Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2454
    I skied 2500 feet of east facing cream in Ogden this morning. Pretty crazy given our low elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^whos the only resort spinning chairs now?

Not to say Snowbird is NOT the master of spin. They just have the arrangement to capitalize on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adski View Post
    ^^whos the only resort spinning chairs now?
    Today or yesterday? I think no resort was. Isnt snowbird on Weekends only now?
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Today or yesterday? I think no resort was. Isnt snowbird on Weekends only now?
    zing! from the east coast no less!

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Snowbird lies like crazy, and gets away with it. If top gets 9" and bottom 2" they report 9". If the bottom gets 7" and top 3" they report 7". I am also pretty sure SB includes their preseason snowfall in their #s, and Alta doesn't. I recall some time in Feb or March this year SB had reported 60" more snow than Alta at that point, which was laughable.

Spin masters.
    Alta reports Collins mid mountain and historically under reports. I asked the question of OW 10 - 12 years ago while riding the chair with him and he said "so nobody comes in the office and complains".

Snowbird lies like crazy, and gets away with it. If top gets 9" and bottom 2" they report 9". If the bottom gets 7" and top 3" they report 7". I am also pretty sure SB includes their preseason snowfall in their #s, and Alta doesn't. I recall some time in Feb or March this year SB had reported 60" more snow than Alta at that point, which was laughable.

Spin masters.
    Címon of course they are going to report what was on top. When you tell yer girl how long your pee-pee is, do you measure when itís shriveled or saluting? Every resort does what SB does, what do you expect. Some have snowfall listed at lower elevation, which is nice, but you expect them to only count whatís down low for annual snowfall? Whaaaaaaaaat? And as mentioned before everyone knows Alta measures snow at mid-mountain, the elevation is clearly listed. Next time check it out. I hate SB marketing to a point I stopped going there, nobody hates them more than me but letís be reasonable here.

you obviously mis-read what I typed. If the bottom gets more snow that's what they report. They are not consistent, they cherry pick their #s.

you obviously mis-read what I typed. If the bottom gets more snow that's what they report. They are not consistent, they cherry pick their #s.
    Moreover, they have multiple snow stakes around the mountain to choose from. Brighton started doing the same thing. Most ski resorts try to pick a spot that gets the most snowfall. Some say, "this is how much the base got, this is how much the top got." Its a numbers marketing game and I don't think ski resorts are measuring with much scientific integrity in general. Alta seems to be one of the exceptions. Though the new person in charge of alta's snow reporting for their website doesn't seem to be living up to his predecessor's standards and enthusiasm.

It's akin to them telling us how the number of skiers/snowboarders is dwindling, meanwhile, every other year Utah breaks it's own skier visit days consistently since the 2000s. May have something to do with scanning season passes every time people use it. May have something to do with the super multi-resort season passes. May have something to do with the source of those numbers coming from marketing departments.....

When the snow study plot that marketing used got moved and automated to the top of Gad 2 from the tram base in 2006? I applauded the move. There was also a plot by the Mid Gad Restaurant at that time, but one didn't know what was there until late, relatively. No automation. Alta's #s were coming from the Collins plot, not the base one by the Buckhorn. Gad 2 and the Collins plot have more similarity. The 1st Gad 2 plot was placed on the west side of the patrol shack, top of Election. No trees to the west. Wind blew all the snow away.
    I suggested and we did move it south of the patrol shack 100 yards to its current location. Accurate readings for that elevation, I feel.
    Had to do something, because the tram base became increasingly warmer over the years, and marketing was having to guess amounts.
    Sometimes there was nothing on the tram base stake but rain or slush, when the mountain would have plenty!
    We would measure water equivalent, but what about when you forget to or don't put out the can, 'cause it isn't supposed to rain? Oops.
    I heard they took the Gad 2 snow cam down last year? Kinda easy to not be real with amounts if that actually happened...

If Alta cared about maxing out their snowfall amounts and depth, they would have a stake over at Supreme somewhere to capitalize on general storm flows and orographic lifting. That they stay with their historic plot is a testament to their integrity.

Interesting fact: The winter snowfall and water equivalent totals run November-April. Those are Alta's and everyone else's #s. October and May don't count...except for Snowbird marketing!
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 05-23-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

I did, sorry.

isn't spring the best? 2 dogs w/getoutside

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523-01.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	283471

this shit is bananas (and there's a rider in that powdercloud somewhere)

Name:	20190523-02.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	283472

I lol'd at the oingo boingo skinner but then we took it anyway

Name:	20190523-03.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	358.1 KB 
ID:	283473

smooth emma something-or-other to the fucking road

Name:	20190523-04.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	283474

Nice! Best mud season ever!

I can't see any roller balls in your photos, but did you cause any on the North facing slopes?
    How about sinking through the new snow and skidding on the older, firm snow beneath? Did that happen at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    isn't spring the best? 2 dogs w/getoutside

Name:	20190523-01.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	283471

this shit is bananas (and there's a rider in that powdercloud somewhere)

Name:	20190523-02.jpg 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	283472

Quote Originally Posted by lhitchner View Post
    I can't see any roller balls in your photos, but did you cause any on the North facing slopes?
    How about sinking through the new snow and skidding on the older, firm snow beneath? Did that happen at all?
    No roller balls on north or south, though we were out by 9. The surface conditions were quite variable and there were a few places where skinning was difficult due to an inch-ish of graupel on a firm base. The snow felt deeper while skinning the south facing, but that may just be because that aspect stayed warm while the north facing got a better overnight freeze...? Not really sure. Obviously a half an hour of sunlight or greenhousing could radically change things, but it was not a bad day by winter standards and outstanding by May 23 standards. The skiing was honestly quite good, absolutely worth it if you are on the fence (and I'm sure tomorrow and probably Saturday morning will be good as well).

e: a ski cut did release a decent sized windslab, fyi. No issue in the terrain we were in, but it propagated with some energy.
    Last edited by mall walker; 05-23-2019 at 02:35 PM.

When you pull into the trailhead and see this on May 24th, it's going to be a good morning.

Name:	20190524-01.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	283589

Bonafide winter snow above 9500' today, with the accompanying instabilities. Sensitive (but small) new cornices, small wind slabs, storm slabs in the new stuff, all pretty manageable but it sure didn't feel like May.

Name:	20190524-02.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	283590

Name:	20190524-03.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	283591

Name:	20190524-04.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	283592

Name:	20190524-05.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	283593

Holy Toledo > Cardiff > Toledo Face. Wish I had time for more.

Bonafide winter snow above 9500' today, with the accompanying instabilities. Sensitive (but small) new cornices, small wind slabs, storm slabs in the new stuff, all pretty manageable but it sure didn't feel like May.

Name:	20190524-02.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	283590
    knowing where that is, that is BONKERS for May, let alone end of May

So the bird was great yesterday. Got there at 11 and they were just opening tunnel and mineral basin. Worked my way far right towards boundary and lapped that like 8 times. On last two runs the visibility cleared and I got to ski like 1000 vert of untracked a few times for last runs. Insane great mid winter snow and only a few people following my cut track.
    People were ducking rope at top of little cloud and trying to get first few hundred feet. Ski patrol busted them and we were lumped in with the idiots. Spent a bit of time explaining to her how I had cut a track earlier in the morning so I could ski that side.

For what was likely my last day inbounds it was the opus and very high stoke.

Pics to follow
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

2018/2019 (24/32)

A little graupel over mostly supportable crust. Windy and kinda cold up high. A month ago I thought I was done snowboarding for the year, but if this weather keeps up I guess not. Fun day.

Not really the Wasatch, but we don't have a central Utah forum, tried to ski Mt. Baldy in the Tushars this weekend. Got turned around about 200 feet shy of the summit due to winds. I've never really experienced wind that made me lay down on my ice axe in order to not be blown off the ridge, but after the second gust of that I decided to put on skis and give'r. The sustained wind was bad enough but the 30 second long gusts were downright intense.

Oh yeah, pics:

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	338.8 KB 
ID:	283902

Name:	IMG_2313.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	283903

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	428.3 KB 
ID:	283904

Name:	IMG_2322.jpg 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	283905

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Not really the Wasatch, but we don't have a central Utah forum, tried to ski Mt. Baldy in the Tushars this weekend. Got turned around about 200 feet shy of the summit due to winds. I've never really experienced wind that made me lay down on my ice axe in order to not be blown off the ridge, but after the second gust of that I decided to put on skis and give'r. The sustained wind was bad enough but the 30 second long gusts were downright intense.
    Looks rad and amazing coverage for the Tushars for this time of year.

Name:	20190528-01.jpg 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	283939

south facing still goes clean to the road in upper lcc

Name:	20190528-02.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	499.7 KB 
ID:	283940

north facing had a bunch of wet debris and skied kinda crap, south facing pretty smooth all things considered... light snow up there this morning, and nothing new overnight

Name:	20190529-01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	284100

south facing still goes to the car, but it'll go fast now. maybe a cm above 9500', where the base was smooth it actually skied great. season definitely winding down though...

Name:	20190529-01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	284100

south facing still goes to the car, but it'll go fast now. maybe a cm above 9500', where the base was smooth it actually skied great. season definitely winding down though...
    ^^ rain smoothing it all out