Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I realize that this is a ridiculous question, but: anyone been up there lately, anything still go with remotely decent coverage? Saturday’s my birthday and I’ve never managed to ski on it before, so I’m contemplating bringing the rock skis up just for the novelty...

Happy birthday Mark!

I haven't had the urge to go skiing on rocks and grass this year so no idea on coverage. The mountain biking has been pretty damn good lately tho

went up wednesday thinking about corn but the likely spots were still the same breakable crust as the rest of the hill. plenty of coverage and good ski compaction in the usual 30 ft wide corridor from the bottom of the shoulder to the base. I have a summer birthday and if I had coverage like this I would absolutely go up for a lap. you'll have fun even if you snowplow down from the top of the kitty.

Bump.

Eating my hopes for continued snowfall.
    Oh well.
    Anybody done any digging? Seems like the warm temps haven't done too much damage?
    Cold front in a few days...come on now.
    Maybe we should have burned some fluorocarbons the other night.
    At least the warm temps have allowed other pursuits...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

I was up in Mineral fork, yesterday.

Name:  snowline.jpg
Views: 3743
Size:  134.6 KB

Snowline is around 8500'.

Name:  tracks.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  93.3 KB

The snow is capped by a crust of variable strength and thickness, Support also varies.

Name:  rod.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  114.1 KB

Point releases during warming were the only observed instabilities. Faceting not an issue.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    went to ussw
    didnt seem nearly as crowded as last but better venue reguardless
    Weather: their guess is probably based on better knowledge than yours
    but still a guess

Issw update; i found the possible inclusion of cpr/ist aid to avvy i interesting and not a bad idea
    but how do you add a certification that requires proof of compitance with one that doesnt?

Subjective risk perception; Good stuff although everyones risk perception and tolerances differ, mine day to day

Say What words of estimated probibility; good history in the fbi's changes but i still dont get the reliance or usefulness of a one word descriptive adjetives to describe mountain travel or risk
    went lookin for the dancin snowflakes emoji cause it and wow pics make me smile but found this gem instead
    Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    My preference would be to end the emphasis on "hazard" rating. The terms are relative to the point of being almost meaningless at times.
    If it snows six inches and the wind blows, the "hazard" will often jump to considerable even though the pre-existing snow was stable, without weak layering. Managing the subjective "hazard" can be accomplished, for the most part, by ski cuts.
    If it snows the same six inches with wind on a snow cover already burdened with load or persistent weak layering, the same "considerable" hazard rating is given even though conditions are much different and difficult to manage. The "hazard" and consequences of that hazard are greater even though the labeling remains unchanged.
    Same with the compilation of statistics.
    Looking at ten year period examples:
    The eighties, for example, had low fatality rates, but the avi centers were lobbying for more money to keep those figures low.
    The nineties, fatalities rose, even with better funding, so damn, we need increased funds because people are dying.
    Weather and snow are the decision makers and recreators should learn how to manage based on those changes, not whatever someone decides the hazard is.
    and of course the worst metaphor of "if i told you you had a considerable chance of going into a bar and being shot....
    when the more truthful metaphore is "you can go into a bar considerably full of guntoting pissed off redknecks mind your p's and q's behave and youll probably have a considerable chance of walkin out fine"
    might even get laid

there is a new online avalaunche edjumacation platform aint checked it out but it has pros

the guru and the bro a winter review
    almost had the dj bobblehead manbun flip flop bingo
    as there was a shirtless picture, buttwiggle pics, smoked by an avvy and dragons in the basment got said a dozen times
    but i had the glimmer twins instead of frampton for the soundtrack
    entertaining and the "why do you make so many damn turns bro" tied er all togather

woodys provo mountain talk was excellent

PI's account of the silver fork incident was also excellent and i may just renew my pow mag subscription to read the letter
    props it takes a lot to git up in front of peeps and talk about incidents

i safetybreaked the weak layered and structured enigma talk but perhaps one of the mags that were there can cliff note it
    quality lunch

Decisions decisions; The east castle is inbounds at alta
    whouda not thunk

Female decision making: chicks ftw best most thought provoking presentation for me and the emotion focus decision circle/interaction is something i work on fuck i should try yoga
    group dynamics while not really teachable imo as it almost always changes due to our human traits and behaviors is hudge
    as is risk tolerances and aversion

Avalaunche "accidents" and there effects on family actually; only 4% would be catogorized as such in that clues to instabilites were present is another tidbit i lernted, was strong and powerful props to those guys
    and the only 4% of people who loose everything in disasters give up and move on stat is great especially in the how can you continue to pursue the passions that took your family member context
    and props to the uac as their work to get the edjucation gear and knowledge work with this set of bc recreation users has been great stuff

the story of the big red cat incident was also great
    and who knew nohow was "sensitive as fuck" as well as dexterous
    great presentation
    free brograine samples woulda made it even better
    kudos to those who made it happen again
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^^^
    Thanks for the recap. Wish I coulda made it but was babysitting 3 furry friends and rolling pebbles around the resort.
    Sounds like another worthwhile USAW.
    Really like that Woody fellow.
    C'mon by...the pebbles are getting bigger!

Took a walk up Alta today and found 6" of dense cream up top. Surprisingly fun turns! Hopefully these next few storms over-deliver as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^ jealous!! looks pretty good

Since I bothered to kick down to the ground in my favorite meadow (LCC, 8800 ft, North facing):

------- fist...........................2 inches graupel
    --------------- 1 finger.........1.5 inch crust from the rain/rime/wet snow event of early AM 11/2. affected top half of 11/1 storm snow
    ------- fist............................1.5 inches cold medium/high density snow (11/1 storm)
    --------------- 1 finger..........1.5 inch crust
    --------
    --------fist............................6-8 inches of damp snow
    --------
    --------

No layers activated after placement of a Black Cat firecracker on 32 degree test slope
    Last edited by Lone Star; 11-05-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Since I bothered to kick down to the ground in my favorite meadow (LCC, 8800 ft, North facing):

------- fist...........................2 inches graupel
    --------------- 1 finger.........1.5 inch crust from the rain/rime/wet snow event of early AM 11/2. affected top half of 11/1 storm snow
    ------- fist............................11.5 inches cold medium/high density snow (11/1 storm)
    --------------- 1 finger..........1.5 inch crust
    --------
    --------fist............................6-8 inches of damp snow
    --------
    --------

No layers activated after placement of a Black Cat firecracker on 32 degree test slope
    Isn't the Funland meadow higher than 8800'?
    Get any construction done?
    Kidding...thanks for the report!
    M80's are the ticket...

oops.. that was supposed to be 1.5 inches between the crust layers.

with this sunshine in the forecast construction may indeed start... on the bar and picnic table so we can drink beer and read a book until it decides to snow for real!

Took a stroll up to tombstone trees on Sunday, Total snowpack is approx knee deep. Riding conditions on a stout crust. Toe - boot deep mostly. No instabilities noted. FNKA!!! So much stoke.
    Shout out to Conner who was heading up to main chute on his splitboard.

Pic of the current snowpack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patrol Shack Top of Collins.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	254293

Pre-T-Day Stoke!

Season shaping up to be stellar, Day 5 done before thanksgiving. Tour was up collins and ski was off baldy shoulder. Saw about 10 people ski main chute and about 50+ people skiing down the collins groomer, must've ran the lift for sometime because the people I saw coming down were not the folks who looked like they could hike up. Snow depth was just about 120CM on NW facing baldy aspect. Cheers and pray for snow!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	411.4 KB 
ID:	255140

Yeah skied pretty dang good yesterday up there. 4-5 inches. Definitely some questionable people hiking beyond Collins with kids and no gear.

I don't think they were letting strangers ride the lift the past few days.....? What elevation was your Baldy pit? I dug a hole not too far below Main Chute and I can't imagine I saw much more than 60 cm on the ground, if that.

If high boy and lone pine were that threatening to the base area groomers, they would probably also be threatening the buildings and parking lot, and thus be controlled. It probably wouldn't take a whole lot of walking up corkscrew to no longer look like someone who couldn't hike up.

I drove through Alta's parking lot on Saturday afternoon on the way to using my free night at the Cliff. It looked like half the plates were out of state, first year dishwashers from the East gettin' after it.

Alta closed to uphill traffic beginning tomorrow 11/13. Fun while it lasted

Anyone been up gw recently? Enough left for some early morning fitness laps?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowtimer14 View Post
    Season shaping up to be stellar, Day 5 done before thanksgiving. Tour was up collins and ski was off baldy shoulder. Saw about 10 people ski main chute and about 50+ people skiing down the collins groomer, must've ran the lift for sometime because the people I saw coming down were not the folks who looked like they could hike up. Snow depth was just about 120CM on NW facing baldy aspect. Cheers and pray for snow!
    Dude, If your looking for work, I bet Snowbird would give you a job doing the mid mountain measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post

Anyone been up gw recently? Enough left for some early morning fitness laps?
    I'll let you know tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by WasatchFlatlander View Post
    Dude, If your looking for work, I bet Snowbird would give you a job doing the mid mountain measurements.
    Funny.

Bright-ON... Thursday...Majestic. Time to rock the man-made ribbon
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post
    I got all the Alta beta, eh mall walker?

Whose in for Brighton Opening Day? Going to be up there for some afternoon laps. Blue Blizzard Cochise and Purple coat if you catch me up there.

Certainly not a pow day, but there is something special about ripping lift service corduroy before Thanksgiving
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix