompson runs his mouth a lot and gets on TMZ far too much

Zaza and Kelly Olynyk have hurt guys, intentionally or recklessly

LeBron has his meta-agenda going all the time

Curry plays nice guy but shows up opponents with the shimmying etc

Lot's of missed important FTs on both ends last night. I think it's telling that the Raptors had a home game where Kawhi got some good help plus Giannis had a poor shooting night and still took 2 OTs to win. I really liked Milwaukee going with Middleton as the hot hand at the end of regulation, having Giannis stay back as a distraction then crash the paint for a second chance opportunity.

I pretty much agree with 54-46's list for annoying. The agitators don't bother me as much. I do think how the media portrays some of these guys makes them more annoying to me.

Probably my tops:
    Harden- flopping and whining
    Embiid- flopping combined with acting tough/shit-talking.
    Lebron- The histrionics combined with acting tough plus the "meta-agenda"
    Curry- He's the media's golden-boy but to me comes off arrogant with his antics (i.e. pretending to take a nap during game 2 of the Finals last year)
    KD- I feel like this is obvious

Just to balance this out, my least annoying:

Giannis, Oladipo, McCollum, Horford, most guys who don't take themselves too seriously or just play and don't get involved in the extra BS
    It sucks to suck.

Regarding Curry, my wife and I were talking about how it felt weird after game 2 when they asked him about Seth and he sort of shrugged off Seth's performance. No mention of being proud, love or anything--just looked like a dick, honestly. Surprised me for sure.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Annoying in different ways...and, more famous usually = more notorious

KD is annoyingly insecure

Kelly Oubre is a punk

Zach Collins shows promise as a rookie agitator (Draymond, Marcus Smart, Rondo, and Pat Beverley are vet agitators)

Embiid is funny AF but also annoyingly fragile

Blake Griffin is an entitled weirdo (glad he’s rotting in Motown)

Tristan Thompson runs his mouth a lot and gets on TMZ far too much

Zaza and Kelly Olynyk have hurt guys, intentionally or recklessly

LeBron has his meta-agenda going all the time

Curry plays nice guy but shows up opponents with the shimmying etc
    This is a much more nuanced view vs. my caveman view.

I don't disagree with you...and Rev, that was really weird. I took it as "oh yeah, my bro? fuck that guy"
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

If Steph played it straight he'd take a ton of grief for being too white.

NBA 2018/2019 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    This is a much more nuanced view vs. my caveman view.

I don't disagree with you...and Rev, that was really weird. I took it as "oh yeah, my bro? fuck that guy"
    Steph Curry said something about how perfect it was that Seth played well and Dubs still won. That was as good as Seth got from him.

Steph gets annoyed when Seth steals the ball from him and makes him look bad. Sibling rivalry is alive!

People are funny/weird. One reason why the NBA is interesting compared to NFL, which treats most players as replaceable parts/commodities. NBA leans into this shit