Page 30 of 98 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    today I started skinning at 4:45 lol, went up bowman to cabin run to the ridge. I have a good headlamp

(I usually roll out of bed around 4 to 4:15)
    You, sir, are one motivated skier. I'm impressed. I can get out of bed that early 3 or 4 times per season to go tackle something big that I've had on the list for a while. Can't imagine doing it pretty much daily, You're a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

Some impressive specimens for my upcoming coffee table book, Gnarled Trees of the Wasatch:

Attachment 264467
    If I was a tree, I think I'd be this tree. Excellent pics.

Need a thumbs up or down from the collective - I'm couch surfing in SLC next week with friends of a friend & want to be an A+ guest. Bringing local coffee, but thinking a gift card to a local brewpub would be the best leave-behind. I don't know them at all, so actual gifts are weird and a pub would be pretty universal. I read pieces of the "SLC eats" thread - Looks like Red Rock Brewing is a safe option, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    You, sir, are one motivated skier. I'm impressed. I can get out of bed that early 3 or 4 times per season to go tackle something big that I've had on the list for a while. Can't imagine doing it pretty much daily, You're a beast.
    well I have some external motivation in the form of a race this spring (a partners race I signed up for with a friend no less, so I can't really even bail) that I'm nowhere near in shape enough for so I've been trying to kick start the motor a bit hahaha. thanks though, I will admit there aren't many mornings when at some point the thought "what the fuck am I doing I could be in bed, also what was that sound, I bet it was a cougar" doesn't creep into my mind... makes me happy to be a part of this tribe of people who also get it. and should any of you suffer from insomnia at any point and need something to do at 4:45am on any given weekday... inbox is open

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunrise-monday.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	264555

Name:	sunrise-monday-2.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	264556

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Need a thumbs up or down from the collective - I'm couch surfing in SLC next week with friends of a friend & want to be an A+ guest. Bringing local coffee, but thinking a gift card to a local brewpub would be the best leave-behind. I don't know them at all, so actual gifts are weird and a pub would be pretty universal. I read pieces of the "SLC eats" thread - Looks like Red Rock Brewing is a safe option, yeah?
    I really like Red Rock and they have a couple locations, dunno where in the valley your hosts live but they should be able to make it to one of them I'd think.

Red Rocks is a safe bet, if they really like beers, and are close to downtown, TF or Fisher would be my two go to nods, but no food.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

One of these days I’m gonna pm mall walker and get up early. But the thought of that 4:00 alarm scares me still.

Wax the big sticks, Thursday night storm looks legit....

If I was a tree, I think I'd be this tree. Excellent pics.

Fisher is the hipper option with better beer but no food.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    got out yesterday
    took a crest bump up

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	264625
    n up

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	264626
    to the top

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	264622

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	264627
    down held variability but not to the point of suckages

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,011.7 KB 
ID:	264637
    headed back ups

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	264638
    gougie day

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	596.0 KB 
ID:	264641
    more downs that didnt suck

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	264642

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	780.1 KB 
ID:	264643

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	264644
    sum gotten

Name:	IMG_0950.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1,008.7 KB 
ID:	264645
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Shaping up to be a *kisses fingers* MLK weekend. Dropping in from MN on Saturday afternoon. Hitting LCC Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

Sounds like Red Rocks will work, and I can go dunk my hipster beard into some Fishers on my own. Thanks all. Fingers x'ed for too much snow to open everything over MLK. ;-)

I can go dunk my hipster beard into some Fishers on my own.
    While you're there, Kiitos, TF Brewing, Proper Brewing and Epic are all within about a mile, Kiitos and TF being just a couple blocks from Fisher (although in different directions) and worth hitting up for sure.

No pics this am due to oversleeping and then getting vaguely lost but it did start snowing lightly by around 7:30... bring it!

Get your work done today and tomorrow morning because it looks like it’s time to cash in some sick days.

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/utah

First wave of the storm moving through this afternoon.

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	264723

Name:	IMG_1464.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	876.0 KB 
ID:	264724

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    While you're there, Kiitos, TF Brewing, Proper Brewing and Epic are all within about a mile, Kiitos and TF being just a couple blocks from Fisher (although in different directions) and worth hitting up for sure.
    Thanks for the beta. Will add them to the list. Except for “Epic”, just because.

Thanks for the beta. Will add them to the list. Except for “Epic”, just because.

We need an Ikon brewery because it'd be betterer than Epic....

Holy fuckballs friday is shaping up... b at berd that is the word.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Looks like Friday and maybe Saturday going to have to pry my ass out of bed half an hour earlier to beat the LCC road closure. Wish this wasn't happening on MLK weekend, going to be a double SS.

Anyone else noticed the SL avalanche forecasts have been updated much later recently? I mean its 8 am now and we don't have the daily forecast for today yet?

I usually just call the dawn patrol hotline if I’m early. They’re usually pretty early with that.

nice morning... I was pretty surprised to not be breaking trail for the first ~1200' or so today despite starting at 4:45, but hey I'll take it. eventually my path diverged... above 8k' trailbreaking was tedious. steady snowfall and plenty of wind all morning. got some sluffing in steeper trees above 9500', and the new snow generally didn't seem very well bonded.

Name:	weds-jan-16-trailbreaking.JPG 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	264805

kind of sloggy trailbreaking

Name:	weds-jan-16-visibility-1.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	264806

visibility ranging from this ^

Name:	weds-jan-16-visibility.JPG 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	264807

^ to this, changing by the minute

Name:	weds-jan-16-turns-1.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	264808

skied deep and soft up high where protected and nice enough in the open to put a smile on my face anyway

Name:	exit-sneak.JPG 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	264809

but a ski cut right here got a shallow release that took all the snow from this whole exit shot here (~8700', WNW), down to that stand of aspens, kinda surprising I thought, kept getting wider as the slope widened. seemed like just the new snow, ~5" or so. pretty low consequence zone but touchier than I expected.
    Last edited by mall walker; 01-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I usually just call the dawn patrol hotline if I’m early. They’re usually pretty early with that.
    Forgot about that, thanks.

Already outperforming predictions, 9" at Pow Mow and counting.
    Montani Semper Liberi

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Assuming one were to drive down there tomorrow night, how early is early to head up LCC friday AM. Last two times I was there I was lucky enough to stay with a friend at GMD and we were interlodged when everyone was dealing with the canyon craziness. This was 10 years ago.

Like is heading up the canyon at 5am a thing?

I'd keep my optimism in check for getting up LCC Friday morning at all, lol. NWS saying 18-28" between 11am Thurs and 5pm Fri... I would be surprised if there wasn't a road closure at some point Friday morning (which I think are usually between 5am and 10am, or something like that?)

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah, I think last time I was down there it was like 18"+ overnight and the road didn't open until 10 or 11am....maybe even later.

I toured Grizzly Gulch this am. Anything which was over 30 degrees was breaking and sliding on the freeze crust just below. Be careful, it's going to get super sketchy with the next storm. I also had a buddy take a ride (the wrong kind) in bounds at Snowbird this morning near Mid-Gad.

Snowbird was fantastic this am. Nobody there, and 4" forecast but 10" delivered didn't suck!