Page 1 of 98 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS, AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 18-19

Some of the flakes that fell last night might be chatting with us later this winter...hope not.
    Winter of '82-'83 started the end of September and kept right on going...lets hope.
    Anyone for a Main Chute tomorrow?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    I love how spelling errors are perpetuated over the span of years. Strong work. There's my contribution of "drival," to this incredibly important thread.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Anyone for a Main Chute tomorrow?
    deep enough to "go"? I have my rock skis out and ready lol

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    I love how spelling errors are perpetuated over the span of years. Strong work. There's my contribution of "drival," to this incredibly important thread.
    Evr here uv trudishun? Prolly to yung.
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 10-06-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: speling corekshun

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    deep enough to "go"? I have my rock skis out and ready lol

Seems like it takes less cover every year; sure was thin last year when it got skied for the 1st time.

Seems like it takes less cover every year; sure was thin last year when it got skied for the 1st time.
    to paraphrase gnarchived, "it's always deep enough to go if you're stupid enough"

I'll probably keep my trail shoes on for a few weeks still...

Looks like first snow of the season this weekend will get the stoke going, but personally, I hope it's more rain than snow. Still a few weeks too early, and I don't want a depth hoar issue like we had last season.

At least this wet cool weather should really help put out the fires!
    Last edited by barkcity; 10-06-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Name:  IMG_3690.jpg
Views: 11982
Size:  69.6 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on?
    ill take full credit for drivel misspellins and if ya all wouldnt have roged up trackhead threads it'd just be obs n stokes
    hopes ullr blesses us this season

bobby b and the franchises that is bbi is comin to the satch
    bake there or be square
    a dustin on the mower and all the joist n ply for the 1st floor on powder p's cabin got done

looks like ill be back data mining new snow and base depth #ers for the silver and 30 days at em all round the neck again
    maybe ski ya rounds
    hope it happens

#icemayor
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Well first official snow of the year landed this past Thursday night. Since then, we have gotten a few more inches at the highest elevations. The view of Twin Peaks and upper areas of Mount Olympus is putting me in a rather festive and wintery mood. By my calculations, we should be on the slopes in t minus 6.5 weeks (assuming Brighton is gonna try to open around Thanksgiving - at least with a WROD). Wen't to second tracks ski swap. Didn't find anything particularly tantelizing, though I already spent a boatload on new gear last season. Did see some 189 megawats for $100 bucks, but I already bought some used powder boards....

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    thanks
    i forgots to pimps the
    http://www.swaptober.com
    and
    /11th-annual-usaw-open
    oct 27
    back at the, i guess its mountain americas expo center now, should be more room
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I rode Guardsman up to Crest the other day, there weren't even any rails set up yet, wtf!
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Really nice to see a flow of moisture this time of year. Been a while. What an effing dry summer. The boys say that we are so far behind that if we don't have a good winter this year then water restrictions etc. will be quite the reality next summer.

Just crackin' my 3rd natty, so its story time. "Burp".
    September '82 set a record for one month precip at the airport. 7" on account of Hurricane Olivia. September 26 set a one day record of 2.27". '82-'83 set a record of 845" of snow at Alta (and that recording is only November-April).

Anyhow, the smaller touring community that was here at the time went off. Skiing was better that October than these days in January. I was 'trolling at the bird at the time and a lot of time working that winter was spent breaking trail downhill. Days off one was so exhausted that when you opened the curtain to see a raging blizzard it was hard to get motivated to go touring (on the butter knives that were the touring skis of the day).

Back to October '82. Buddy and I skied the Main Chute (alpine gear). So good that we went back for a Little Chute. The bindings were Salomon 555's that were busted and the heel flaps were held down with baling wire...not quick for in or out. Down at the choke = 180 cm., we left them on and sidestepped / bridged the chute about 4' off the snow. Wedging skis, clicking out of toes, laughing 'til it hurt. Didn't notice the small crowd that had gathered on Main Street observing our antics until we were on the apron. Skied down to them thinking we were some kinda heroes. A fella pipes up "I'm a patrolman here, and I gotta ask, are you guys on acid or what?" Looked at each and started laughing 'til it hurt again, cause as a matter of fact...one of those days that lives forever in a fog's memory...

This week has the tap turned on relative to autumns of late. Reminds me a little of '82. Don't read the farmer's almanac, but one can hope.
    If you got skis to burn, lets pay some homage, eh? Maybe a mag get together and sacrifice some of the skis we've trashed the last few years?
    Wheres a good place?
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 10-09-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1034.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	250110

Mountains were looking pretty from Bobsled today. I'm loving these cooler temps after the way this summer has been.

Thanks for the info on USAW SFB. Hadn't seen that anywhere yet.

Also found out today that Inkline closed up shop recently. Pretty bummed as the wife and I both have soles built by Chris with a "lifetime warranty." Anyone know what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post

Name:	IMG_1034.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	250110

Mountains were looking pretty from Bobsled today. I'm loving these cooler temps after the way this summer has been.

Thanks for the info on USAW SFB. Hadn't seen that anywhere yet.

Also found out today that Inkline closed up shop recently. Pretty bummed as the wife and I both have soles built by Chris with a "lifetime warranty." Anyone know what happened?
    I am super bummed to hear about Chris, been doing business with him for a long time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Well, that sucks. I hope Chris is OK, but bummed he closed. He's done a couple of custom fits for me. I'm not sure who I'll go to now, not to mention no more adjustments without paying again.

yeah i'll ski it for sure.

stoked to be back in big this season, sort of need to get off the couch!

Name:	IMAG0437.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	531.2 KB 
ID:	250130

need to get walking uphill again on the reg. partners welcome!

stoked for the season!

brighton is cool as fvk. they have not sold out.

Name:  137539246-L.jpg
Views: 11847
Size:  184.9 KB

Really nice to see a flow of moisture this time of year. Been a while. What an effing dry summer. The boys say that we are so far behind that if we don't have a good winter this year then water restrictions etc. will be quite the reality next summer.

Just crackin' my 3rd natty, so its story time. "Burp".
    September '82 set a record for one month precip at the airport. 7" on account of Hurricane Olivia. September 26 set a one day record of 2.27". '82-'83 set a record of 845" of snow at Alta (and that recording is only November-April).

Anyhow, the smaller touring community that was here at the time went off. Skiing was better that October than these days in January. I was 'trolling at the bird at the time and a lot of time working that winter was spent breaking trail downhill. Days off one was so exhausted that when you opened the curtain to see a raging blizzard it was hard to get motivated to go touring (on the butter knives that were the touring skis of the day).

Back to October '82. Buddy and I skied the Main Chute (alpine gear). So good that we went back for a Little Chute. The bindings were Salomon 555's that were busted and the heel flaps were held down with baling wire...not quick for in or out. Down at the choke = 180 cm., we left them on and sidestepped / bridged the chute about 4' off the snow. Wedging skis, clicking out of toes, laughing 'til it hurt. Didn't notice the small crowd that had gathered on Main Street observing our antics until we were on the apron. Skied down to them thinking we were some kinda heroes. A fella pipes up "I'm a patrolman here, and I gotta ask, are you guys on acid or what?" Looked at each and started laughing 'til it hurt again, cause as a matter of fact...one of those days that lives forever in a fog's memory...

This week has the tap turned on relative to autumns of late. Reminds me a little of '82. Don't read the farmer's almanac, but one can hope.
    If you got skis to burn, lets pay some homage, eh? Maybe a mag get together and sacrifice some of the skis we've trashed the last few years?
    Wheres a good place?
    I like it.

Bummed to hear about Chris closing shop, too.

9-15" at Alta per NOAA tomorrow into weds, then high pressure... sigh

maybe a hike up Millie's or Collins tomorrow AM. Bring your rock skis.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    They're all rock skis man.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

No shit. I'm thinking of doing it just to get out walk up hill and play in the snow. Worst comes to worst, I'll climb up, check things out, place the skis on my pack and walk down.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    maybe doing a pm run with another mag, could maybe be persuaded for the morning. was thinking collins...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    maybe doing a pm run with another mag, could maybe be persuaded for the morning. was thinking collins...
    Collins? You guys are all wet. Go ski the good stuff like Gunsight.
    I don't know how to embed video, and much else. Would someone please share The Daily Pow vid from Unofficial Networks?