Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2438

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS, AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 18-19

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Way back in April Mallwalker and I started up Mineral at 6ish under a light rain to try and manage the heat forecasted for the day. We say nothing but wet slides all the way to the top of the ROD. We eventually found decent snow way the fuck up MillB but anything below 9.5 to 10k was soaked. On our way out at 11ish we passed a party of 3 casually slogging in the flats. They wanted to ski Moonbeam. We told them that all of it had slid in the flats already and they were about 2 weeks and/or 6 hours too late. They kept going because you know, wet slides just aren't a thing. That still seems like a better idea than starting up Deseret at 11am though...

BTW: which one is Temple? The W facing skinny couloir that is lookers right of the gun barrels and drains more or less directly into the approach gullies?
    Also, I imagine the road is opened all the way to the summer TH at the boyscout campsite right?
    Yeah, weird on the late risers. I've always thought of spring skiing (in the Wasatch this means anything after mid-march most years) as being a game for early birds.

Your description of Temple sounds right except that it's east facing. And not so skinny at the moment. Yes, the road is open all the way to the Loop campground, I'd say the walk to snow was less than a mile, and mostly easy trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07980.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	284651

still plenty of good skiing, corn window is early now (7:30) on easterly stuff

pretty bigass slide down to cecret lake

Name:	20190604-01.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	476.4 KB 
ID:	284689

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Your description of Temple sounds right except that it's east facing. A
    Thanks, I meant to say East but I'm directionally challenged. Did you boot up the Shotgun and follow the ridge up and over the summit to Temple? I've only been up there once and it was a low snow year, the ridge looked pretty nasty. We skied back down and booted Temple, got to watch the sun set from the top, one of my favorite outings ever. It does look a lot wider than when I skied it, the top was maybe 10' wide with some interesting climbing to get past the cornice. The backside slopes look so good! Skiing out in the dark and dealing with the frozen ATV tracks to the winter gate was sub-par though...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Thanks, I meant to say East but I'm directionally challenged. Did you boot up the Shotgun and follow the ridge up and over the summit to Temple? I've only been up there once and it was a low snow year, the ridge looked pretty nasty. We skied back down and booted Temple, got to watch the sun set from the top, one of my favorite outings ever. It does look a lot wider than when I skied it, the top was maybe 10' wide with some interesting climbing to get past the cornice. The backside slopes look so good! Skiing out in the dark and dealing with the frozen ATV tracks to the winter gate was sub-par though...
    Yeah, we booted up the twins and then skinned the ridge to the peak, and decided while up top to traverse north down the ridge to the Temple. I was expecting the ridge traverse to be a choss scramble but it's fully covered, barely any rocks showing. The top of Temple has two entrances right now, you can't see it from my photo above but there is a lookers left entrance that meets the main chute a couple hundred vertical down.

East Ridge of Timp conditions? Anyone looked at or been around Timp to know what the East Ridge looks like? I'm seeing wildly variable conditions out there from perfect corn to massive debris fields. That line seems unlikely to be clean, but thought I would try to save a drive down there. Of course a good refreeze, clear night and early morning will be required...and might be a bit late for it to still go clean.

thanks in advance.

I was at Sundance over the weekend. East Ridge proper looked like it went clean, but the snow line is well above Stewart Falls. You're probably looking at close to 1k of heinous bushwacking on the exit. Trust me, it's bad, BT;DT. If you want to avoid Type III fun, you might want to consider upper Primrose cirque, which has some great skiing on multiple aspects with an easy exit below the snowline via the summer trail.

Went and skied the Twin Couloirs (well the east one) this morning. Bootpack up the chute was variable with a shitty amount of postholing, but the clouds kept the snow decent if a little scratchy.

Name:	IMG_2222.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	284743

Name:	39CA7336-EAC8-4CAD-91C0-2F3151F75883.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	284744

Saw a few big naturals come down from the rocks and move a lot of snow from the peak as well which was kind of spooky, but between the clouds and lack of terrain above we were safe and comfy in the east couloir.

^^^Nice. Had the east twin smoothed out at all?

Has anyone got after Ciochetti's ribbon?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    couple snowboarders maybe a week ago hit it I believe. Saw it on the insta...looked SPICY around that jutting rock, they went around with boards ON....looked SKETCH as fuck.

^^^Nice. Had the east twin smoothed out at all?
    Lots of debris down low still but plenty of room to ski to the skier's right of it. Bootpack up was punchy but it skied pretty alright for June.

Name:	20190605-01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	284777

not a good freeze overnight. thought about skiing the semi-hanging NE face of Sugarloaf down to one of those couloirs... took one ski cut, it was already quite wet and unsupportable and felt sketchy so I bailed back to the firmer and less steep stuff on the n ridge, this was around 7:30am. where it hasn't been skied to pieces, there still is a layer of unconsolidated snow above 10k' or maybe 10.5k'. if you are skiing the baldy chutes or highboy or something that has been hammered this is probably not an issue though.

Name:	20190605-03.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	284779

also made it over 400k' for the year, which is neat. staggeringly the south facing stuff STILL continues to go the road (and is probably very consolidated) so that might be where I end up the next couple days. suicide is looking pretty fat and the apron still looks good too...

edit: also alta for some reason groomed a trail from around cecret lake all the way back to the grizzly th. so if things are still too firm or too mushy down low... it's an option at least for right now!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post

Name:	39CA7336-EAC8-4CAD-91C0-2F3151F75883.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	284744
    Glad no one was in there when that rockfall happened. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/story/s...y-line-at-alta

another party (skiers) also did it that same day: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8qCoMF1Hw/

Overnight of 17 degrees made Snowbird a gaggle of fun today.

^yes it was! Coverage in mineral is unbelievable for June!

Name:	IMG_2252.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	285220

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS, AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 18-19

Made a quick trip to GBNP and skied the newly named Doso Doyabi peak. Skied one of the NE facing gullies off the summit for 2500 feet of perfect corn and then several hundred feet of decent but too ripe corn in the trees below.

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	353.9 KB 
ID:	285231

Made a quick trip to GBNP and skied the newly named Doso Doyabi peak. Skied one of the NE facing gullies off the summit for 2500 feet of perfect corn and then several hundred feet of decent but too ripe corn in the trees below.

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	353.9 KB 
ID:	285231
    Looks awesome.
    They renamed Jeff Davis Peak?
    Kinda like taking down statues?
    Know the meaning of the new name?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Looks awesome.
    They renamed Jeff Davis Peak?
    Kinda like taking down statues?
    Know the meaning of the new name?
    I have no idea if it's official yet: https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-w...nel-backs-new/

That looks like an awesome line, nicely done.

Although I can't help but think "for fucks sake, what idiocy" to rename a mountain to placate some SJWs who will never even go there.

I have no idea if it's official yet: https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-w...nel-backs-new/
    Doso Doyabi means White Mountain in Shoshone 'cause it historically had snow on it. Apparently.
    Say, how'd the NW shot look. Must be phat.
    So cool to ski that cirque into the bristlecones...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Say, how'd the NW shot look. Must be phat.
    So cool to ski that cirque into the bristlecones...
    NW was in for sure. Several lines looked like they went into the cirque, all were rock hard at the top.

Name:	20190611-01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	547.6 KB 
ID:	285403

south sup looks to no longer go clean. suicide looks fat. angle station starting to melt out, and lots of sun cups. main was pleasant by 7ish.

double suicide this morning

Name:	20190612-01.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	285491

Name:	20190612-02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	285492

hard to tell from the pic but right along the rock the heat has melted the snow back. this goes down at least 7-8'

Name:	20190612-03.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	436.1 KB 
ID:	285493

the apron is kinda sun cupped but the chute is skiing great - well consolidated summer snow. hardly a minute or two of dirt walking to the snow (but going fast)