Views:	66 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	276928

couldn't let you guys have all the fun up there

bit crusty below ~9k' tho...

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    That's a fucking dope group of photos brutah
    3rded.

Damn, it looks like we should've had a mini maggot meetup in Mineral on Saturday. Great minds think alike?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Saturday was good, Sunday was better. Overall great weekend. On a side note, we skied mambo no around 1 pm on Saturday but we probably weren't the group bossai is talking about as we didn't ski it with drones and we're the second group to drop it....
    Nice work, that's a proper weekend man, great shots!

The dudes I watched on Mongo definitely dropped earlier but there's plenty of room up there and it looks like you took full advantage of it. Not sure why I've never skied that shot, I'm somewhat obsessed with Santiago which I find very aesthetically pleasing but Mongo is steeper with better fall line. The heli is up there a bunch though and skunked me a few times...
    Where was the snowline in Little/Big Willow? Last time I looked it seemed like dirt all the way into Big Willow, quite the slog... Did you exit Bells? Wonder how much of a beating that took, I had another stupid vision in there but I dread the exit.
    Last question: is the cliff finally gone in the E couloir? Wonder if it's going to go straight from the summit to the apron this year...

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    3rded.
    Damn, it looks like we should've had a mini maggot meetup in Mineral on Saturday. Great minds think alike?
    There were a lot of small parties ticking cool shots in the drainage, fun to see people well distributed instead of on top of each other. We topped out Kessler and had 3 parties on our tail, chatted with everyone for a minute at the top and everyone went their own way, some back to an inexplicably untouched Greaseball, others to the W couloir, one party in the E couloir, and my buddy and I over to the S chute. I love it when you get to look around for a while and everyone is taking it in instead of busy quickly getting ready to drop without talking to anyone about their plan.

Appreciate the comments about my photos

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The dudes I watched on Mongo definitely dropped earlier but there's plenty of room up there and it looks like you took full advantage of it. Not sure why I've never skied that shot, I'm somewhat obsessed with Santiago which I find very aesthetically pleasing but Mongo is steeper with better fall line. The heli is up there a bunch though and skunked me a few times...
    Where was the snowline in Little/Big Willow? Last time I looked it seemed like dirt all the way into Big Willow, quite the slog... Did you exit Bells? Wonder how much of a beating that took, I had another stupid vision in there but I dread the exit.
    Last question: is the cliff finally gone in the E couloir? Wonder if it's going to go straight from the summit to the apron this year...
    Mongo is a quick bump from the bottom of the room of doom if you ever are going big to little

Saturday was a $1000 dollar day as we watched the powderbirds fly around us and ski slopes we didn't want to. I thought of a new slogan for them, "Powderbirds: heliskiing with poor people everywhere!"

we were skinning in little willow and across the face back into big willow, pretty much where I remember it being a few years back. maybe a mile-ish of walking.

exited bell's canyon, which I wasn't stoked about. Fun skiing for a second, but if we were a little earlier there are some short bumps that put you in a different canyon with an easier exit. Got my first round of spring skiing questions from the hiking crowd so we had that going for us as we exited bell's. "there is in fact skiing up in bell's canyon and yes, it was really good"

Cliff is still there. Looked huckable.... Exit was certainly different from what I remember when I skied it last in 2017.

3rded.

It certainly can be a nice part of the Wasangles when you get to run into friends on the slopes. Comraderie was very high on saturday and people were stoked! Now if those friends would stop tracking out everything.......

noice stuff there brutah!!!
    i love how this thread has a gaggle of folks posting quality content. keep on shining wasatch tribe+++

What is the word on the south face of Mt Superior? e.g. this weekend? Snow is in forecast, but changes rapidly.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Snowbird/6day/mid

^ it’s fat and it’s april? go early. watch out for new snow / wind problems.

Thanks. Avy forecast looks calm. Anybody interested in doing that? Or have the ins?

Looking to use my final tix for Alta and Snowbird. I have been looking at that face since I skied at the resorts when I was a kid. Good season this year.

I could put in some work skiing at the resorts with some people to meet, greet, and get to know. Earlier this year I, skied the resorts on chop, and just admired the surroundings without tracks. Got a gear and AIARE 1 course.

Fun times at snowbird today, vis was mostly shit snowriding was mostly good. It's not often I don't know exactly where I am up there, but today between the coverage being so good and the lack of sight, I had a moment where I came out the bottom of something and said, huh, didn't expect to wind up here. Nice to have an empty mountain. Particularly cuz most anything steep slid from patrol or slid as soon as you got on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5810.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	277153

I know I’m stupid for even hoping otherwise, but west porter was a war zone of wet activity. Terrible skiing as well, but 18”+ on the road at 6k’ in April doesn’t suck.

I watched that from the Hanyak area. They had a drone flying over, I'd like to see the footage pop up somewhere.
    Video is on Instagram, user: Jimmy_Utah

Quote Originally Posted by mae42b View Post
    Video is on Instagram, user: Jimmy_Utah
    nice!

was not like that up there today. enormous wet debris pile below santiago, although loads of other stuff had slid as well

Name:	20190404-01.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	277205

getoutside slogging up the debris

Name:	20190404-02.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	277206

at least the views were nice

Name:	20190404-02.5.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	277207

Name:	20190404-03.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	277208

below 9k' the new snow had already frozen and was supportable (at least very early), above 9k' (up to ~10.5k' N/NE) it was breakable crust. gonna get warm again today too...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    below 9k' the new snow had already frozen and was supportable (at least very early), above 9k' (up to ~10.5k' N/NE) it was breakable crust. gonna get warm again today too...
    Similar observations from Porter this AM. Very fast travel on completely seized-up new snow, just breakable enough to sidehill comfortably. Cornices are larger than I've ever seen them, it would take a 60m cord to cut some of them and they'd clear a new path when falling.
    We hung out on top of Gobbs for over an hour waiting for things to soften up on S and E aspects but the clouds prevented anything beyond a very marginal thaw of the upper 1/8" of death crust. Great place to shoot the shit when you know you're about to have your first bad ski run of the year and are delaying the inevitable. Devastation was observed on all aspects and elevations, either from wet activity or new snow sliding on the crusts, producing some serious debris piles. West Porter is obliterated, can't imagine how piss poor In-Between must have skied. The Gobbs centerpunch was character-building with just enough breakable crust to make each turn a serious move with high potential for a slide-for-life. Things were softening up nicely below 9k as evidenced by a family of post-holing moose looking rather unimpressed with our rattling noises. By the time we hit the Porter road it was a sticky mess. Scenic at least and it gets the legs moving!

Name:	IMG_20190404_083018.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	277224

Similar observations from Porter this AM. Very fast travel on completely seized-up new snow, just breakable enough to sidehill comfortably. Cornices are larger than I've ever seen them, it would take a 60m cord to cut some of them and they'd clear a new path when falling.
    We hung out on top of Gobbs for over an hour waiting for things to soften up on S and E aspects but the clouds prevented anything beyond a very marginal thaw of the upper 1/8" of death crust. Great place to shoot the shit when you know you're about to have your first bad ski run of the year and are delaying the inevitable. Devastation was observed on all aspects and elevations, either from wet activity or new snow sliding on the crusts, producing some serious debris piles. West Porter is obliterated, can't imagine how piss poor In-Between must have skied. The Gobbs centerpunch was character-building with just enough breakable crust to make each turn a serious move with high potential for a slide-for-life. Things were softening up nicely below 9k as evidenced by a family of post-holing moose looking rather unimpressed with our rattling noises. By the time we hit the Porter road it was a sticky mess. Scenic at least and it gets the legs moving!

Name:	IMG_20190404_083018.jpg 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	277224
    One of the season's best ob.
    You one of them writer fellas?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    One of the season's best ob.
    You one of them writer fellas?
    Ha! Foreigner's complex man, between proper Engrish being beat into me from the age of 10 and anxiety at the thought of not being understood I have developed a rather verbose style. I'm working on a climbing guidebook with a friend and the difference in style is hilarious, he's all about the 2-line description and I can write an epic paragraph for every 50' crappy route I've put up.

No obs today as I was worried about losing the rest of my teeth to the chatter. I know for a fact that mallwalker the glutton skied a great summer trail and probably had his best day of the season so far

I know for a fact that mallwalker the glutton skied a great summer trail and probably had his best day of the season so far
    lol. I was thinking about Drom but overslept quite a bit, then figured fuck it, I'd see what the Mill B South egress was like for the weekend. I probably should've just used my imagination.

Still, looking good up high...

Name:	drom.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	292.8 KB 
ID:	277380

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Mill B South egress
    Aka the great punishment.
    I exit via MillB if I'm shredding Broads and want to do an extra E facing shot before dealing with the beat down on the summer trail. Both forks are equally heinous to get out of, it's really a matter of picking the condiments on the shit sandwich you're about to consume! If I'm already in MillB I usually hop over to Mineral to get a bonus Santago/Mongo... unless everything is crusted into oblivion as seen this week.

yeah Mineral would've been the call. crust or not, at least it goes to the car still

Mineral Fork ski out last Sunday was pretty pleasant, as ski outs go. No Singing Pass Trail-type torture! We were expecting a little walking required at some point, but no.

quiet morning out there with Boissal

Name:	20190406-02.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	277480

visibility was in and out, but when it was in, we noticed this ramp...

Name:	theramp.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	277481

Name:	20190406-03.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	277484

Name:	20190406-05.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	277482

visibility improved

Name:	20190406-07.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	277483

it's pretty big exposure and there are some rocks in the upper half that force you out skiers left

Name:	20190406-08.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	277485

line of the year for me maybe

heard there was a fixed line in the heart, but someone pulled it I guess... consolation prize was another nice (albeit much tamper) ramp, visibility deteriorating by the minute

Name:	20190406-12.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	277486

Name:	20190406-15.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	277487

if you find yourself at the top of the room with this view, wondering if this one goes, it does not

saw zero other evidence of human life until some very late starters on our way out

This is a little tardy, but Thursday in Upper White Pine, the skiing was pretty darn good. When I started it was way too warm, and I expected damp, sticky snow (had my scraper and skin wax handy for quick deployment) with likely nothing enjoyable on the way down. By the time I reached the basin below the Red Baldy Apron it was super flat light, and I talked to 2 skiers (the only 2 people I saw all day) who had just skied down the apron that was covered with a significant amount of wet snow avalanche debris from a few days earlier though fairly dried out by Thursday, and they both said they were having trouble with vertigo (both ended up falling on a gentle part of the slope). But -- they said the skiing was actually pretty good. After they left I doubted their claim about good snow. However, I made it all the way up to West Pass above Glacier Bowl (http://wbskiing.com/3509), and by then the sun came out intermittently and it was actually very wintery like weather. To my joyous surprise, the downhill skiing was actually very, very nice. I called it "creamed corn", and it lasted for a 1.5 mile 2,000' run down to the meadow at the West side of the creek at about 8,600'. Below that it was "ugly" sort of like "suction cup city". But, the ski run above there was well worth it to me.

P.S. Because it was very overcast all during my uphill climb with no sun I never had to scrape my skins nor apply skin wax. On my downhill run I never had snow stick to my skis because I applied a fresh coat of wax before leaving home. If I hadn't done so, I'm pretty sure I would have had some snow sticking to my skis when I went through "suction cup city" on the lower 1,000' of downhill.

I have a few more photos posted at https://lhitchner.smugmug.com/Skiing...-April-4-2019/

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	277511

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	277512

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	277513
    Last edited by lhitchner; 04-07-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Ha! Foreigner's complex man, between proper Engrish being beat into me from the age of 10 and anxiety at the thought of not being understood I have developed a rather verbose style. I'm working on a climbing guidebook with a friend and the difference in style is hilarious, he's all about the 2-line description and I can write an epic paragraph for every 50' crappy route I've put up.

No obs today as I was worried about losing the rest of my teeth to the chatter. I know for a fact that mallwalker the glutton skied a great summer trail and probably had his best day of the season so far
    You and mw bringing the stoke!
    I'll buy your book for the writing...and the stoke...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Fun day on the Pfeifferhorn albeit firm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Fun day on the Pfeifferhorn albeit firm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

omg /SICK! thinking of adding an Ice Ax to your pack????
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz