Page 74 of 96 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2391
    Quote Originally Posted by mae42b View Post
    Video is on Instagram, user: Jimmy_Utah
    nice!

was not like that up there today. enormous wet debris pile below santiago, although loads of other stuff had slid as well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190404-01.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	277205

getoutside slogging up the debris

Name:	20190404-02.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	277206

at least the views were nice

Name:	20190404-02.5.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	277207

Name:	20190404-03.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	277208

below 9k' the new snow had already frozen and was supportable (at least very early), above 9k' (up to ~10.5k' N/NE) it was breakable crust. gonna get warm again today too...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    below 9k' the new snow had already frozen and was supportable (at least very early), above 9k' (up to ~10.5k' N/NE) it was breakable crust. gonna get warm again today too...
    Similar observations from Porter this AM. Very fast travel on completely seized-up new snow, just breakable enough to sidehill comfortably. Cornices are larger than I've ever seen them, it would take a 60m cord to cut some of them and they'd clear a new path when falling.
    We hung out on top of Gobbs for over an hour waiting for things to soften up on S and E aspects but the clouds prevented anything beyond a very marginal thaw of the upper 1/8" of death crust. Great place to shoot the shit when you know you're about to have your first bad ski run of the year and are delaying the inevitable. Devastation was observed on all aspects and elevations, either from wet activity or new snow sliding on the crusts, producing some serious debris piles. West Porter is obliterated, can't imagine how piss poor In-Between must have skied. The Gobbs centerpunch was character-building with just enough breakable crust to make each turn a serious move with high potential for a slide-for-life. Things were softening up nicely below 9k as evidenced by a family of post-holing moose looking rather unimpressed with our rattling noises. By the time we hit the Porter road it was a sticky mess. Scenic at least and it gets the legs moving!

Name:	IMG_20190404_083018.jpg 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	277224

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Similar observations from Porter this AM. Very fast travel on completely seized-up new snow, just breakable enough to sidehill comfortably. Cornices are larger than I've ever seen them, it would take a 60m cord to cut some of them and they'd clear a new path when falling.
    We hung out on top of Gobbs for over an hour waiting for things to soften up on S and E aspects but the clouds prevented anything beyond a very marginal thaw of the upper 1/8" of death crust. Great place to shoot the shit when you know you're about to have your first bad ski run of the year and are delaying the inevitable. Devastation was observed on all aspects and elevations, either from wet activity or new snow sliding on the crusts, producing some serious debris piles. West Porter is obliterated, can't imagine how piss poor In-Between must have skied. The Gobbs centerpunch was character-building with just enough breakable crust to make each turn a serious move with high potential for a slide-for-life. Things were softening up nicely below 9k as evidenced by a family of post-holing moose looking rather unimpressed with our rattling noises. By the time we hit the Porter road it was a sticky mess. Scenic at least and it gets the legs moving!

Name:	IMG_20190404_083018.jpg 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	277224
    One of the season's best ob.
    You one of them writer fellas?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    One of the season's best ob.
    You one of them writer fellas?
    Ha! Foreigner's complex man, between proper Engrish being beat into me from the age of 10 and anxiety at the thought of not being understood I have developed a rather verbose style. I'm working on a climbing guidebook with a friend and the difference in style is hilarious, he's all about the 2-line description and I can write an epic paragraph for every 50' crappy route I've put up.

No obs today as I was worried about losing the rest of my teeth to the chatter. I know for a fact that mallwalker the glutton skied a great summer trail and probably had his best day of the season so far

I know for a fact that mallwalker the glutton skied a great summer trail and probably had his best day of the season so far
    lol. I was thinking about Drom but overslept quite a bit, then figured fuck it, I'd see what the Mill B South egress was like for the weekend. I probably should've just used my imagination.

Still, looking good up high...

Name:	drom.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	292.8 KB 
ID:	277380

Mill B South egress
    Aka the great punishment.
    I exit via MillB if I'm shredding Broads and want to do an extra E facing shot before dealing with the beat down on the summer trail. Both forks are equally heinous to get out of, it's really a matter of picking the condiments on the shit sandwich you're about to consume! If I'm already in MillB I usually hop over to Mineral to get a bonus Santago/Mongo... unless everything is crusted into oblivion as seen this week.

yeah Mineral would've been the call. crust or not, at least it goes to the car still

Mineral Fork ski out last Sunday was pretty pleasant, as ski outs go. No Singing Pass Trail-type torture! We were expecting a little walking required at some point, but no.

quiet morning out there with Boissal

Name:	20190406-02.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	277480

visibility was in and out, but when it was in, we noticed this ramp...

Name:	theramp.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	277481

Name:	20190406-03.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	277484

Name:	20190406-05.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	277482

visibility improved

Name:	20190406-07.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	277483

it's pretty big exposure and there are some rocks in the upper half that force you out skiers left

Name:	20190406-08.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	277485

line of the year for me maybe

heard there was a fixed line in the heart, but someone pulled it I guess... consolation prize was another nice (albeit much tamper) ramp, visibility deteriorating by the minute

Name:	20190406-12.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	277486

Name:	20190406-15.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	277487

if you find yourself at the top of the room with this view, wondering if this one goes, it does not

saw zero other evidence of human life until some very late starters on our way out

This is a little tardy, but Thursday in Upper White Pine, the skiing was pretty darn good. When I started it was way too warm, and I expected damp, sticky snow (had my scraper and skin wax handy for quick deployment) with likely nothing enjoyable on the way down. By the time I reached the basin below the Red Baldy Apron it was super flat light, and I talked to 2 skiers (the only 2 people I saw all day) who had just skied down the apron that was covered with a significant amount of wet snow avalanche debris from a few days earlier though fairly dried out by Thursday, and they both said they were having trouble with vertigo (both ended up falling on a gentle part of the slope). But -- they said the skiing was actually pretty good. After they left I doubted their claim about good snow. However, I made it all the way up to West Pass above Glacier Bowl (http://wbskiing.com/3509), and by then the sun came out intermittently and it was actually very wintery like weather. To my joyous surprise, the downhill skiing was actually very, very nice. I called it "creamed corn", and it lasted for a 1.5 mile 2,000' run down to the meadow at the West side of the creek at about 8,600'. Below that it was "ugly" sort of like "suction cup city". But, the ski run above there was well worth it to me.

P.S. Because it was very overcast all during my uphill climb with no sun I never had to scrape my skins nor apply skin wax. On my downhill run I never had snow stick to my skis because I applied a fresh coat of wax before leaving home. If I hadn't done so, I'm pretty sure I would have had some snow sticking to my skis when I went through "suction cup city" on the lower 1,000' of downhill.

I have a few more photos posted at https://lhitchner.smugmug.com/Skiing...-April-4-2019/

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	277511

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	277512

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	277513
    Last edited by lhitchner; 04-07-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Ha! Foreigner's complex man, between proper Engrish being beat into me from the age of 10 and anxiety at the thought of not being understood I have developed a rather verbose style. I'm working on a climbing guidebook with a friend and the difference in style is hilarious, he's all about the 2-line description and I can write an epic paragraph for every 50' crappy route I've put up.

No obs today as I was worried about losing the rest of my teeth to the chatter. I know for a fact that mallwalker the glutton skied a great summer trail and probably had his best day of the season so far
    You and mw bringing the stoke!
    I'll buy your book for the writing...and the stoke...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Fun day on the Pfeifferhorn albeit firm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Fun day on the Pfeifferhorn albeit firm.

omg /SICK! thinking of adding an Ice Ax to your pack????
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    omg /SICK! thinking of adding an Ice Ax to your pack????
    Do you think I'm stupid? I had 3 in case I dropped one...

Do you think I'm stupid? I had 3 in case I dropped one...
    with all the weight you saved with those helio poles you can afford to carry an extra ice axe

that video was rad. nicely done

visibility was in and out, but when it was in, we noticed this ramp...

Name:	theramp.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	277481
    MMUUUUAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    What MW isn't saying is that I spotted the ramp in a pic he posted earlier in the week and my devious brain immediately thought of dragging him up there under false pretenses for a surprise send. You don't want to think about a line like that for too long or you'll keep finding more and more reasons not to ski it: too steep, too much exposure, snow will be shitty, too many sketchy jump turns over that big old cliff, etc... It's better to walk right up to it and start booting before your brain catches up. I didn't bring anything sharp to avoid alerting MW to my plans (and as a result ended up shitting myself a wee bit on the steepest part of the booter where 4" of sugar barely covered the quartzite) but he's smart and brought an ice axe just in case. Oh well, I'll do better at concealing my plans next time.

Here's a short vid of some of the line with a bunch of snow hucking the cliff, constantly reminding you of what would happen if you botched a turn.

It took a couple seconds to unclench my buttcheekz after watching that. TallyHo my adventurous friends!
    Bunny Don't Surf

it's hard to see in the video but I'm skiing with an ice axe in my hand along with my ski pole... definitely the most exposure I've skied over / most gripped I've been this year, though I did feel pretty Cham-core when I got to tuck the axe under my shoulder strap for the lower half descent lol

Hell ya mw and boissai! That's definitely the coolest ramp in that area and has caught my attention before! I've only seen tracks down it one other time, well done!

Jtrue, was the second line you skied on Pieff the bottom of Plinko?! that down stepping looked pretty fun, reminded me of "skiing" out of lisa falls earlier this year ha Rad video and thanks for beta on the NW

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Hell ya mw and boissai! That's definitely the coolest ramp in that area and has caught my attention before! I've only seen tracks down it one other time, well done!

Jtrue, was the second line you skied on Pieff the bottom of Plinko?! that down stepping looked pretty fun, reminded me of "skiing" out of lisa falls earlier this year ha Rad video and thanks for beta on the NW
    It was the bottom of Plinko, fun steep little shot! The sneak this year in Lisa was fully skiable when we got it, amazing how fast things change.

it's hard to see in the video but I'm skiing with an ice axe in my hand along with my ski pole... definitely the most exposure I've skied over / most gripped I've been this year, though I did feel pretty Cham-core when I got to tuck the axe under my shoulder strap for the lower half descent lol

ahh..tis hard to see

I never considered a peak that steep..i been to the base before...it's super intimidating.

..are you guys choosing the firmer conditions ,so your avalanche danger is lower on that run ,then with a fresh layer of snowpack?

I have seen one video ,a few years back , someone or a group(cant remember) ,nailed it with some decent snow .. after rappelling in /though I don't know what face was skied that time either.

again/Kudos !
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    ..are you guys choosing the firmer conditions ,so your avalanche danger is lower on that run ,then with a fresh layer of snowpack?
    kind of a "take when you get" approach I suppose, we did have a fresh ~1.5" or so lol

definitely made the wrong call this morning...

Name:	MEH.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	277809

needs a little sun, a little rain and another couple weeks most likely

kind of a "take when you get" approach I suppose, we did have a fresh ~1.5" or so lol

Name:	MEH.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	277809

needs a little sun, a little rain and another couple weeks most likely
    Agreed, also fun to "test yourself" in varying conditions so you can deal with unexpected conditions in other situations. Snow conditions significantly change how you can approach a line and the method in which you slide down it.

more character building : )

also fun to "test yourself" in varying conditions so you can deal with unexpected conditions in other situations. Snow conditions significantly change how you can approach a line and the method in which you slide down it.
    ^^ and totally agree. sweet video btw

Agreed, also fun to "test yourself" in varying conditions so you can deal with unexpected conditions in other situations. Snow conditions significantly change how you can approach a line and the method in which you slide down it.
    Definitely yeah, I also like to change up the skis I'm bringing sometimes (ski pow on my skinny skis, ski crust on my pow skis, etc) for the same reason.