Page 55 of 98 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2438
    Quote Originally Posted by alect47 View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted here before, but this is a pretty great resource and his forecasts have been pretty accurate so far this season.

http://powderbuoy.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/powderbuoy/
    lmao this is like coming in here asking if you guys have ever heard of a ski resort called 'snowbird'

I think that the powderbuoy guy is a PC local. And I agree that Evan is good, especially for specifics, the nice thing about powderbuoy is he forecasts storms like 2 weeks out. He doesn't really do too much in the way of specific #'s forecasting (just uses University of Utah models), but it can be helpful for planning/getting a rough idea when it might snow.

Its also just an interesting correlation that he has found between the buoy height (i think wave height?) and snowfall in Utah.
    There is no correlation. Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    There is no correlation. Troll.
    Excuse Me? I was just trying to share a resource I thought was useful, sorry I did't realize that powderbuoy was the alpinezone of the Wasatch.

Excuse Me? I was just trying to share a resource I thought was useful, sorry I did't realize that powderbuoy was the alpinezone of the Wasatch.
    powderbuoy is the anti-vax, chemtrails, fluoride conspiracy theory kook uncle we all have

anyone up in the upper cottonwoods this afternoon? curious how the early stages of this storm are going

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    anyone up in the upper cottonwoods this afternoon? curious how the early stages of this storm are going
    I have no idea but I can tell you every time I look at the localized forecast they increase the projected amount by a few inches, somewhat of a pattern so far this year. We started at 6-10" and are now at 15-25" by Friday night before the colder storm rolls through.

God I hate Wasatch Snow Forecast. "Hey lemme make money by hyping shit in the distant weather future that may or may not happen, when there's a government agency that already provides weather forecasts, weather forecasts used for aviation, ocean shipping, wildland fire, and a bunch of other stuff. But those aren't good enough for you to decide if you should take next Wednesday or next Thursday off to ski the DEEPEST pow. You gotta listen to me."

If you made choices that limit your ability to ski all the pow, learn to deal with it

^ oh but dude without the stoke meter, how do you know how stoked to get???

I rallied up to SB today after the school run. I skied from 330-415. Snowbird reported 9", there was an honest 3" on the ground at mid gad area. Skied pretty good for 3" though. I suspect the first 36hrs of this storm will be cream cheese, after that will be Utah blower.

NOBODY was on the mountain at 330-415, but you probably knew that. Maybe 20 cars in the Creekside lot.

^ oh but dude without the stoke meter, how do you know how stoked to get???
    Dont worry! I'm developing a crowdsourced stoke app so you can have real time data on when and where to be the most stoked!

Park City was very weird today. Over 1/2 the mountain was on wind hold until 2:00pm. We ran into a few 50mph(isn) gusts. The snow (ice) flakes stung. There are going to be some primo wing pockets in the wasatch tomorrow.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    God I hate Wasatch Snow Forecast. "Hey lemme make money by hyping shit in the distant weather future that may or may not happen, when there's a government agency that already provides weather forecasts, weather forecasts used for aviation, ocean shipping, wildland fire, and a bunch of other stuff. But those aren't good enough for you to decide if you should take next Wednesday or next Thursday off to ski the DEEPEST pow. You gotta listen to me."

If you made choices that limit your ability to ski all the pow, learn to deal with it
    +1. Fook these guys. All pow deserves to be skied, even if it's 1 star short of epic. If you can't figure out that you need a day off work by looking at the NWS Cottonwoods forecast you deserve to stay in the valley. You probably drive a 2WD with bald tires anyway.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS, AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 18-19

HAHA. RESPECT THE BOUY!
    Way fucking better than the Epic stoke meter ffs.

Also, Dan, that Pdog. security guard was the legendary Jerry(RIP). He was the dad of the Marshal and a hilarious, gross old guy who farted a lot and made sure you knew it.
    God forbid he find lodge crashers like you guys. There’s a good spot under the stairs.
    As terrible as it was to hear him yell “Drop your cocks and grab your socks! Maximum Interlodge, straight line to the lodge in 5 minutes!!” At 5:30 am in the Fort, it was one on the best and worst ways ever to wake up. Maximum Interlodge is the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

nice day to stay at home... I was curious how this warm wet thing did at lower elevations. 4-8” I’d guess around 7k’ mill creek. not terribly well bonded to the old snow surface. excellently bonded to my climbing skins. this is after a quite liberal application of glop stop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	269638

I guess high elevation would’ve been the call. it didn’t ski so bad honestly, with fat skis and low expectations maybe worth it...? I won’t have any FOMO though.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    I do believe you are right. Unreal start to the winter. The halloween storm had all terrain open at Snowbird by Nov. 7th '04? With Baldy being last?
    I remember that, was in town for the month skiing and Baldy was open, then having to go back to Montana for Thanksgiving and most of December knowing my local resort there may open in a week with a couple groomers. Different worlds early season.

I figured I could see if it was 2004 by looking back on TGR but the Great Migration happened when, 2006? Def wasn't 2006 or after.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Also, Dan, that Pdog. security guard was the legendary Jerry(RIP). He was the dad of the Marshal and a hilarious, gross old guy who farted a lot and made sure you knew it.
    God forbid he find lodge crashers like you guys. There’s a good spot under the stairs.
    As terrible as it was to hear him yell “Drop your cocks and grab your socks! Maximum Interlodge, straight line to the lodge in 5 minutes!!” At 5:30 am in the Fort, it was one on the best and worst ways ever to wake up. Maximum Interlodge is the good stuff.
    Hah! Awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	269638
    My hip flexors are strained just looking at this pic...

it didn’t ski so bad honestly, with fat skis and low expectations maybe worth it...? I won’t have any FOMO though.
    word. wind still doing its thing although not to yesterday's intensity.

Was thinking of heading up at 2 but apparently it hasn't snowed up there all day?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I remember that, was in town for the month skiing and Baldy was open, then having to go back to Montana for Thanksgiving and most of December knowing my local resort there may open in a week with a couple groomers. Different worlds early season.

I figured I could see if it was 2004 by looking back on TGR but the Great Migration happened when, 2006? Def wasn't 2006 or after.
    It was 03. i remember well since my oldest was born in 04. The wife had a conference in SLC early december. She couldn't ski being due in about 2 months or so, so I spent each morning leaving the grand american with a bunch of neurosurgeons shuttling them to Alta each morning. I was with a different group each day depending on who was skipping the conferences. Each day kept getting better and I couldn't believe the coverage and snow depth for so early. I'm almost certain they had 100" in October that year. I remember thinking I'd be skiing a WROD, but happy nontheless, but it turned into wall to wall mid-winter skiing and almost no one was there. Good times.

That's awesome. And yeah, there was no one around!

I guess high elevation would’ve been the call. it didn’t ski so bad honestly, with fat skis and low expectations maybe worth it...? I won’t have any FOMO though.
    Butler skied great this morning. New snow is a little inverted, high density on lower density snow. Slab avies in the new snow noted as most of the sketchy area at the start of butler fork had slid naturally.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS, AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 18-19

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Was thinking of heading up at 2 but apparently it hasn't snowed up there all day?
    It has definitely snowed up there. Creamy goodness on the top half of the mountain, a bit heavy on the bottom half. Hardly anyone skiing and no lines which was a nice change of pace.
    Last edited by dfinn; 02-14-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    It has definitely snowed up there. Creamy goodness on the top half of the mountain, a bit heavy on the bottom half. Hardly anyone skiing and no lines which was a nice change of pace.
    Yea I ended up going up at 3. Fun afternoon!

Collins sensor went dead after like 5am

the big October was 2004.

Link to Alta snowfall history (122 inches in October '04): https://www.alta.com/conditions/weat...owfall-history

Link to TR with lost pics https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...er-Brighton-TR