Page 67 of 98 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2438
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
    Not what I'm suggesting at all. It's odd that all of these resorts did not have the data a month ago and happened to all get the ability to analyze at the same time and come to the same conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Exactly. Straight from the horse's mouth in early/mid Feb - Alta doesn't have the ability right now to calculate the increase in skier visits specifically due to the ikon pass. And then comes out with a number that is unclear, and likely made the stats look the way they wanted them to.

"Snowfall across the nation has brought skiers out in force. While skier visits to Alta show a double-digit increase over last season, we are currently only 6% ahead of the 16-17 ski season. Our day and multi-day ticket visits are down significantly this season due to the migration of many of our skiers to the Ikon Pass. Our net increase in skier visits from the Ikon Pass is currently running roughly 3%. Our largest increase in skier visits is coming from local pass holders whose visits are up 13% compared to the prior season. With that said, powder is our greatest commodity and we applaud our local pass holders for enjoying this year’s plentiful powder days."

They directly compare total skier numbers this year to 16/17 - 6% ahead. Fine.
    They directly compare local skier numbers this year to 17/18 - 13% ahead (due to snowfall). Fine.
    They compare, with no specific baseline or year listed, that Ikon visits are a 3% net increase.........from what? Clearly not 17/18 as that is a low number. Probably 16/17 as that is a higher number.

But pretty incongruous to compare one stat to one year, one stat to another year, and one stat to nothing at all. I guess that's marketing BS 101 though. And that's not to mention all resorts with the same line of thought during the same week.

I strike up conversations with pretty much everyone on the chairs I ride on (like everyone else). Every ride there is an Ikon passholder (this is Snowbird). I don't know who they think they are fooling with those single digit % #s.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Exactly. Straight from the horse's mouth in early/mid Feb - Alta doesn't have the ability right now to calculate the increase in skier visits specifically due to the ikon pass. And then comes out with a number that is unclear, and likely made the stats look the way they wanted them to.

"Snowfall across the nation has brought skiers out in force. While skier visits to Alta show a double-digit increase over last season, we are currently only 6% ahead of the 16-17 ski season. Our day and multi-day ticket visits are down significantly this season due to the migration of many of our skiers to the Ikon Pass. Our net increase in skier visits from the Ikon Pass is currently running roughly 3%. Our largest increase in skier visits is coming from local pass holders whose visits are up 13% compared to the prior season. With that said, powder is our greatest commodity and we applaud our local pass holders for enjoying this year’s plentiful powder days."

They directly compare total skier numbers this year to 16/17 - 6% ahead. Fine.
    They directly compare local skier numbers this year to 17/18 - 13% ahead (due to snowfall). Fine.
    They compare, with no specific baseline or year listed, that Ikon visits are a 3% net increase.........from what? Clearly not 17/18 as that is a low number. Probably 16/17 as that is a higher number.

But pretty incongruous to compare one stat to one year, one stat to another year, and one stat to nothing at all. I guess that's marketing BS 101 though. And that's not to mention all resorts with the same line of thought during the same week.
    I don't think they can give a solid number due to loss of ticket sales due to Ikon visitors who would normally be buying day tickets. They'd have guess what the ticket sales should be without Ikon, which would be an increase of sales from last year due to a great year. Then subtract Ikon visits + total ticket sales from that guessed amount, and then get 3%? Not saying that 3% is right or wrong, but isn't that what they are doing?

I'm out of my league here, and and top of that I don't know if I explained that right...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I don't think they can give a solid number due to loss of ticket sales due to Ikon visitors who would normally be buying day tickets. They'd have guess what the ticket sales should be without Ikon, which would be an increase of sales from last year due to a great year. Then subtract Ikon visits + total ticket sales from that guessed amount, and then get 3%? Not saying that 3% is right or wrong, but isn't that what they are doing?

I'm out of my league here, and and top of that I don't know if I explained that right...
    Yep number is really difficult to estimate. How can you determine which Ikon skiiers had a Mountain Collective for 2-3 days of use , or more w the 50% off additional days vs purchasing online multi day tickets vs window tickets vs ski and stay package tickets. So many permutations here , and likely a decent percentage of Ikon users are switching from one of these

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If indeed the 3% net increase is accurate (unlikely), then that means Alta is much less profitable. They've shifted a significant number of skiers from expensive day/multi day passes to the cheap Ikon pass. This seems like a dumb business decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Evert person who hits me on the head with the bar (every goddamn ride) is an ikon pass holder. Who I tell it’s polite to say bar down instead of just braiding people. Followed by, you’re not from here are you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
    Not what I'm suggesting at all. It's odd that all of these resorts did not have the data a month ago and happened to all get the ability to analyze at the same time and come to the same conclusion.
    and coincidentally at the time ikon pass renewals have recently come out. that's a calculated, collective response. total bullshit. can only speak to what i see in bcc and more specifically solitude, but two years ago during that good year, solitude did not need to do any of the following:

1. warn ski team participants before the season that they sold more season passes than ever before specifically as a result of the ikon pass > well before the first snowflake.
    2. have to shift ski team training start times earlier because of canyon congestion.
    3. have to implement a much more defined parking plan (or any : ), segmented off w/ropes and more employees as people enter the resort
    4. need you to park in the street every weekend if you showed up after 9:30, regardless of conditions or the last time it snowed.
    5. and you sure as shit have never seen liftlines like this

Name:  overcrowding.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  140.9 KB

obviously, its been a helluva year and no doubt, that is significant factor but i think its clear, the ikon pass is making a much bigger impact than they willing to admit. just my $.02

oh, and mallwalker, today was sick!

Regarding the wasatch back, Canyons was on wind hold all day today. (No gondola, no bubble)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Evert person who hits me on the head with the bar (every goddamn ride) is an ikon pass holder. Who I tell it’s polite to say bar down instead of just braiding people. Followed by, you’re not from here are you.

Whenever I got clocked by an out of Towner at Alta with the bar my first question was always. "So where ya from". I wish they never put bars on anything but Sunnyside.

Funny story. Serbian I've skied with a bit. First time he's loads Collins, pre bars, realizes there are no bars and proceeds to jump off before we left loading station. We we're in the air though. Super fun.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Icemanarrivestommarowinjeans
    Skidogreminicesinhis
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Icemanarrivestommarowinjeans
    Skidogreminicesinhis
    Sadly that's all I do lately. Wish I could make it. Smoke one and take a run for me please.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ikonic.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	737.0 KB 
ID:	273910

while y'all be getting confused about stats and bitching about Ikon, this was 9:30 this morning in LCC. thanks for staying home because of the terrible crowds!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post

while y'all be getting confused about stats and bitching about Ikon, this was 9:30 this morning in LCC. thanks for staying home because of the terrible crowds!
    Wow 15 whole minutes after opening? Can you take same pic at say 1030 please?

hell yeah man! I dunno how it skied everywhere in the satch, but this morning was sleeper as hell for me. tomorrow should be great as well. I know I'll be finding out!

And I'm not implying that Alta was busy today. Obviously the kitty wasn't cause there's nobody on it 15 min after opening but it's still a selective pic at a very early time of day.

Of course it was, nobody could get up the road. Fucking blue Honda mini-van was spinning his FWD tires making no progress, just above the power station blocking all uphill travel. We got to the mouth at 8:05 no problem, after merging we barely moved. Finally got to Gate A about 8:45, got to the ass hole at 9:05. Rest of trip took 10 minutes. I swear to God, if I ever see that blue van with Massachusetts plates in the Alta parking lot it will have two flat front tires.

BTW, when the road got open the Alta lot was full.

I called UPD to bitch, asked why they don't check vehicles, women on the non emergency line said nothing, dead silence

That stretch of road was really slick at low speed. Watched 4 pickups creep up at 45def angles, outback in front of me was having a hard time. Passed em. Good day for AWD + snows.

3 locals surrounding me on the tram all talking about how shitty their all seasons are: "made it up anyway!"

Enforcement seems like the obvious solution. If checking isn't feasible, fat tickets when you try to get away with it and blow it seems reasonable.

Time for vigilante justice on these fucking asshats?

Flats?

Dig shit door handles?

Resorts checking tires and refusing services?

No Snow’s or chains no play

I rip the groomed on tele gear

[QUOTE=North;5620923]That stretch of road was really slick at low speed. Watched 4 pickups creep up at 45def angles, outback in front of me was having a hard time. Passed em. Good day for AWD + snows.

3 locals surrounding me on the tram all talking about how shitty their all seasons are: "made it up anyway!"

Enforcement seems like the obvious solution. If checking isn't feasible, fat tickets when you try to get away with it and blow it seems reasonable.[/QUOT

At the Central Wasatch meeting last week somebody mentioned the fine is $1000, write a few of those and I bet it will get some attention.

Unfortunately their all seasons are legal according to the code. I wish they’d go to dedicated snows or chains, period.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    That stretch of road was really slick at low speed. Watched 4 pickups creep up at 45def angles, outback in front of me was having a hard time. Passed em. Good day for AWD + snows.
    Yes it was. Rarely do I need more than good a/ts on my truck but today was one of those days. Barely made it up through 2 of those slick turns and a cop turned the tacoma in front of me around but let me by for some unknown reason. The bird skied quite well!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Of course it was, nobody could get up the road. Fucking blue Honda mini-van was spinning his FWD tires making no progress, just above the power station blocking all uphill travel. We got to the mouth at 8:05 no problem, after merging we barely moved. Finally got to Gate A about 8:45, got to the ass hole at 9:05. Rest of trip took 10 minutes. I swear to God, if I ever see that blue van with Massachusetts plates in the Alta parking lot it will have two flat front tires.

edit: when it's a great day it's a buzzkill to see people who were here today be pissed off. don't need to further kill their buzz.
    Last edited by Lone Star; 03-13-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Name:	20190313-02.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	273936

shit there's visitors in town, be stoked! this morning was sick!

Visiting from Sun Valley. Started up at 745 in my 4Runner. I see cars ahead of me spinning. I start to spin. I don’t wanna be ‘that guy’ so I u-turn to the park and ride. Arrived Alta 930. Fun day. Rarely shared a chair with more than 1.
    Edit: if they want people to use the bus should they really charge $5 each way?

Pretty ridiculous deep out there this evening. Knee deep. Unfortunately it’s pretty low density and isn’t quite hiding that sun crust on S faces. It’s the first time all season I was wishing for fatter skis.