Page 25 of 98 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I got reamed by an old timer last time I did that. Funny thing was I rode the lift with him right before and he was all smiles, ha. Due to a bad hip flexor I had to boot pack. I told him to fuck off as it was so hard packed I was barely making a dent. Can’t please everyone that’s for sure.
    Often ASP has a keep your skis on sign at the entrance to the East Castle. Don't fucking boot pack in the skin track. I skin when doing the East Castle,so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I got reamed by an old timer last time I did that. Funny thing was I rode the lift with him right before and he was all smiles, ha. Due to a bad hip flexor I had to boot pack. I told him to fuck off as it was so hard packed I was barely making a dent. Can’t please everyone that’s for sure.
    Man, that hike kills hips and knees. Nothing wrong with squaring up to what one is hiking. And few in bounds hikers are skiing with free heels and skins.
    Maybe we should leave skis on for the Apron and Baldy?
    Traditions are hard to break, eh?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Often ASP has a keep your skis on sign at the entrance to the East Castle. Don't fucking boot pack in the skin track. I skin when doing the East Castle,so much easier.
    Been 'trolling there 7 years now. Haven't seen that sign. Musta been before my time. I agree one should never boot a skin track, but this is a sidestep. There should be a boot pack AND a skin track on that approach, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Been 'trolling there 7 years now. Haven't seen that sign. Musta been before my time. I agree one should never boot a skin track, but this is a sidestep. There should be a boot pack AND a skin track on that approach, in my opinion.
    Its a side step except when someone makes it a booter.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    back in the days round the turn of the century when skins only really came in purple and not all the cool kids had em
    my bro was at the gmd for a 150 sumthin day and +700" season id go visit passed over 20 sidesteppers on the ec access one time
    Not sure why the red snake came to the bdoublec yesterday
    and we werent in the canyon by 8 and doing great
    closer to 9 and fuck waiting in line
    bowman to epic speed patrol canyon possible alexander and definately back to bowman
    good creamy pow on sheltered n facing protected slopes and gullies
    variable melt freeze, wind damage and overall low snowpack and much vegetation living and dead
    on the suck side

some icey apres ambiance

and sum urban
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Following up on the 911 vs Alta Central discussion: some years ago, 911 dispatch in Salt Lake County was not very well prepared to deal with emergencies that didn't have street addresses and some rescues were delayed, leading to the advice to place the first call to Alta Central. Now 911 dispatch procedure is to patch UPD into the call the instant the caller mentions Wasatch backcountry accident. UPD coordinates and authorizes heli launches, UPD/UFA personnel and SLCo SAR response, and requests for help to WBR, all the help you need. Alta Central may know where you are but doesn't have those resources. Outside SLCo, 911 is your only choice and results may vary (the price you pay for not dealing with LCC traffic?)

UPD (and rescue pilots, SAR personnel, and WBR) have copies of the WB Ski map with run names. It helps them to know your GPS coordinates, elevation, and slope aspect. I had the unfortunate opportunity to call 911 for a broken leg rescue near short swing a few years ago and got a super fast response including UFA, UPD, WBA volunteers from Solitude patrol, and a snowmobile and sled. The ambulance rolled away from Spruces less than an hour and half after the tree impact (that was under perfect conditions and everyone was moving fast - having a puffy jacket and a charged phone was really nice).

Bottom line: Call 911 for the fastest response.

skipped the cottonwood circus and went to the other canyon for a little tour with the wife and pup. hardly anyone out, we were trailbreaking above the road, so even staying in the skinner the dog was having a hard go of it. we were only out a little over 2 hours and around 4" had fallen on my car at 6k'. roads were an absolute carnival around noon, chaos everywhere, the full SLC shit show on display.

if you got up high today I bet it was good. tomorrow should be unreal. gonna be a good week

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunday-1.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	263155

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Calm down, nobody here is bootpacking the skinner. Why even bring it up?

I’m over an hour and still stopped in BCC as of 2:00pm. Got up to Solli for first chair and skied till 12:30. Nuked all day. Still nuking. But holy fuck this traffic. I passed a VW bug this morning. And have seen a few 2wd asshats now. Still Stuck. Stopped. Hear they closed canyon. Haven’t seen uphill trafffic in 30+ min. The fuck goes on around here. I’ll just blame Cali and Texas like everyone else.

Doing touristy things with family in town today, drove up parley's around noon today. Lots of dumbassery. Hopefully the drive down tonight isn't too bad. Tomorrow should be awesome!

lol @ the mess. How was LCC traffic today?

Snowbasin snowtake has 15" since last night. About 9 inches since 6 am I think. I hit trappers loop at 8 AM, snowbasin road by 810 parked by 820.

Skiied amazing today with refills all day on Strawberry side. Started with wet dense snow then started to dry out and cool down as the day progressed. What a fun day.

Lcc was silly good today. Bypass road got shut down at around 2ish, D gate closed as well. Blackjack was closed, they were stopping people from walking up to their cars. Early arrival and preferred parking for the win.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Lcc was silly good today. Bypass road got shut down at around 2ish, D gate closed as well. Blackjack was closed, they were stopping people from walking up to their cars. Early arrival and preferred parking for the win.
    Thinking of chasing pow down there soon if Montana stays dry. Haven't skied LCC in 10 years. Is driving up the canyon/getting in line at like 4am the standard now when it nukes?

Saw this heading up BCC midday. Guy was sliding all the fuck around. Should've called the cops on em but was laughing too hard.

Name:	IMG_20190106_112435.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	263200

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Yep. Pulled into the lot at 8:15 and out at 4:30. Wasn’t bad either way.

Oh, and it snowed all damn day. Best day of the season for me.

Name:	IMG_3820.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	263229

Only 1.5 hours down the canyon from the gmd at 3pm today.

Sent from my SM-G965U using TGR Forums mobile app

Traffic is powder dependent. Udot shooting decides optimal traffic departure times.

Saw dude in a fwd rental headed up Lcc around 3ish, he was going for it, seesawing side to side with a full line behind him. He was pretty low in the canyon, I’m sure he found better driving conditions higher up.

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	876.2 KB 
ID:	263230

Snow tires, get them, walked right the fuck out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    funny shit right there i hope to avoid
    No, you hope to be there just well equipped.

That was a day for the books, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by fuac View Post
    Following up on the 911 vs Alta Central discussion: some years ago, 911 dispatch in Salt Lake County was not very well prepared to deal with emergencies that didn't have street addresses and some rescues were delayed, leading to the advice to place the first call to Alta Central. Now 911 dispatch procedure is to patch UPD into the call the instant the caller mentions Wasatch backcountry accident. UPD coordinates and authorizes heli launches, UPD/UFA personnel and SLCo SAR response, and requests for help to WBR, all the help you need. Alta Central may know where you are but doesn't have those resources. Outside SLCo, 911 is your only choice and results may vary (the price you pay for not dealing with LCC traffic?)

UPD (and rescue pilots, SAR personnel, and WBR) have copies of the WB Ski map with run names. It helps them to know your GPS coordinates, elevation, and slope aspect. I had the unfortunate opportunity to call 911 for a broken leg rescue near short swing a few years ago and got a super fast response including UFA, UPD, WBA volunteers from Solitude patrol, and a snowmobile and sled. The ambulance rolled away from Spruces less than an hour and half after the tree impact (that was under perfect conditions and everyone was moving fast - having a puffy jacket and a charged phone was really nice).

Bottom line: Call 911 for the fastest response.
    Call both. 911 first, Alta Central second. Reasons why already stated. Especially if in a county outside of the Wasatch Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    That was a day for the books, eh?
    OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Thinking of chasing pow down there soon if Montana stays dry. Haven't skied LCC in 10 years. Is driving up the canyon/getting in line at like 4am the standard now when it nukes?
    It's exponentially worse than 10 yrs ago. If they had a good snow the night before they will close the road in the am for a few hrs for avalanche work. If you get there other than "earlier than you think you should be", you are in a huge, very slow line-up alternating cars at various turn ins. Check the twitter "canyon alert". There is a back way to the mouth (not past the 7/11) that saves some time but still not too good.
    Getting down sucks too! And last year I was in a huge couple mile line-up getting into Snowbasin, and it wasn't even that good of a day. OTOH I was at Powder Mtn last year 2 days after a storm and I skied powder all day with no lines whatsoever!
    Let Gravity Be Your Guide....

anyone got any beta on the inbounds slide on Baldy today? Peruvian was closed from 2pm on.

What a fantastic pow day tho ... made the UTA ski bus clusterfuck down canyon worth it.

Was shocked it wasn't more crowded at Snowbird and the lines I had off the Cirque and Great Scott were completely pristine.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    guesses it was the tudes busiest day ever yesterday
    i thinks maybe theys shut down parts of the bcc this afternoon so the plows could generate nuff speed to clear the road
    dont know if yas asp ers were listenin to the krcl bluegrass express but one of youre old homies is up in montucky now set ya sum jams
    and somethins about guacamole
    well ya knows
    thru the woods and <1"an hour pi rates

not a lot of wind but enuffs to make treebomb icecream headaches a hazard
    and plenty of instabilities showing sluffing within the new snow on steeper pitches

skied like wasatch winter cold smokes blowers oghtta

#vanknows

my momma told me theyll be days like this
    i tells her i quit bummin now we're just
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Picked a good day to fuck up my knee yesterday. Sounds like I missed a real good one.

[Comment on inbounds slide removed. Was based on rumor posted earlier]
    Last edited by monkeywrenchMoose; 01-06-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Bad info.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.