More toys! WBTB?

Through some bizarre twist of fate, I have landed back in California after a 4-7 year hiatus. Graduated from kollidge in Socal in '98, worked for a few months in O.C. in '01, and BAM! here I am back again. Altho this time its inland, I'm still only a 2-3 hours from the coast, which is a LOT closer than Utah.

So I wanna buy a board! I was a total sponger in college (got pretty good at it), but when I moved to O.C. I got into surfing with all the other Powder kooks. I completely got hooked...so many similarities to skiing (difficulty/rewards). There, I bought a used 8'0" fun shape. It was a good board, but I definitely struggled with it. Since then, I've rented 9'0" long/fun type boards that I have no problem standing up on. They're almost too easy. I want something I can progress on but not spend months struggling with since I'll only have the spare weekend here and there at the coast. Kinda thinking something in between, like a short-ish 8'0-8'6 fun shape. Or should I just get a 9' longboard and wait to get better, then have more of a quiver with something shorty? (i've always thought fish looked cool)

Cuz I'm definitely still a kook out there, even though I know the water pretty well. I super struggle with paddling out on the big boards cuz I'm still used to just pushing a bodyboard under and duckdiving the waves. Turtling confounds me. Meh. Advice appreciated!

Lightbulb

Didn't you learn anything from Chandler? You start on the big boards first and work your way to the smaller boards!

Seriously, a 9' tank would make it super easy to get waves. More waves for you = faster learning curve. Try to borrow a fish to take for a spin and see how you like it. They're like fat chicks - fun to ride.

Also helps if you get a balance board, like the Indo board, or a longboard skateboard/carveboard.

Enjoy the summer South swells!

hey kook! Time to change your location!
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

particle,

get the sponge out, the wedge is working @ 10' today. Save the longboarding for the smaller days
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Dude,

I know I'll get worked for this, but you should consider a Surf Tech epoxy board. I got my 9'0" on the reccomendation of Randy Ward and Sam George (both own numerous models, and we both know Randy is the man) and I love it. It's a Randall French shape and super turny (for a longboard). They float pretty nice too. You should be able to find a used one in CA. They're SUPER durable. I've bounced it off a few rock that would've killed glass. This would appeal to you since you'd be racking it up for a long haul.

My model (Randall French 9-0 H.P.) is used by all the guys who surf pipeline on Surftech longboards.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28945
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

have some dignity and get something that starts with (at the most) the number 6.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    have some dignity and get something that starts with (at the most) the number 6.
    Because Socal needs more surfers flailing away on a potato chip?

Get a "modern" longboard. 9' -9'6" depending on how big you are and how thin it is. Buy it used because it'll get that way soon enough.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Because Socal needs more surfers flailing away on a potato chip?
    people flail on everything here. they don't discriminate.
    fine

boss--really, Sam and Randy recommended Surf Tech eh? That's kewl. I've looked at their stuff but ya know, seemed like it wasn't as 'cool' as glass. Hmmm I'll have to check it, thanks! Along the same lines, I've been curious about Patagonia's brand, Point Blanks.

I'm taking SuPu's advice and going 9'0". More waves=faster learning. Very very true.

Tuffy you're a kook! I tried surfing a couple times in college on my buddy's 7'6" Gun and found it demoralizing and miserable. Which is why I didn't pick up surfing until after I lived smack on the coast for 5 years. I'll still break out the sponge every once in a while though I'm sure...it's just fun to be at eye level with the wave.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    hey kook! Time to change your location!
    good point, kook

Quote Originally Posted by Particle
    Along the same lines, I've been curious about Patagonia's brand, Point Blanks.
    I've got the 7'2" Rocket Sled and an 8'6" Triditional. Both are rad. I'm still pretty, well, very shitty at surfing and the 8'6" helps me catch more waves than the 7'2" but I much prefer the RS when it comes to actual wave riding.

A 7'10" RS would be a perfect learner board IMO. It's big and fat and thick (just like I know you like it) but still smooooove on the wave.

As far as durability goes I guess they're holding up well, but I have never used a "normal" board to compare.

Here's what I've learned about normal f/f vs. Point Blanks vs. Surftech construction:

F/F are stronger than Surftechs when it comes to snapping/catastrophic failures, but more prone to little dings whereas surftechs are durable on the little end but are more prone to snapping.

Point Blanks try to take the best of both worlds and blend them in one nice expensive eco-friendly (cough) board. The epoxy layup is more durable for little stuff than normal poly layup, and they maintain the less snappable construction.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

boss--really, Sam and Randy recommended Surf Tech eh? That's kewl. I've looked at their stuff but ya know, seemed like it wasn't as 'cool' as glass. Hmmm I'll have to check it, thanks! Along the same lines, I've been curious about Patagonia's brand, Point Blanks.

I'm taking SuPu's advice and going 9'0". More waves=faster learning. Very very true.

Tuffy you're a kook! I tried surfing a couple times in college on my buddy's 7'6" Gun and found it demoralizing and miserable. Which is why I didn't pick up surfing until after I lived smack on the coast for 5 years. I'll still break out the sponge every once in a while though I'm sure...it's just fun to be at eye level with the wave.
    Not as "cool", but fat skis weren't cool a while ago either. Things will come around. I think their biggest selling point is durability. It's like a hyndai vs. a hummer (army issue). On the little stuff of course. I can't speak to snapage, don't know anyone it's happened too. I've snapped glass though.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

The big thing against Surftech boards is that they are machine shaped. No customization and that's not going to change. Of course so are a bunch of the big name non-epoxy boards now like Rusty. My preference in boards changes faster than they wear out, but I don't surf potatoe chips.
    Elvis has left the building

I'll still break out the sponge every once in a while though I'm sure...it's just fun to be at eye level with the wave.
    fine

Nice and well put Tuffy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Helicrackjnky
    Nice and well put Tuffy!!
    Still, I'd sometimes rather be a chimp able to surf 12' swells than a kook getting worked by 2' faces...heh.

I love my 9' Challenger - especially on mornings like today when I wake up at 6 to check the report and it's flat. If it's flat again tomorrow, I may just take out the board on the local pond and paddle around. Waiting around all week thinking about surfing only have there be no waves is probably one of the cruelest things ever.

Of course, riding a short board in New Hampshire is only possible during storms or in the winter.

where in NH are you? I have a few friends who surf hampton+maine on a regular basis.

I'm not in NH - northern MA - but Rye and Hampton are not too far away.

Hey, that rhymes.