Page 53 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2438
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Sorry, 2016/17. Last year sucked, but you said a decade.
    We got a lot of snow in 16/17 via those warm atmospheric river / pineapple express systems in January/February. Those were great up high, but I think the mid-elevation stuff is skiing better right now. YMMV, de gustibus, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    We got a lot of snow in 16/17 via those warm atmospheric river / pineapple express systems in January/February. Those were great up high, but I think the mid-elevation stuff is skiing better right now. YMMV, de gustibus, etc.
    No doubt, this year is much better at mid/low elevations. If you look at snow totals 16/17 is still running ahead of us for high elevation snowpack although we're catching up fast with this last series of storms. The faucet turned on late December and dumped a preposterous amount of snow and things looked like 2011 for a hot minute. The low elevation snowpack got obliterated around early February though (can't remember if it rained or it was a nasty warm spell) and never recovered, I had to scrap a long list of things I wanted to tick that would have involved miles of dirt. Skiing out of Hogum or picking your way out the bottom of the Y was not a fun experience in 2017...

Edit: looking at the Snowbird snotel we are already over the max depth reached last year and have over twice the depth we had at this time in 2018. This is a back in the day style winter!!

We had 2-3 storms that rained up to like 10k feet midwinter each of the last couple years . Both 1+ inches of precip IIRC. I think there were 2 last year, and 1 2017 maybe, but I could have that mixed up.

Here's the Ben Lomond Snotel @8000 feet. The report should show median, 2017 and 2019. 2017 was almost double this year (and average) at this time. Anyway, I love this chart and being able to check out different years. Viva la 1997 btw.
    https://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/snow/stat...title=Untitled

2003 (100+ " in 3 days) is the gold standard. 2013 was great, as was 2015. So far this year, 2019 is 4th or 5th best in past 20 years (at least so far as I can remember)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

All this vintage talk really should include notes on palate, nose and legs.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    2003 (100+ " in 3 days) is the gold standard. 2013 was great, as was 2015. So far this year, 2019 is 4th or 5th best in past 20 years (at least so far as I can remember)
    Damn you have a good memory. All I remember is this year has been fun, last year blew and 2 years ago was good. Anything before that just fades into the past.

IIRC, 2015 was terrible, up there with last year for worst in a long time...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Solitude didn't disappoint today. Little bit quieter than it's been lately. Bout 15 chairs back on the Summit opener and then bout 10 people back on the Honeycomb sidestep opener. Both rendered fine conditions.

Saw a Change for a nickle sticker go by while I was debooting this afternoon, colorado plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    IIRC, 2015 was terrible, up there with last year for worst in a long time...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    On February 6th, Alta's YTD snowfall passed the season total for 2014-2015. 323".

Quiet day out there today.

AltaBird is looking pretty thicc.

I was surprised to find the sun crust from last week's high pressure as the SW snow surface high on the Flagstaff shoulder yesterday morning. Half laps skied well. The winds were cranking up top.

In case anyone's social media hasn't already blown up from the windy sunset a few nights ago

^ glad you’re healed up enough to get out there

hard to see at times this evening

04/05 - 698.6"
    05/06 - 637.5"
    06/07 - 389.5"
    07/08 - 701.5"
    08/09 - 696"
    09/10 - 585.5"
    10/11 - 723.5"
    11/12 - 390.5"
    12/13 - 449"
    13/14 - 432"
    14/15 - 323.5"
    15/16 - 438.5"
    16/17 - 596.5"
    17/18 - 388"
    14 year average: 532"
    10 year average: 502"
    5 year average: 435.7"

I remember 2003, because it is the reason that I moved to UT. That late Dec. storm was the storm of the century.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190212-01.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	497.0 KB 
ID:	269341

Name:	20190212-03.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	269345

I remember 2003, because it is the reason that I moved to UT. That late Dec. storm was the storm of the century.
    Sorta related - does anyone remember when the T-giving 100" storm hit? I don't remember the December one, but there was a 100" T-giving storm at some point in the not-too-distant past...

2001-2 iirc. I got to drive home in it from Portland. Pushed snow w the bumper of the suby from the Idaho border for hours since I had to be back in the hospital Saturday.

Rest of that season was kind of forgettable iirc. The olympic organization was shitting bricks before that storm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sorta related - does anyone remember when the T-giving 100" storm hit? I don't remember the December one, but there was a 100" T-giving storm at some point in the not-too-distant past...
    I remember standing on top of Lake Peak on Thanksgiving day in 2010 and realizing I'd be super late for dinner as I'd have to slog out of White Pine in nipple deep snow. Haven't seen conditions like that until late January since then.

The night that storm started, ~11:00 pm, at phUnk's house downtown, already in bed:

"Dan, wake up! They're closing LCC at midnight. Tomorrow could be a country club day, let's get up there!"

Threw shit in phUnk's Escape, drove 215 w/o lights because it was nuking so hard visibility was better with them off, beat the gate dropping by microseconds, pushed snow with the front bumper the whole way up through nuclear apocalypse blizzard. Pulled into the P-Dog close to 12:30 am, no employees to be found anywhere to get us into a room, so we decide to crash on the couches. Sometime later a security guard rolls through and tells us to get lost or we'll be arrested for theft of services. Of course, the road is now closed and interlodge in effect, so we kindly ask him to find someone to take our money in exchange for a room key because we clearly can't leave.

When someone is finally located the security guard is still acting salty as hell and front desk dude isn't sure they have a spare room available. Salty security guard looks like he wants nothing more than to handcuff us. The next few minutes are a blur. phUnk goes into full smoove operator mode and before I know what has happened he's somehow gotten us into a room. Not only got us a room for the night, but got it for for $30. We spent the whole next day interlodged.

Things finally popped almost 36 hours and 50" of snow after our tumultuous arrival. First run down Wildcat is still seared in my memory. Two days later, this happened: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Bad-News-today

Pure gold.
    ....Did you front flip the huck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The night that storm started, ~11:00 pm, at phUnk's house downtown, already in bed:

"Dan, wake up! They're closing LCC at midnight. Tomorrow could be a country club day, let's get up there!"

Threw shit in phUnk's Escape, drove 215 w/o lights because it was nuking so hard visibility was better with them off, beat the gate dropping by microseconds, pushed snow with the front bumper the whole way up through nuclear apocalypse blizzard. Pulled into the P-Dog close to 12:30 am, no employees to be found anywhere to get us into a room, so we decide to crash on the couches. Sometime later a security guard rolls through and tells us to get lost or we'll be arrested for theft of services. Of course, the road is now closed and interlodge in effect, so we kindly ask him to find someone to take our money in exchange for a room key because we clearly can't leave.

When someone is finally located the security guard is still acting salty as hell and front desk dude isn't sure they have a spare room available. Salty security guard looks like he wants nothing more than to handcuff us. The next few minutes are a blur. phUnk goes into full smoove operator mode and before I know what has happened he's somehow gotten us into a room. Not only got us a room for the night, but got it for for $30. We spent the whole next day interlodged.

Things finally popped almost 36 hours and 50" of snow after our tumultuous arrival. First run down Wildcat is still seared in my memory. Two days later, this happened: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Bad-News-today

Pure gold.
    ....Did you front flip the huck?
    Not that day, but that is the only time I did it twice in one day. Snowed over 2 feet in the valley, too. That's the last time I can recall that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    14 year average: 532"
    10 year average: 502"
    5 year average: 435.7"
    Ouch. But, it still cracks me up that our worst winter ever is most of the country's all-time epic winter.

Y'all think we'll hit 650 inches?

Looking forward to May/June/July when I'll be golfing in the AM and shredding the Bird in the PM

That's awesome! Similar story here. We were having a "few" beers at the Bar in Sugarhouse (RIP) and a buddy walked in told us that the nukaege was going to result in closures, we bailed pounded on the door of a friend of a friend at employee housing at 11 that night. Spent the next day playing cards and drinking him out of house and home. The next 2 days were all time! Went back home to Sugarhouse to spend the next week without power. One of the best ski weeks ever.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Quiet day out there today.
    ^^ welcome back. quiet again this morning > killer turns

Name:	davenport.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	696.0 KB 
ID:	269382

Ouch. But, it still cracks me up that our worst winter ever is most of the country's all-time epic winter.

Figured the shorter term numbers would look like that which is why I calculated those averages too. Not a scientist so couldn't tell you if a 5 year average is a large enough sample size for an average that means anything, but with the way things are heating up...