Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98
Results 2,426 to 2,438 of 2438
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    what's the point in a law that's not enforced?
    All seasons on all rentals. The cluster fuck will continue unabated.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    All seasons on all rentals. The cluster fuck will continue unabated.
    ^^^this
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

This is so fucking stupid I want to jamb a pencil in my neck. UDOT updated the new road policy for tires due to the confusion that was generated by the first one they posted. I cut and pasted this with some editing to keep it fairly simple.

Two-wheel drive vehicles will be allowed on weather-restricted canyon roads if those vehicles have certain rated tires.

“It’s a new option for drivers of front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive vehicles to be able to utilize certain mountain roadways within the state,” said Sgt. Street.

Drivers will know if they have the right tire if it has a three-peak mountain snowflake logo on it. These tires have better tread and patterns than a standard all-season tire, which allows drivers to have more control during snowy and rainy conditions.

“The whole objective here is to just make sure that everyone is getting to where they’re going as safely as possible,” said UDOT spokesman John Gleason. That means if 2-wheel drive vehicles stay on roads where winter restrictions aren’t in place, then the driver doesn’t have to have mountain snowflake tires on the car. The M+S or M/S tires are still acceptable for 4-wheel drive vehicles on weather-restricted roads. Chains are still acceptable for 2-wheel drive vehicles to drive on weather-restricted roads and canyons.

“If you don’t want to get that tire (mountain snowflake tires), you can just carry chains like you used to do and nothing has changed with that,” Street said.

According to Street, many callers to UHP Thursday afternoon were from people worried about the Class B misdemeanor penalty listed on UDOT’s website for those 2-wheel drivers who attempt to drive on weather-restricted roads without chains or snow tires. A Class B misdemeanor in Utah carries the potential of a $1,000 fine and/or six months in jail.

So this is less stringent than the previous policy of four wheel drive or chains. How is this going to improve travel in LCC & BCC? I have a four wheel drive that had M + S tires, I didn't believe they were adequate so I replaced them with 3PMSF. IMO two wheel drive with two 3PMSF tires is not going to be an improvement over the previous regulation. Continues to convince me they are trying to make things worse to encourage a big ticket solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    They need to put a smart blanket policy for both Canyons November thorough April
    4/AWD or chains ( in the car if not needed on)
    I cannot tell you the number of times tourists rent the cheapest rental they can find to get up to the Canyon from whatever limited service place they found in Sandy or even to get to lodgeing at the resorts.

Never forget some D bag bragging to me @ Solitude how he "beat the storm" in his compact rental to get up to the Inn @ Solitude. Typical Utah it puked for days and he got angry he couldnt get back down the canyon to get his flight. if memory serves Ill advised strategy and I wouldnt even dig him out ( outdoor parking for Inn Guests, good times) as there was no way he could logically, legally or realistically drive that car to the airport that day
    this^ who has time to check every tire headed up the canyon

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    This is so fucking stupid I want to jamb a pencil in my neck.
    This is undoubtedly insane. But, also meaningless since previous 4WD/Chains restrictions weren't enforced anyway?

On the rare occasions UPD is at the mouth of the canyon they would turn around the obvious violators, Camry's, Accord's, Malibu's mini vans etc. Now they can't even do that without checking every vehicles tires.

UPD: "To Observe and Ignore".

Curious, anyone know if they write tickets when a violating vehicle gets stuck, ends up in a ditch or causes an accident?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    On the rare occasions UPD is at the mouth of the canyon they would turn around the obvious violators, Camry's, Accord's, Malibu's mini vans etc. Now they can't even do that without checking every vehicles tires.

UPD: "To Observe and Ignore".

Curious, anyone know if they write tickets when a violating vehicle gets stuck, ends up in a ditch or causes an accident?
    never personally seen one given or much less even heard of one given. I know there are many many reports of folks in Alta lot bringing it to the Sheriffs attention when cars in the lot were obviously not supposed to be there. Its often met with a thank you and a shrug.

I agree with everyone saying this policy won't be enforced but agree with it in theory because snow tires are underrated and 4WD is overrated.

I don’t know if it’s because of the bitching here and elsewhere about cars going up the canyon but I finally broke down and bought a SUV because of all the tailgating vigilantes. My cars always have snow tires and I have friends for 4WD only days but there’s almost always somebody during the winter season in a truck who has to slow waaaay down for the turns but then speeds up on the straights to ride your bumper until the next curve.

If you’re driving up and down the canyons on non-powder days it’s the trucks that jam things up. A car can maintain the speed limit +5mph, including most of the curves, whereas trucks breaking for turns inevitably creates an accordion effect for everyone else.

Over-braking to slow down then speeding up again is the real enemy. Tourists in rentals followed by people driving vehicles with high centers of gravity are going to do that regardless of tires, regardless of 2WD, AWD, or 4WD.

So does this mean all the rental sedans / 2WD will have 3PMSF tires? I doubt it , rental cars companies will make a fortune upgrading people to SUV’s. I can see the signs at the counters telling people they won’t be allowed up or down without an 4WD.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    never personally seen one given or much less even heard of one given. I know there are many many reports of folks in Alta lot bringing it to the Sheriffs attention when cars in the lot were obviously not supposed to be there. Its often met with a thank you and a shrug.
    Two years ago a gaper wearing Rx specs had a hell of a time getting up LCC with an Outback and four George Kostanza BALD tires. Acquaintance who was behind me called Town Marshall, nothing, na da. Road closed during the day, watched him from GMD BAR get pushed up the hill from Wildcat parking lot past a deputy. I was more curious if UPD ever does anything when there are incidents.

Y'all put a lot of faith in snow tires. This may come as shocking to many of you, but I've seen cars slide off roads and get in accidents with 4wd and snow tires.

I don't think enforcing snow tires and 4wd does anything but slow people down at the mouths of the canyons as they head up, which seems to contribute to the cluster fuck

^^
    I agree. Gapers gona gape.

Its snowing and there is a goodly amount on the ground up yonder. I image there is somebody skiing Superior right now so I went and made a 19-20 thread.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=330319
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?