Page 20 of 98 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    I bailed at 1230, I KNEW it was going to be a disaster coming down. Just another day of slippery road and dozens of clowns driving 2wd cars with street radials, sliding off the road L&R. Going down at 1230 was a clown show with all the slide offs and tourists going 3mph down the hill. I passed one PU truck going up the hill navigated by a 20yo, spinning the wheels going 2mph above Tanners, with a conga line behind him. Total disaster.

Upd really needs to step up and do their job. They put no effort into keeping people with inappropriate vehicles or if the canyon. Which leads to unsafe conditions for many. If it would have been snowing hard with rising avalanche danger it would have been unreal and very dangerous. Udot plow drivers have been saying the new road surface is very slippery. One of the worst red snakes I've seen and it only snowed 1 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My positive spin after getting home at 9:40 PM: hopefully all the ikon tourons in rental cars will tell their friends that LCC sucks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^^^ the Ikon passholders had a nice four course meal and were in bed before the locals even got to the mouth of the canyon. I imagine they were quite pleased with their ski experience today and pretty happy they booked a room on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    ^^^ the Ikon passholders had a nice four course meal and were in bed before the locals even got to the mouth of the canyon. I imagine they were quite pleased with their ski experience today and pretty happy they booked a room on the mountain.
    Yeah there are totally enough beds for all the ikon holders in LCC. Tell me another story santa?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Upd really needs to step up and do their job. They put no effort into keeping people with inappropriate vehicles or if the canyon. Which leads to unsafe conditions for many. If it would have been snowing hard with rising avalanche danger it would have been unreal and very dangerous. Udot plow drivers have been saying the new road surface is very slippery. One of the worst red snakes I've seen and it only snowed 1 inch.

I previously posted the response I received from the Mayor of Alta last year. He said the UPD has no budget for checking cars and even if they did they have no place to allow for offending vehicles to turn around. What a joke, vehicles were turned around for years but all of a sudden no place to do so. UPD has 450 sworn officers + detectives etc. He's telling me they can't put an officer for a few hours in the AM to stop ill equipped 2WD vehicles. They have plenty of time to "keep on eye" on the White Pine Parking lot or just sitting in the plow turn around pulling their pud. I am convinced they want it to be crappy and screwed up to justify big expenditures. With that said 4WD was not much benefit on the snot on the road last night, good tires yes. We left the GMD at 8:20 and got home about 9:30. The temps yesterday rendered salt ineffective. Not sure why UDOT would not have closed the road and done a couple of good down canyon scrapes to remove the small amount of snow before the shit show started.

FWIW I did not see one UPD squad the entire way down.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    they are super busy patrolling dimple dell
    unleashed dogs are raising havoc and endangering life and limb
    they are also busy printing flyers looking for an dog in violation of the bcc watershed rules
    they were gonna put mcgruff on it but hes a dog and if he pisses or shits in the canyon our drinking water will be ruined
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Unifried Bacon is so strapped for cash they can only write tickets for speeders and bust the devil weed in the canyons. A simple thing like keeping dangerous vehicles out that threaten the safety of everyone on the most avy spakled road in the country is simply out of the scope of what RoscoPColtrane is supposed to do.

Name:  rcpct.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  20.6 KB

Maybe we should all pitch in and hire some surly Tongans to turn 2wd/summer tire/Ikon passholders around at the canyon mouth.

Name:  tonga.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  12.2 KB

Not rubbing anything in, but last night was another prime reason to live up the canyon, eh tBatt, eh Lone star?
    Agree bigdude, there was room at the mouth to turn cars around for many years.
    Funny how the cars musta got bigger at the same time the mouth of the canyon musta got smaller.
    World class skiing with a third world delivery system.
    With an international airport just over yonder, one would think that this weak link woulda been straightened out long ago.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Maybe do what the Ogden folks did by towing the vehicles parked on the road in a No Parking Zone. That was totally shitty after allowing it, writing a few tickets would have been sufficient. They need to make it abundantly clear if you drive up a restricted canyon you get a ticket, car towed and impounded. Do that a few times and word spreads quickly. Rental car companies will warn every customer that rents a 2WD with ski racks what's going to happen. Those folks are candidates for the bus which is what we want anyway.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i think upd needs the money to fund a millcreek dui checkpoint tonight
    .05 bac safety smackdown stuff matters more
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i think upd needs the money to fund a millcreek dui checkpoint tonight
    .05 bac safety smackdown stuff matters more
    Just saw that also. Hundreds of sober drivers should inundate the check point.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah there are totally enough beds for all the ikon holders in LCC. Tell me another story santa?
    There were unsold rooms in the canyon last night.

All the Sugar House cats are pissed, but the New Yorkers who fly in and stay and dine on the hill are having a ball.

Guess which ones pay the bills...

missed the xmas feast, but thanks for saving me some leftovers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powder-turns-2.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	261877

damn nice to be back wandering around in frigid temps in the dark. definitely had some screamy barfies, it felt a lot colder than the car thermometer said, and that said 12F. the wind was cranking and visibly moving snow, but not adding up to much of an effect where I was. bet that's different higher up.

Name:	skintrack-pr0n.JPG 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	261878

Name:	sunrise-pr0n-1.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	261879

Name:	powder-turns-1.JPG 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	261880

good enough for seconds and thirds.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I previously posted the response I received from the Mayor of Alta last year. He said the UPD has no budget for checking cars and even if they did they have no place to allow for offending vehicles to turn around. What a joke, vehicles were turned around for years but all of a sudden no place to do so. UPD has 450 sworn officers + detectives etc. He's telling me they can't put an officer for a few hours in the AM to stop ill equipped 2WD vehicles. They have plenty of time to "keep on eye" on the White Pine Parking lot or just sitting in the plow turn around pulling their pud. I am convinced they want it to be crappy and screwed up to justify big expenditures. With that said 4WD was not much benefit on the snot on the road last night, good tires yes. We left the GMD at 8:20 and got home about 9:30. The temps yesterday rendered salt ineffective. Not sure why UDOT would not have closed the road and done a couple of good down canyon scrapes to remove the small amount of snow before the shit show started.

FWIW I did not see one UPD squad the entire way down.
    I remember the same....they used to have police at the mouth of both Little and Big turning cars away. I lived in the Utard from 94 to 2005. We have our own problems with I-70 here on the Front Range but at least CDOT is now enforcing traction laws on I-70 and fining people. Some of the fines are pretty steep if you actually impede traffic and have it posted on all the highway alert signs going up to the resorts.

I get the IKON hate but am happy to have days in LCC now...we are coming out over April fools and staying at the Rustler so won't be messing up the canyon for you all.

Sounds like yesterday was brutal getting down. I saw someone else mentioned the new road surface. Anyone else think its so smooth it becomes icier? I have no idea if that actually is what's happening but if the road is less porous it makes sense. Right?

For Tomo

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I can't reply to the one I want to (maybe too old, who knows, I'm new here). Anyway, Tomo, I came across you thread offering Helio 95s, bindings, and skins about 6 months ago with no indication of them being sold. Are they still available? I'm interested. Thanks and sorry again for being off topic.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    missed the xmas feast, but thanks for saving me some leftovers

Name:	powder-turns-2.JPG 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	261877

damn nice to be back wandering around in frigid temps in the dark. definitely had some screamy barfies, it felt a lot colder than the car thermometer said, and that said 12F. the wind was cranking and visibly moving snow, but not adding up to much of an effect where I was. bet that's different higher up.

Name:	skintrack-pr0n.JPG 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	261878

Name:	sunrise-pr0n-1.JPG 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	261879

Name:	powder-turns-1.JPG 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	261880

good enough for seconds and thirds.
    I still think this place needs a fucking like button..maybe call it a stoke meter or something, but we need. This post is $$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by steadieflow View Post
    I remember the same....they used to have police at the mouth of both Little and Big turning cars away. I lived in the Utard from 94 to 2005. We have our own problems with I-70 here on the Front Range but at least CDOT is now enforcing traction laws on I-70 and fining people. Some of the fines are pretty steep if you actually impede traffic and have it posted on all the highway alert signs going up to the resorts.

I get the IKON hate but am happy to have days in LCC now...we are coming out over April fools and staying at the Rustler so won't be messing up the canyon for you all.
    They surely enforced more back in the oughts. Seems to have changed round 2012ish.

I still think this place needs a fucking like button..maybe call it a stoke meter or something, but we need. This post is $$$$$$
    cheers when you coming back to gods country for a trip??

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    cheers when you coming back to gods country for a trip??
    Not fucking soon enough. Was looking at flights today though so.....???? Maybe end Feb. Figured things are at least filled in by then everywhere even if there isn't pow during my visit. Hope in one hand and shit in the other. See which fills first is what my dad used to say. I'll keep hoping though.

Talking

They surely enforced more back in the oughts. Seems to have changed round 2012ish.

They have to destroy the traffic in order to implement their plans for BCC and LCC. Making it up the canyon on a 1" snow day is not in their agenda. I'll put away the tin foil hat now.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    They have to destroy the traffic in order to implement their plans for BCC and LCC.
    Kinda agree here. Not to be all conspiracy theory, but in the 12 years I lived there things on LCC road changed for the worse. I used to line up at 630-645 and be right up neat gate a waiting. Nowadays I'd be way back near the merge at that time.
    Make the local residents (non skiers) bitch enough about traffic it'll help move the new "road projects" forward. I still stand by gondola idea mostly based on environment impact alone.

Kinda agree here. Not to be all conspiracy theory, but in the 12 years I lived there things on LCC road changed for the worse. I used to line up at 630-645 and be right up neat gate a waiting. Nowadays I'd be way back near the merge at that time.
    Make the local residents (non skiers) bitch enough about traffic it'll help move the new "road projects" forward. I still stand by gondola idea mostly based on environment impact alone.

The gondola will happen. Snowbird is pushing hard for an Olympic ski event. And had been actively floating gondola idea behind the scene. 3rd lane in canyon and gondola as second means of egress. Huge parking structure at the mouth on NF land. Ski resorts don't want to pay for it so they'll get the Olympic committee to do it. With so many venues already built they'll have the cash to do this. Let the traffic get out of control and it's an easy sell.

Last night sucked big time. Worst is that the business' in Alta are totally incapable of cashing in on so many hungry mouths. If there was just somewhere to eat it wouldn't be nearly as bad a wait. Has the gmd and Albion grill ever not run out of food on one of these nights? Ski town where you can't get a burger and fries after 4. Ski resort could cash in on that but won't get a base lodge as they can't negotiate a land swap. More than hotel guests. Slc locals pay the bills for Alta. I lived as a caretaker up there for a decade. And did time in employee housing for years before that. Bought a house and moved down. Wouldn't move back. Have my own space now that's far superior 355 days of the year. Hell there's cars from the valley in Alta 2 minutes after interlodge is lifted. More than anything it's pathetic that this problem has had zero proactive ideas put in from those who can do something about it for so long.

Not fucking soon enough. Was looking at flights today though so.....???? Maybe end Feb. Figured things are at least filled in by then everywhere even if there isn't pow during my visit. Hope in one hand and shit in the other. See which fills first is what my dad used to say. I'll keep hoping though.
    yeah that’s when I’m planning for my old man to come to his first utarded ski touring turns. seems like the best time if you’re hedging bets. although BBIUT would be a nice time for a trip...