Page 15 of 98 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Looks like the approval went through today for the Alta "improvements" including baldy tram, new wildcat, new sunnyside, Flora lift, etc.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/ww...T3_4499597.pdf
    That is a big laundry list. If past experience is an indicator this will be completed in an orderly fashion over many years.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    I used it all weekend after eschewing UTA public trans previous seasons. I was shocked at the relative ease at finding a spot at the LCC PnR lot and didn't wait longer than 10 min for a bus all weekend. Don't have winter tires on yet and very few things would damage my TGR E-Cred more than sliding off LCC on all season tires. Until Spring Tailgating season hits, UTA all the way
    You got lucky as the schedule is every 15 minutes before 9:00 AM and after 3:00 PM, 30 minutes in between. Bus is great when its not crowded, during the week, non holidays and non-powder days. Problem is as soon as something happens, snow, accidents, back ups on Wasatch Blvd & Little Cottonwood Canyon Rd or road closures then things get more than a little sketchy. Nothing worse than waiting for a bus at the end of a big day that's two hrs late and you get to stand up for a long ride down packed shoulder to shoulder.

I don't know what the answer is for the above scenarios, more buses don't help a bit when buses can't get up the canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Was it at Brighton?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...would-you.html

Such a overly dramatic video....I thought they were going to chase Lane Meyer for their $2 at the start because of the way it was edited.
    Yeah, there's a lot of them at Brighton. Occasionally they'll venture into Milly Bowl or the few other zones at the B with sustained pitch and whenever I've seen it it's pretty comical. If Rogatkin and Boggs look like Jerrys on those things I think it's fair to say the sport's potential is limited. If I see someone in the future legitimately ripping expert terrain on one I'll eat my shorts. That said, if my knees were shot and the alternative was sitting at home I'd give it a whirl.

Looks like the approval went through today for the Alta "improvements" including baldy tram, new wildcat, new sunnyside, Flora lift, etc.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/ww...T3_4499597.pdf
    Was going to post that. Sucks about the tram, but now that Snowbird's restaurant has ruined the skyline from any peak in a 5-mile radius, whatthefuckever, I guess. Enjoy the 'Ho while you can....

Sounds like North Ogden residents came out in force against the Nordic Valley expansion last night.
    https://fox13now.com/2018/12/03/many...of-ski-resort/

SE through SW aspects picked up a little heat today noted on Grizz around 3p.
    Control work ripped a 4'+ crown on the Baldy Shoulder and Glory Hole went to the ground.

Think light thoughts

How lucky are we?

Brother in law was at Brighton today. Supposedly Milly will soft open on Thursday. Haven't confirmed this, though it won't make muh if a difference for me as I won't be up until the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    SE through SW aspects picked up a little heat today noted on Grizz around 3p.
    Control work ripped a 4'+ crown on the Baldy Shoulder and Glory Hole went to the ground.

Think light thoughts

How lucky are we?
    very lucky

skied some trees by headlamp in single digit temps tonight after work and damn it was worth it. face shots in the dark... life is good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	258618

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Unfortunately it seems they refuse to write tickets. Could it be the resorts don't want the authorities to screw with customers?
    I would say at the heart of the matter yes. As someone who rents a vehicle at the SLC airport 5-6 times a winter, I have yet to ever have an SUV with snow tires. Yes they are AWD/4x4 but most of your average tourist may not even opt for that when given the price difference between a Malibu rental or an AWD SUV. So they chug over to PC in relative safety on a sunny day and head over to BCC/LCC very underprepared for the difference in weather, grade etc

^ some great picts folks. 24 degrees, light winds and a skiff of snow to aid on the up this am. couple of west facing runs were a blast, south facing exit getting effected by the sun.

Name:	first.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	885.7 KB 
ID:	258660

Name:	second.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	874.6 KB 
ID:	258661

Name:	third.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	838.4 KB 
ID:	258662

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I would say at the heart of the matter yes. As someone who rents a vehicle at the SLC airport 5-6 times a winter, I have yet to ever have an SUV with snow tires. Yes they are AWD/4x4 but most of your average tourist may not even opt for that when given the price difference between a Malibu rental or an AWD SUV. So they chug over to PC in relative safety on a sunny day and head over to BCC/LCC very underprepared for the difference in weather, grade etc
    So you think the UHP met with all the ski resorts and worked out a deal so the resorts make more money? They won't check tires, but also they have to clean up all the accidents due to agreeing to look the other way. That makes no sense.

Someone needs to ask what's the deal to a UHPO next time they see one

the general Western "Don't tread on me" attitude combined with the state's lack of concern for outdoor recreation?

The cops don't want to get out of their SUVs. The guy at the mouth of lcc on snowbird's opening day looked so fucking pissed off.

They just don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    The cops don't want to get out of their SUVs. The guy at the mouth of lcc on snowbird's opening day looked so fucking pissed off.

They just don't give a fuck.
    honestly I think it's this. they have no problem writing speeding/parking tickets on sunny days.

So you think the UHP met with all the ski resorts and worked out a deal so the resorts make more money? They won't check tires, but also they have to clean up all the accidents due to agreeing to look the other way. That makes no sense.

I sent an email to the Town of Alta Mayor last season asking about UPD not checking vehicles at the mouth of the canyon. Would be happy to share his entire reply but what he said was UPD does have money to station a squad to check vehicles. Also he said there is no place to turn vehicles around so this would result in even longer delays.

What makes no sense is they checked vehicles for years and last year they pretty much disappeared after the first weekend when they were actually looking at tires.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    honestly I think it's this. they have no problem writing speeding/parking tickets on sunny days.
    I suspect the danger for cops increases substantially on storm days. You know when they are helping people that slid off the side of the road or rear ended someone on the freeway and some other jack ass slides into them. its an issue that is yet to be resolved but I'm not sure ticketing and having someone checking every car is the solution. But I highly doubt the issue is the laziness of the police force.

south facing already sun affected? damn

In san diego for the next few days enjoying the rain here before it becomes the next little refresh. Missing POW skiing already though

skied white snake this morning. Definitely a crust on most south faces but where the slope curved SE, we still found soft snow. Tube was also money.

Saw a couple of bull moose on the way up. Dudes were bootpacking and pooping in the skinner. Bad moose

Name:	IMG_20181205_070433.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	258685

Name:	IMG_20181205_085934.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	258684

Name:	IMG_20181205_112702_886.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	258686

Actually there's a road meeting every month. With resorts, uhp, udot, town of Alta all participating. So could be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Went up bear trap this afternoon for a few laps. Found some nice snow.

Name:	IMG_3252.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	494.5 KB 
ID:	258698

^ how’s the entrance/exit?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ^ how’s the entrance/exit?
    Not too bad. A few sharks but the snow is soft and they’re easy to dodge. It’ll probably be a full luge track by this weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Actually there's a road meeting every month. With resorts, uhp, udot, town of Alta all participating. So could be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Anything’s possible but out of the deal highway patrol gets nothing good. Seems llike a dumb ski bum conspiracy theory. Next you are you going to say they are going to stop pulling over drunk drivers so local bars can make more money.

Wait...... how many donuts are at these meetings exactly?

More important question is are they open to the public? If so, we show up en masse.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

More important question is are they open to the public? If so, we show up en masse.

Would they be covered by open meeting regs?

nice morning, finally met up with getoutside for a tour, good times mang

still skiing fluffy

Name:	eastbowl-blurry.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	258749

Name:	eastbowl-tracks.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	258750

Name:	getoutside-eastbowl.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	258751

getcha some while the gettin is still good... bit variable on the southern stuff, some slight zipper crust, some pow, some meh, west facing skiing great.

I talked to a patroller at Brighton this morning, and word is that Milli will open today. He reminded me that hiking is only allowed up to the dam, at which point you're supposed to exit the resort and head towards Twin Lakes (I forgot).