Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home Improvement Mags, What Should I Do About This Rusting Chimney Cap?

Was just on the roof winterizing my swamp cooler and was reminded about rust on top of my chimney. See attached photo. Not sure if the rusting part is actually called a chimney cap. If that's the wrong terminology, please enlighten me.

Was thinking I'd scrap with wire brush, then steel whool and then spray on Rust-Oleum and/or gutter sealer but not sure if those would be a fire hazard?

Does the entire thing need to be replaced?

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181005_171200.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	249688

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Was just on the roof winterizing my swamp cooler and was reminded about rust on top of my chimney. See attached photo. Not sure if the rusting part is actually called a chimney cap. If that's the wrong terminology, please enlighten me.

Was thinking I'd scrap with wire brush, then steel whool and then spray on Rust-Oleum and/or gutter sealer but not sure if those would be a fire hazard?

Does the entire thing need to be replaced?

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181005_171200.jpeg 
Views:	182 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	249688

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app
    PM SkiFishBum

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Home Improvement Mags, What Should I Do About This Rusting Chimney Cap?

The rust removal & then paint is a good fix. It’s not a permanent one, but it will get you through a season (as long as it’s not rusted thru)

About 10 years ago I heard a rukus from behind the living room TV. Then, suddenly .... SQUIRREL!!!! Had dropped down the old inactive chimney and punched out the cap from the old gas heater exhaust. I just opened the front door, got back in my seat on the couch and watched the old hound dog go to work. Chased the critter around the kitchen, back through the living room, and right out the front door. Never did do anything about covering the chimney, no other invasions to date..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You'll want a high temp heat paint if possible. Maybe.....

Rusty trombone.

Before you do any of that, get some Barkeepers Friend and a scrubby and see if it comes right off. It sort of looks like rust dripping from above.

Probably started by just a scratch or weak spot, but just in case - make sure that's not a hot spot from a heat leak in your stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Slopetime View Post
    You'll want a high temp heat paint if possible. Maybe.....
    There are engine paints and BBQ paints easily available that are high temp rated. IDK which would be more weather resistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That is most likely just surface rust. I bet it has 20 years left easy. The problem with painting it is you now have a maintenance item on your roof. Fuck that.

nothing, just monitor the situation yearly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Before you do any of that, get some Barkeepers Friend and a scrubby and see if it comes right off. It sort of looks like rust dripping from above.
    Like from the sky? Rusty rain?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Well there's purple rain apparently so why not rusty rain?

wire brush, sandpaper, spray bomb

THis is common in my line of work. Its just surface rust. Easily cleaned off with a green 3m pad or similar.
    You could use a product called rust mort or similar to prep before painting. its not cheap though and most likely overkill. Re-paint the top with a rust inhibiting paint. What DaveTV says.
    Not sure if you can get it in the US but Mio aluminum is a great product. PRobably overkill.
    Also, I am not shitting you but if you soak the area with straight up Coke, it may remove alot of the rust before painting.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Thanks all. Appreciate all of your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    That is most likely just surface rust. I bet it has 20 years left easy. The problem with painting it is you now have a maintenance item on your roof. Fuck that.
    Thanks, but not sure what you mean by mainenance item on the roof? Like if I paint it, it's something else up there to upkeep? Or painting it is an issue by itself?

I'm up there 2x per year to work on my swamp cooler. Easy access out the guest bedroom window and then it's a fairly walkable roof.

Rustoleum makes a high temp spray paint. Comes in aluminum color (among others) which doesn’t look too far off what you already have.

I don’t think that area is supposed to be hot, but the closer you get to the actual stack the hotter it will get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Thanks all. Appreciate all of your advice.

Thanks, but not sure what you mean by mainenance item on the roof? Like if I paint it, it's something else up there to upkeep? Or painting it is an issue by itself?

I'm up there 2x per year to work on my swamp cooler. Easy access out the guest bedroom window and then it's a fairly walkable roof.
    He means that once you paint it you need to keep painting it every year or so or else it will chip and look like shit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

pm Rusty Groomer
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

what the hell is going on around here now that DD is gone?!

A) a maul
    B) dog shit
    C) dynamite

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    takes a lot to rust through metal
    id paint it with
    http://https://www.homedepot.com/p/H...-206029976-_-N
    if i were to paint it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A rusty chimney? Not really into that, you know.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    There are engine paints and BBQ paints easily available that are high temp rated. IDK which would be more weather resistant.
    I'd go with the bbq paint, but both are probably fine.

Pop the lid off and do your paint repair. I think there are spray on zinc galvanizing sprays, which match the metal

When reinstalling, put a wooden strip in the middle, maybe an inch high. Try to put a peak in the cap so water drains off and doesn’t pool.