Page 84 of 98 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2438
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Didn't some frenchie do 78,00+ feet in one day?

Take a lap!
    even here, joey camps had 210 days straight and is beating me by over a million vert lol. the bar is high in the wasatch

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    even here, joey camps had 210 days straight and is beating me by over a million vert lol. the lycra is strong in the wasatch
    Fify

Im stoked that a great winter has turned into a awesome spring for you guys. Glad my sacrifice gave you a good second season. At this rate there may be some snow left when Im healed enough to ski again lol.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Anyone else see that we are tied with the 690" record from 2011 at the Bird. I know marketing numbers, but still!!!

Here's to hopefully skiing on the 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Anyone else see that we are tied with the 690" record from 2011 at the Bird. I know marketing numbers, but still!!!

Here's to hopefully skiing on the 4th!
    That makes no sense. The Bird's SNOTEL peaked at about 75% of the 2011 max. Either this year's average storm had 25% lower density snow than in 2011 or the Bird's marketing team's exaggeration factor grows at 6% a year... It's been a spectacular season but we never really touched 2011 and barely tickled 2017. If felt much better than 2017 for some reason, probably because it didn't snow at all in 2018.

Name:  Bird.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  59.8 KB

^ also intriguing that Alta is reporting only 626"

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

even here, joey camps had 210 days straight and is beating me by over a million vert lol. the bar is high in the wasatch
    The 210 days in a row makes my weirdo radar ping.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    The 210 days in a row makes my weirdo radar ping.
    Yeah at that point it's kind of a sickness/obsession, and I question how often he's doing because he has to vs. he wants to.

I got that sickness, I can't stop, won't stop. Good skiing yesterday after work, west aspects were already crusting up but south facing was nice and creamy even with the 8:45 drop. Probably another week or so till the easy access to upper cardiff, days, silver ceases.

Name:  IMG_20190521_195730.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  135.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    That makes no sense. The Bird's SNOTEL peaked at about 75% of the 2011 max. Either this year's average storm had 25% lower density snow than in 2011 or the Bird's marketing team's exaggeration factor grows at 6% a year... It's been a spectacular season but we never really touched 2011 and barely tickled 2017. If felt much better than 2017 for some reason, probably because it didn't snow at all in 2018.

Name:  Bird.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  59.8 KB
    Yeah, I certainly wasn't claiming it was any sort of scientific record, but I didn't realize we were still that far below 2011 on the SNOTEL. Damn marketing numbers getting me going after a few beers!

Snowbird lies like crazy, and gets away with it. If top gets 9" and bottom 2" they report 9". If the bottom gets 7" and top 3" they report 7". I am also pretty sure SB includes their preseason snowfall in their #s, and Alta doesn't. I recall some time in Feb or March this year SB had reported 60" more snow than Alta at that point, which was laughable.

Spin masters.

I skied 2500 feet of east facing cream in Ogden this morning. Pretty crazy given our low elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^whos the only resort spinning chairs now?

Not to say Snowbird is NOT the master of spin. They just have the arrangement to capitalize on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adski View Post
    ^^whos the only resort spinning chairs now?
    Today or yesterday? I think no resort was. Isnt snowbird on Weekends only now?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Today or yesterday? I think no resort was. Isnt snowbird on Weekends only now?
    zing! from the east coast no less!

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Snowbird lies like crazy, and gets away with it. If top gets 9" and bottom 2" they report 9". If the bottom gets 7" and top 3" they report 7". I am also pretty sure SB includes their preseason snowfall in their #s, and Alta doesn't. I recall some time in Feb or March this year SB had reported 60" more snow than Alta at that point, which was laughable.

Spin masters.
    Alta reports Collins mid mountain and historically under reports. I asked the question of OW 10 - 12 years ago while riding the chair with him and he said "so nobody comes in the office and complains".

Spin masters.
    C’mon of course they are going to report what was on top. When you tell yer girl how long your pee-pee is, do you measure when it’s shriveled or saluting? Every resort does what SB does, what do you expect. Some have snowfall listed at lower elevation, which is nice, but you expect them to only count what’s down low for annual snowfall? Whaaaaaaaaat? And as mentioned before everyone knows Alta measures snow at mid-mountain, the elevation is clearly listed. Next time check it out. I hate SB marketing to a point I stopped going there, nobody hates them more than me but let’s be reasonable here.

you obviously mis-read what I typed. If the bottom gets more snow that's what they report. They are not consistent, they cherry pick their #s.

you obviously mis-read what I typed. If the bottom gets more snow that's what they report. They are not consistent, they cherry pick their #s.
    Moreover, they have multiple snow stakes around the mountain to choose from. Brighton started doing the same thing. Most ski resorts try to pick a spot that gets the most snowfall. Some say, "this is how much the base got, this is how much the top got." Its a numbers marketing game and I don't think ski resorts are measuring with much scientific integrity in general. Alta seems to be one of the exceptions. Though the new person in charge of alta's snow reporting for their website doesn't seem to be living up to his predecessor's standards and enthusiasm.

It's akin to them telling us how the number of skiers/snowboarders is dwindling, meanwhile, every other year Utah breaks it's own skier visit days consistently since the 2000s. May have something to do with scanning season passes every time people use it. May have something to do with the super multi-resort season passes. May have something to do with the source of those numbers coming from marketing departments.....

When the snow study plot that marketing used got moved and automated to the top of Gad 2 from the tram base in 2006? I applauded the move. There was also a plot by the Mid Gad Restaurant at that time, but one didn't know what was there until late, relatively. No automation. Alta's #s were coming from the Collins plot, not the base one by the Buckhorn. Gad 2 and the Collins plot have more similarity. The 1st Gad 2 plot was placed on the west side of the patrol shack, top of Election. No trees to the west. Wind blew all the snow away.
    I suggested and we did move it south of the patrol shack 100 yards to its current location. Accurate readings for that elevation, I feel.
    Had to do something, because the tram base became increasingly warmer over the years, and marketing was having to guess amounts.
    Sometimes there was nothing on the tram base stake but rain or slush, when the mountain would have plenty!
    We would measure water equivalent, but what about when you forget to or don't put out the can, 'cause it isn't supposed to rain? Oops.
    I heard they took the Gad 2 snow cam down last year? Kinda easy to not be real with amounts if that actually happened...

If Alta cared about maxing out their snowfall amounts and depth, they would have a stake over at Supreme somewhere to capitalize on general storm flows and orographic lifting. That they stay with their historic plot is a testament to their integrity.

Interesting fact: The winter snowfall and water equivalent totals run November-April. Those are Alta's and everyone else's #s. October and May don't count...except for Snowbird marketing!
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 05-23-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

I did, sorry.

isn't spring the best? 2 dogs w/getoutside

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523-01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	283471

this shit is bananas (and there's a rider in that powdercloud somewhere)

Name:	20190523-02.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	283472

I lol'd at the oingo boingo skinner but then we took it anyway

Name:	20190523-03.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	358.1 KB 
ID:	283473

smooth emma something-or-other to the fucking road

Name:	20190523-04.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	283474

Nice! Best mud season ever!

I can't see any roller balls in your photos, but did you cause any on the North facing slopes?
    How about sinking through the new snow and skidding on the older, firm snow beneath? Did that happen at all?

isn't spring the best? 2 dogs w/getoutside

Name:	20190523-01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	283471

this shit is bananas (and there's a rider in that powdercloud somewhere)

Name:	20190523-02.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	283472

Quote Originally Posted by lhitchner View Post
    I can't see any roller balls in your photos, but did you cause any on the North facing slopes?
    How about sinking through the new snow and skidding on the older, firm snow beneath? Did that happen at all?
    No roller balls on north or south, though we were out by 9. The surface conditions were quite variable and there were a few places where skinning was difficult due to an inch-ish of graupel on a firm base. The snow felt deeper while skinning the south facing, but that may just be because that aspect stayed warm while the north facing got a better overnight freeze...? Not really sure. Obviously a half an hour of sunlight or greenhousing could radically change things, but it was not a bad day by winter standards and outstanding by May 23 standards. The skiing was honestly quite good, absolutely worth it if you are on the fence (and I'm sure tomorrow and probably Saturday morning will be good as well).

e: a ski cut did release a decent sized windslab, fyi. No issue in the terrain we were in, but it propagated with some energy.
    Last edited by mall walker; 05-23-2019 at 02:35 PM.