Page 28 of 98 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^
    Actually calling Alta central is the way to go. They actually know the terrain and have maps. The mistake was made when Alta central relayed to upd. Upd dispatchers and most of the canyon patrol cops are totally clueless as to their whereabouts in either canyon. Don’t believe me, call upd dispatch sometime. Most of them have never even been in either canyon. Surprised Alta central didn’t contact WBR as well as Upd. Alta central-WBR talking to each other is your best bet for a timely rescue. Eliminates the Jerry’s from messing it up.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Here's what UAC advises, and they disagree with you.
    https://utahavalanchecenter.org/educ...ry-emergencies

Hey Fugitive, PM'ed you.

Sick Pow shots Boissal.

Anyone ever consider an elevated MagLev rail service up into those canyons?
    Like at Disneyworld...

Quote Originally Posted by lhitchner View Post
    Here's what UAC advises, and they disagree with you.
    https://utahavalanchecenter.org/educ...ry-emergencies
    For the nth time call 911, then Alta Central. Two calls.
    Been assisting backcountry skiers in need for 40 years. Take my advice.
    911 gets things rolling.
    Alta Central calls Wasatch Backcountry Rescue.
    Gives us a chance to ready ourselves and coordinate with law enforcement anywhere, in a timely fashion.
    Whether you are close to home, in the Stansburys or Oquirrhs in Tooele County, the Uintahs in Duchesne and Summit Counties or even the further ranges of the state:
    CALL BOTH!!!
    Counties outside of the Wasatch Mountains know not of WBR rescuers who can be "loaned" by their respective county sheriffs.
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 01-09-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Hey Fugitive, PM'ed you.

Sick Pow shots Boissal.

Anyone ever consider an elevated MagLev rail service up into those canyons?
    Like at Disneyworld...
    ^^^This. Or something like it.
    Its the future.
    Too bad it'll take so long to arrive that many of us won't see it...

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    For the nth time CALL 911, THEN PM RONTELE FOR HELP!!!
    Fify

brighton was teh suck today. milly up high was either windfucked or skiing over avy debris, also found some nasty slabs though they were very isolated but in some sketchy spots you wouldn’t want to go for a ride. woods scraped bare in most places by the snowplowers. actually the only place i found decent snow was off great western, good wind buff up top and preserved snow lower in the shade.

pulled the plug around 2 and took solbright back for another honeycomb lap to see how things held up over that way. well worth it, no change in consistency noted on NE aspects up high, probably around 9800’

Headed out for long weekend end of this month to pick off the IKON areas.
    Best base-camp location with a bit of post ski activities (beer/eats)?
    Downtown worth it? Base of one of the Canyons?

Thanks all!
    BB
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

^ since a lot of people will advise you to stay close to the resorts, I’ll throw in my biased hat for downtown SLC. pm me if you have any Qs or wanna meet for a beer or something.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    For the nth time call 911, then Alta Central. Two calls.
    Been assisting backcountry skiers in need for 40 years. Take my advice.
    911 gets things rolling.
    Alta Central calls Wasatch Backcountry Rescue.
    Gives us a chance to ready ourselves and coordinate with law enforcement anywhere, in a timely fashion.
    Whether you are close to home, in the Stansburys or Oquirrhs in Tooele County, the Uintahs in Duchesne and Summit Counties or even the further ranges of the state:
    CALL BOTH!!!
    Counties outside of the Wasatch Mountains know not of WBR rescuers who can be "loaned" by their respective county sheriffs.
    Do what TFW says. No one I would trust more for wasatch BC info in the world. I rectified my earlier statement.

Want to ski the icon resorts stay where you can afford to. Access is easy from just about anywhere east of I-15.

I thought you were supposed to leave a message on the WBR facebook page if you had an emergency.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

^^^
    Or better yet, post here and SFB will rescue you. With medication in hand.

heard a lot of doom and gloom about windfuckery, death crusts and so forth, but managed to find some soft turns (and surprisingly a fair amount of trailbreaking) this morning...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thurs-turns-3.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	263665

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thurs-turns-2.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	263666

shoulda brought wider skis!

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    heard a lot of doom and gloom about windfuckery, death crusts and so forth,
    You mean PRO OBSERVER MARK WHITE'S observation from yesterday!!!
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    You mean PRO OBSERVER MARK WHITE'S observation from yesterday!!!
    as he is fond of saying, #youdontknowifyoudontgo

Quote Originally Posted by Barnballs View Post

Thanks all!
    BB
    Are you doing Deer Valley? Park City/Kimball Junction off 224 might be your best bet for apres ski activities. The bus is free, there is usually some sort of live music going on in old town, there are credible places to eat and drink. It's not worth paying Sundance rates, but deals can be had. Downtown SLC has the usual economically-vibrant small to mid size city nightlife and dining options. It's not painful to get to the cottonwood canyons from either of those places.

Base of the canyons is a nice place to live, but it's not where I'd stay while on vacation if I cared about apres ski options.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS, AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 18-19

surprisingly still good out there on N faces

Last edited by dfinn; 01-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^
    Or better yet, post here and SFB will rescue you. With medication in hand.

my old slow expired emt and in need of a woofer recert ass wouldnt be my first choice of 1st responders
    specially when the sfotex runs 50 mile sufferfests fer shits n giggles and a t-shirt
    but rest assured the sfb dont roll empty handed or mind sharings

and the st bernard, patron saint of mountain travelers and enthusiasts, medallion round the necks works for me
    speaking of such heard a tale of a heart attack on the honeycomb west face traverse off duty medically trained personal administering aid/cpr others going back to get patrol and the aed from summit top shack
    a successful deployment of unit resulting in a return heart rhythm conducive to moving blood and life maintenance
    a sled ride out and last i heard a positive prognosis of being able to ski again.
    fkna hudge props to all involved

got out hump day
    fantasy access denied and a bit of hwy traffic

that dissipated quickly and were breaking trail to the dav

a bit of wind funk a top but overall suck factor low enough for athletic knee dropping

and johnny wasatch found turning conditions way better than say a large unsheltered featureless wind swept terrain like cardiffs headwall

shit got sent

athletically
    headed back up to seek the sheltered goods

we were gonna dig a pit and check on the dragons that dwell below
    but lastchairmatters
    found sums that which of what we seeks

if you or someones you knows needs gainfull employment and can mount bindings in a fast paced production manner or willing to learn lemme know
    i need less employment and more on ski mission deployment
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    my old slow expired emt and in need of a woofer recert ass wouldnt be my first choice of 1st responders
    specially when the sfotex runs 50 mile sufferfests fer shits n giggles and a t-shirt
    but rest assured the sfb dont roll empty handed or mind sharings

and the st bernard, patron saint of mountain travelers and enthusiasts, medallion round the necks works for me
    speaking of such heard a tale of a heart attack on the honeycomb west face traverse off duty medically trained personal administering aid/cpr others going back to get patrol and the aed from summit top shack
    a successful deployment of unit resulting in a return heart rhythm conducive to moving blood and life maintenance
    a sled ride out and last i heard a positive prognosis of being able to ski again.
    fkna hudge props to all involved

got out hump day
    fantasy access denied and a bit of hwy traffic

that dissipated quickly and were breaking trail to the dav

a bit of wind funk a top but overall suck factor low enough for athletic knee dropping

and johnny wasatch found turning conditions way better than say a large unsheltered featureless wind swept terrain like cardiffs headwall

shit got sent

athletically
    headed back up to seek the sheltered goods

we were gonna dig a pit and check on the dragons that dwell below
    but lastchairmatters
    found sums that which of what we seeks

if you or someones you knows needs gainfull employment and can mount bindings in a fast paced production manner or willing to learn lemme know
    i need less employment and more on ski mission deployment
    Yeww! Thanks for the stoke! Really needed that this morning...
    And props for the Honeycomb save and thanks for the word on it.
    Helped start this day off right.
    Thanks Dibs!

That kind of save gives me a burning in the bosom.

Agreed with previous response. For your Deer Valley days, Park City is fun for a day or two but you'll be in town during Sundance Film Festival so it'll be Aspeny.....pretty fun and pretty pricey. When I head to the Wasatch for my annual pilgrimage I simply stay downtown. If you'll have a car, just grab a hotel downtown. It is an easy drive to the canyons Solitude/Brighton or Alta/Snowbird. If you don't have a 4wd car, there are park and rides a the base of each canyon that are super reliable and convenient. Base of the canyons is very sleepy (though, I always pay my respects to the Cotton Bottom for a beer and a burger) while downtown can usually offer some decent grub, suds, and silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnballs View Post

Thanks all!
    BB
    neednsnow.com

Chasin Snow whenever time allows.

To be honest, unless conditions have changed dramatically, I'd skip Deer Valley as an Ikon passholder. We hit it on a Thursday and it was crowded, hardpack, and pretty crappy, IMO.

Then again... I may have been doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
    Agreed with previous response. For your Deer Valley days, Park City is fun for a day or two but you'll be in town during Sundance Film Festival so it'll be Aspeny.....pretty fun and pretty pricey. When I head to the Wasatch for my annual pilgrimage I simply stay downtown. If you'll have a car, just grab a hotel downtown. It is an easy drive to the canyons Solitude/Brighton or Alta/Snowbird. If you don't have a 4wd car, there are park and rides a the base of each canyon that are super reliable and convenient. Base of the canyons is very sleepy (though, I always pay my respects to the Cotton Bottom for a beer and a burger) while downtown can usually offer some decent grub, suds, and silliness.
    Go for the garlic burger at the Cotton Bottom and don't worry about 4WD in BCC / LCC. Nobody pays attention to that anymore, least of which is the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Go for the garlic burger at the Cotton Bottom and don't worry about 4WD in BCC / LCC. Nobody pays attention to that anymore, least of which is the authorities.
    There was a rental Tahoe full of Californians that got stuck in the fucking parking lot at Alta when we were there. The old man who rented it even claimed he didn't know it wasn't 4wd.

fwiw the SLC eats thread has some pretty good info imo https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...66000-SLC-Eats

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    To be honest, unless conditions have changed dramatically, I'd skip Deer Valley as an Ikon passholder. We hit it on a Thursday and it was crowded, hardpack, and pretty crappy, IMO.

Then again... I may have been doing it wrong.

DV is good for two things.
    1) when we are in a drought and the skiing is bad across the range, they will have the best groomers.

2) skiing trees on a pow day because their clientele doesn't leave said groomers.